Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 PM

Default Hornady Leverevolution ammo

I'd like to know folks' thoughts about and experiences with the Leverevolution cartridges. They seem to make sense to me and I like the published ballistics up to 200 yds. I like the way the Marlin lever actions handle and I've read the .35 Rem is an awesome caliber for putting deer down within suitable range.

I'm only interested in obtaining a rifle for still-hunting or stand hunting the woods for small whitetail bucks and does (I'm not interested in trophies, just nice meat). A lifetime of shotgun experience has made me reluctant to take a scoped rifle into the woods. I already have a scoped .270 for longer-range shooting and I have a decent Lee Enfield that's been tidied up into a nicely-balanced rifle - but you know how it is. I have an itch to buy a new gun. I'm not of a physical stature that would enjoy a heavy gun or outsized recoil. My 100 year old .303 scares the crap out of me (I'm mainly saving it for when the Chinese invade - give 'em a taste of British military history.)

Plus, I've always wanted a Marlin lever action rifle. Does anyone have a good reason for NOT buying one for the type of hunting I've described?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 PM

I tried the levereloution in 30 30 a year or 2 back not only does it shoot flatter but it was more accurate than conventioal loads I had tried
Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 AM

I love the stuff, and if you were thinking of a 30-30, the hornaday rounds are only $25 a box at wholesale sports. I have a Mossberg 464 30-30(love it too at only $399) and shot 4 brands, 2 boxes of each ammo one day just to get a feel for what seemed to shoot best. the hornaday was more accurate, I cant say for how far out it shoots as I was shooting at a distance of under 100 yards but LeverEvolution did seem to have just a hair bit more recoil or kick. I wont be buying anything else anymore myself.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 AM

I believe the leverevolution bullets are the best for our lever guns. We shoot both a Marlin 30/30 and 4570 - the bullets are great and allow you to push the 4570 out past normal ranges...makes the 30-30 a deadly killer at a bit longer range...for what you are describing, I would be all over a 3030 Marlin or even the 45-70. I makes a great bush gun, the recoil is obviously more, but provides more options if you want to move up to moose/elk. Also my 45-70 is great companion for hikes/fishing in bear country.
thumbs up for the leverevolution ammo!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 AM

I have a marlin 336 in 30-30. I haven't tried leverevolution ammo. The way I figure it I don't think you would notice any improvement unless you were using a scope. Maybe I'm wrong but I am happy with the groups that I get with 170 grain ammo out to 100 yards. Further than that and I think open sights would be limiting you more than ammo.

If I put a scope on it I would likely be using leverevolution.
just my $.02
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Not 100% sure because i have never measured them but i have been told on more than one occasion that the brass for these rounds is shorter to accommodate the longer bullet and not exceed the OAL for cycling through a lever gun. If this is true a person might want to keep these brass seperate from the rest.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM

I have wanted to try it since i got my Marlin but I can not find any in Calgary, does anyone know where a guy could get some .430 in a 265 grain..
thanks
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Both my Grandfathers would roll in their graves if i put pointed gimmicky bullets in the lever actions i have been handed down. The .30-.30 and .45-70 are true classic calibers that have been tried, true and proven for over 100 years. If you feel more confident with pointy bullets in your lever gun go for it. I do not feel handicapped at all using the tried and true bullets. As for the previous poster talking about using them in a .45-70 for bear defense, i wouldn't even think about it. The .45-70 starts and ends with a 405 grain hard lead cast bullet with BHN rating of 25. When your talking bear defense, Leverlution bullets would be my last pick. Heavy, hard and a wide meplate is what you want. Those Leverlutions will not have the penetration that you would get from a hardcast bullet.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Why not just buy a BLR ? With a box magazine you can utilize ammo with better balistics. This new evolution ammo is not on everyones shelves.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Has anyone been out with this ammo at -30? I wonder how safe the tip is when the temp goes down.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
Has anyone been out with this ammo at -30? I wonder how safe the tip is when the temp goes down.
I have read articles that hornady did do extensive cold weather testing but cannot remember to what temp they went down to.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM

It's been tested at temperatures from -40 to +130 degrees F
Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Plus, I've always wanted a Marlin lever action rifle. Does anyone have a good reason for NOT buying one for the type of hunting I've described?

For the type of hunting and your situation, I cannot think of one good reason to not get a 336 in 30-30 or .35 Rem, either way, both will work very well for you DanJ. I can however think of a good reason to one particularly if you've always liked them. Remington is probably going to really screw with this fine lever arm maker. The rumour mill has it that there will be none available in Canada in the not too distant future.

I've fired the LeverEvolution in my .444 and they don't chrono any faster than my Hornady 265gr. reloads. at the muzzle. They do have a higher BC than the flat points so they obviously retain higher velocity at 100 or 200 yds. I've also put a box of LE ammo in the freezer overnight and the flex tips remain soft enough that I can't see them causing a chain reaction in the tubular mag. I've seen the drop test conducted by Hornady and based on that and my own freezer test, I have no issues with them.

Hornady is now providing the FXT (flextip) bullet as a reloading component. As soon as I can get my hands on some, I'll be working some loads and testing. I won't even bother looking for them in Calgary as there is a better source of most stuff elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Why would Remington stop Canadian distribution?