Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 AM

that isnt a lie. the bullet drop was 140 inches using custum amunition. we were using his dads 300win mag with leupold boone and crocket scope ballistically callibrated for the load. we had about a 5 km quareting wind which nocked the bullet over by about 40inches it was about -10 which doesnt affect the ammo since it was just takin out of the house. we had a good rest using his bi-pod and his backpack as a rear rest. after we took everything into acount he fired and their was a seconds delay then the coyote droped. were not your average kids, this is our world we spend every penny on ammunition and gear. we shot every day and we usually go coyote huntin. we kno our ballistics, our gear and our rifles. we can get coyotes in closer than 100 yards but its fun takin long shots to. lick did come in to but he still did it and thats not bs
Old 02-06-2010, 02:03 AM

Ah fer the luv of Pete.

Go buy a 270 Win. that suites yer fancy, scope it with at least $400.00 worth of glass that can be warranty repaired in Canada, and learn how to shoot! Try some Shillouette, try some Tacticool stuff, and try some other shooting styles/events, become an accomplished rifleman first, then become a gun loonie, and buy and sell till you wish you had that 270 back. Then go hunt your critters long.

Ah crap, impaired typing at it's best.

sorry gang

There are no absolutes
Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
i have a 338-375 weatherby and i love it... shot my whitetail with it this year... wasnt even an exit wound... and it didnt even hurt it anymore than the 7mm
Cool,your rifle will shoot a 225 grain nosler accubond @ 3200 feet per second.There's so much energy with the 338-378 cartridge.definatley My next Rifle.My biggest cartridge Is a 300 wby,which is plenty,but I want to see the 338-378 in action!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ah fer the luv of Pete.

Go buy a 270 Win. that suites yer fancy, scope it with at least $400.00 worth of glass that can be warranty repaired in Canada, and learn how to shoot! Try some Shillouette, try some Tacticool stuff, and try some other shooting styles/events, become an accomplished rifleman first, then become a gun loonie, and buy and sell till you wish you had that 270 back. Then go hunt your critters long.

Ah crap, impaired typing at it's best.

sorry gang
Great points Dick284.Can you teach noneck180 as well? I am to busy typing.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

later

Last edited by noneck180; 02-06-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Justin.

are you still yappin like that little puppy that needs a slap?? why be a Coward and post what your true colors,, instead of PMs with your Fyou, Foffs, or is PMing your lack of intellagence by using improper language,, just another sign you are Coward.
Come on out and I will more than slap you.I was staying with in message board rules. You should read them.Does not say anything of me telling you you are a Jackazz in a PM............Go cry some where else.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

Coward,,

You can bet,, you will get whats coming
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Coward,,

You can bet,, you will get whats coming
Quit your crap. Grow up.Move on.

I bet you cant not reply to this.
As far as this thread goes sounds like your 300 win is good enough for a coyote. It will take down everything else as well.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Quit your crap. Grow up.Move on.

I bet you cant not reply to this.
As far as this thread goes sounds like your 300 win is good enough for a coyote. It will take down everything else as well.

Good choice,, but the 284 cal is ballistically superior,, unless you move up to larger 30 Cal magnums , then recoil has to be taken into consideration, but one can use a Muzzlebreak, cost of ammo also goes up substantially, whether you reload or buy factory ammo IMHO.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 PM

I'm really impressed with my 300 win mag. I've taken many big game animals with it and most of them with one shot. I took a big muley at 362 meters this fall and was surprised at how little it dropped. My optics are moderate at best but even with good optics anything more than 400 yards is not hunting its more like shooting.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
30-06 will do anything you ask of it, anything more is a waste
x2
Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Excuse me....I think we are on track.....was it being said here that the guys who want to buy a gun like they see in their videos, to kill anything at any range....are not living in the real world.....go "hunting" and make a clean and humane kill...and don't start with the nonsense..I shot a deer at 600 yards....NOBODY can kill an animal consisently at over 400 yards under hunting conditions...anyone that says they can, fails to mention the others that he has hit with a non-killing shot or a cow or calf in the "general vicinity".....bench rest and hunting are 2 very different things!!
Alright lets set some things straight. I in fact dont own a gps and dont want one, i use a plain old compass. And dam strait i text, but thats the way we are today, just because all you had was "tellagrams" back in your day doesnt mean you have to down play kids today. And now on to rifles, i never intend to shoot at a deer past 600 yards, in perfect conditions. I want long range to shoot targets and coyotes with my friend ritter. And like ritter said, we arent your average kids, we hunt and fish and can keep up with or mabey even out hunt you old guys any day. I spend all summer, spotting and using my trail cam and getting ready for bow season, and ritter and me are both very capable of stalking within ten or twenty yards of deer, we've done it lots. We shoot year round, doesnt matter if its gophers, crows, coyotes or even plastic army men in the back yard. And ive always been interested in the science and art of long range shooting, and why not get started young?(your dealing with two 15 year olds) And i think its pretty nice to have the confidence to make a 500 yard shot just in case. I only asked this question to see what some ideas were for some long range set ups, instead i got a bunch of ***hole comments from guys who seem to have it out for young hunters, but then they whine and complain when the future of hunting looks doubtfull, just think about that...
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Bullseye,,

Keep it up, I grew up the same way, and I am still learning each time I go out, keep asking questions, most of all keep experimenting and don't get discouraged.

Keep Shooting