Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 PM

Default Savage - The good, the bad, the ugly

My first Savage arrived after a much too long of wait, but I guess I was never in any hurry to get it either.... 1 year... 3 months... 16 days later...

It's a model 14 American Classic in .223 LH. It's got the new accustock fixings so the bolt release is by the trigger guard and it's got the smooth barrel nut.

Currently mounted on it is a Leupold VX III 3.5-10x40 but I have a used 4.5-14x40 AO that I purchased coming.

This is my first 90 degree bolt throw gun and if their all the same I'll be going back to 60 degree offerings. I like some clearance.

If you can see, their is an air gap between the bolt and side of receiver. Not really a fan of that because water/snow/rain can fall right through into the magazine.

Not a fan of the location of the rear rings. I think there's plenty of room to mount the adjustable windage screws between the two screws. I'll won't be changing them because there's no sense but not much I can do now. I got no clue what the black dots are for. They serve no purpose as far as I can tell besides appearance. Rear ring base had very long screws to screw into the action, a good thing. However the front ring base, the screws are very short. Probably each one only screwed in 3/32" while the rear ones went in 3/16"

Pretty poor wood to metal fit on the underside only. The bolt is really nicely polished. Also the same polishing pattern on the bolt is on the barrel as well. I slid the bolt back and forth probably 200 times and it's a lot smoother already.

What else... The detachable mag takes some getting used to. It snaps in sorta special. Also there is a plastic plug in it. I think they use a standard SA for their .223's.

There is an ugly mold line along the bolt handle

Also when feeding from the mag, the bullet tips rub the feed ramp that pushes them up to the chamber - it is center feed and I think center feed overall is smoother than an offset magazine design. I always complained about the Tikka t3 mags being hard to load the 3rd round. This mag is hard to load the 2nd/3rd/4rth. I guess that's the benefit of a staggered mag, more room to push them in.

The accutrigger I like, the metal peice you have to push in binds if you don't push it straight back, makes for a better smoother trigger pull when you know your pulling it straight. I have already lowered it to the lightest it will go. Really easy and really nice now.

I find after some shots the bolt is quite difficult to cycle, specifically the upstroke to re cock. I've heard you can get your bolts worked over. Perhaps this will be done in the near future.

It's got a 3 position safety that I fail to use. I'm used to the browning bolt 2 position safety.

Accuracy wise it was shooting 1.5 MOA. I was prone on a wagon with my bipod. No rear support besides my arms.

It does feel like a solid rifle overall. It seems as if it's half arsed pillar bedded, I say half arsed because their are metal pillars in which the action screws go through, but the screw/action don't pinch the pillar tight between them and the pillars are not epoxied in. I'll be glass bedding the rifle as well as the recoil lug could use it especially.

What else can I say. Balances nice. Looks pretty good for a Savage. Right now I don't think I'll be getting another, mainly due to the bolt/scope clearance - it it the same for all 90 degree guns? If so I'm never getting another 90 degree gun, I think I said that already.

Really like the cartridge - .223. Plan is to shoot 69 grain matchkings or similar bullet which is why I got the Savage - 1 in 9 twist.

I think it'll be a love hate relation, but I really do like it. For the price, you get what you get. It'll see a lot of use. I know that much and surprisingly all the minor imperfections don't bother me that much! Either way I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by Jerry D; 01-31-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 PM

Well thats the nicest Savage I have seen. Some of your points would be hard to get used to. The 60 or 90 degree thing is a preference. I like them both in different guns. The air gap on the bolt bothered me too. It just looks like it was not planned out right. Savages are what they are. A good cheap gun. After inspecting one of the high end ones I figured I would never own one for myself. Just not finished enough. But if my kids wanted one then why not. Nothing major wrong with them.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 PM

Savages are not known for their 'classic looks' but to me they look just fine for a working gun, a role they perform very well, especailly for the price.

Yours looks nice though, sure, its no Sako, Kimber, Cooper, Heym or Hagn in the looks dept but it certainly isn't ugly!

Scope mounts? Savages have wide mount spacing for sure (try the long action!). However it does seem to waste space with that extended base.

Is there actually any action where the bolt will 'seal' the magazine well from water? I think not.

Nice rifle, I am sure it will be a great varminter!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 PM

Accustock is plastic not wood. Try and sell those leupy mounts, had 'em they suck. You can put the adjustable windage mount on front to clear up some ejection port space, but I find regular Weaver mounts are better. Those 69gr SMK over 25gr Varget will suit you well.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 AM

Solve your ring spacing problem with leupold QRW bases and Burris Signature rings.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Nice Gun!

I Hate!! I mean positivley dont like savage,but i'd have to agree with poppaw,that yours is the best i've ever seen.That is a great looking gun.Is the fore-end even wood? the jeweling on the bolt looks good!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM

Oh this is strange.... a balanced post that acknowledges both positives and negatives... I'm not used to that here. I don't know how to handle it!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM

I have a savage in 243 with the camo stock and blued barrel. The accutrigger to a bit of getting use to. The fit and finish is pretty poor around the barrel but for the money it shoots good. i can group about 2-3 inches in a "ho-hum" day of shooting at 200 yds.
Mine is not a tack driver, but for a guy that was on a super-tight budget, it works fine for me. I have no problem knocking off coyotes with it, if the dam things would just set still, .
Defintaly takes some getting use to, but i wouldnt think of trading it or selling it.
Atleast its not a "great american legendary-brand-name gun", that has stamped on the barrel, **MADE IN JAPAN**
Good luck with your new gun, hope its a shooter!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Gone Hunting

JerryD

That is probably the best rifle review I have ever read on a Forum. You have pointed out what you like and what you don't like but in the end... "think it'll be a love hate relation, but I really do like it. For the price, you get what you get. It'll see a lot of use. I know that much and surprisingly all the minor imperfections don't bother me that much! Either way I'm a happy camper."

So often you see narrow minded comments like "the frikin sling swivel is too close to the end of the stalk, what a piece of garbage, I will never buy a Winshooster again!!!"

There is a space in my gun cabinet for a .223, maybe I will look at a savage.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Banned

I too think it's a well done non-biased review, Chuck wouldn't have done any better. When evaluating fit and finish on a gun, never forget what you paid for it. My friend has a Sako 75 in .338WM which displays a lot of the same flaws as the Savage described herein does. But, it's a grand more and it doesn't shoot very well due to a pressure point along the barrel channel. Most of the flaws afflicting the Savage, receiver-wood fit, recoil lug and pillars are easily fixed with a nicely done bedding job. And I do admit being partial to Savage guns because they are a good utility gun that shoots with the best of them....sure there is nicer out there, but you also pay more.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I Hate!! I mean positivley dont like savage,but i'd have to agree with poppaw,that yours is the best i've ever seen.That is a great looking gun.Is the fore-end even wood? the jeweling on the bolt looks good!

That was nice. I was waiting for you to see this thread.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
That was nice. I was waiting for you to see this thread.
LOL,I'm Trying to turn a new Leaf.Does'nt mean that I Still dont hate savage and think they are junk.But thats only my opinion,and i'm only one individual.Buddy's .223 is an exception.I'm not going to lie and say his gun looks bad,because it does'nt.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Well guys say what you want about savage. I absolutely love myne. its a camo stock .243 with the package simmons scope. Although the scope is very cheap it shoots very well, That thing hits and kills anything its pointed at. The accu trigger is also very good but i guess im not picky about triggers.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Default You get What You Pat For

Hear is another classuc case of i wanted a highend sako etc but dont want to spend the money so i will buy a savage foe 1/2 the price and expect the same fit and finish as stated the are a good lower end rifle the shoot straight and do the job thats it