Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Default Status Natives

I have been reading the other native reserve thread and some one stated that status natives can hunt anytime any where. My wife is a full status indian from the Queen Charelette islands and hunts. She has a wildlife certificate and buys tags. Is it true that she doesn't need a wildlife certificate and tags to hunt crown land? I always thought that natives could only hunt reserves anytime and crown land during the hunting season. Maybe I am confused with metis indians.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Smile I think pretty much anywhere any time.

The treaty rights did not envisage a society or country that we have now but the rights to hunt last as long as the rives flow and the grass grows.

Some of the fellows I know don't hunt either because they are not interested or in one case " doesn't think that there are enough animals". Perry Large.

The other fellow who does hunt was taking his young son with him moose hunting, and I asked if he didn't think it was dangerous. He looked up and said, "We don't go when you guys are out there". Jim Cardinal.

Seems fair to me.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

The other fellow who does hunt was taking his young son with him moose hunting, and I asked if he didn't think it was dangerous. He looked up and said, "We don't go when you guys are out there". Jim Cardinal.

Seems fair to me.
Heh...less chance of getting scoped staying out of the rifle seasons.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM

Hunting crown land and some of the problems you may encounter. some clown demands to see tags, try's to kick you off crown land (lol), tells you to get a job(funny we are both here on a Tuesday), calls you in to report a poacher even though you're hunting with tags and following all rules (but officer they're ..... Indians.... They must be doing something wrong)
And it goes on and on. Obviously not everybody is like that but a few are. So be aware of what you're doing before you take your "wife" hunting.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Hunting crown land and some of the problems you may encounter. some clown demands to see tags, try's to kick you off crown land (lol), tells you to get a job(funny we are both here on a Tuesday), calls you in to report a poacher even though you're hunting with tags and following all rules (but officer they're ..... Indians.... They must be doing something wrong)
And it goes on and on. Obviously not everybody is like that but a few are. So be aware of what you're doing before you take your "wife" hunting.
Dont talk like this.. you are apparently making judgements of what other forum members are thinking.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Dont talk like this.. you are apparently making judgements of what other forum members are thinking.
Would it be fair to then tell myself to get a job like the rest of us I mean you
Old 10-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
yeah! No kidding!

The guy quoting the word "wife"....why did you have to emphasize that? She's his wife. period. Just like I'm my husbands wife.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I have been reading the other native reserve thread and some one stated that status natives can hunt anytime any where. My wife is a full status indian from the Queen Charelette islands and hunts. She has a wildlife certificate and buys tags. Is it true that she doesn't need a wildlife certificate and tags to hunt crown land? I always thought that natives could only hunt reserves anytime and crown land during the hunting season. Maybe I am confused with metis indians.
Yes you are confused with Metis... i was going to say more... but.. i reallynhave a hard time believing that if she is treaty status...that she is un aware of her hunting options. Im treaty status.. and mny members heee are as well.. just 95% of them dont make it known due to obvious reasons.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Yes you are confused with Metis... i was going to say more... but.. i reallynhave a hard time believing that if she is treaty status...that she is un aware of her hunting options. Im treaty status.. and mny members heee are as well.. just 95% of them dont make it known due to obvious reasons.
Two things here, are you saying that you don't believe the op, that he is making this up. Secondly why do you say these other members are hiding for obvious reasons, you should be proud of who you are. It sure sounds like you are making judgements on other forum members, by saying status Indians and or métis Indians have to hide on this forum for obvious reasons, that is a definate judgement.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Two things here, are you saying that you don't believe the op, that he is making this up. Secondly why do you say these other members are hiding for obvious reasons, you should be proud of who you are. It sure sounds like you are making judgements on other forum members, by saying status Indians and or métis Indians have to hide on this forum for obvious reasons, that is a definate judgement.
Is that u in the bottom slapping yourself?

Not making a judgement. I am aware if just over 30 status indians on this forum... how many do you know of? Only a handful post anything. And you know why. Dont tell me you are so blind, as to not see what almost every thread on native subsistence hunting leads to...or native status rights threads. Ya.. you snap out of it.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Default Native hunting rights

I've done much research on the topic and I've found you are allowed within alberta, Manitoba , and Saskatchewan. Other than that every other province has different rules, certain provinces have certain areas you may hunt if your tribe is from that province, like bc. Other than that I do not know the other provinces rules or regulations on aboriginal harvest of wild game.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM

they should make it standard hunting rules across the board for natives .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggameassassin View Post
I've done much research on the topic and I've found you are allowed within alberta, Manitoba , and Saskatchewan. Other than that every other province has different rules, certain provinces have certain areas you may hunt if your tribe is from that province, like bc. Other than that I do not know the other provinces rules or regulations on aboriginal harvest of wild game.
in the Saskatchewan hunters and trappers guide(regulations book) it reads

It is a violation to
aid or assist people who are exercising their Aboriginal hunting rights unless you possess Aboriginal rights or a permit to assist
so you SOL if you want to take her hunting in this province unless you get a permit to assist her
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Is that u in the bottom slapping yourself?

Not making a judgement. I am aware if just over 30 status indians on this forum... how many do you know of? Only a handful post anything. And you know why. Dont tell me you are so blind, as to not see what almost every thread on native subsistence hunting leads to...or native status rights threads. Ya.. you snap out of it.
Clearly the snapping out of it icon was for you, clearly it didn't work. Does it matter how many status Indians I know, this is not a competition. I am glad there are all sorts on this forum it makes for better discussion. I feel like these discussions are to close to your heart for you to call, let me guess you will make another comment at the end of this thread and then close it, maybe another moderator should watch these threads, sure there are bad apples in every bunch, simply weed them out, this is obviously a discussion that needs to be had by all the comments and threads that are started.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Is that all you got?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Clearly the snapping out of it icon was for you, clearly it didn't work. Does it matter how many status Indians I know, this is not a competition. I am glad there are all sorts on this forum it makes for better discussion. I feel like these discussions are to close to your heart for you to call, let me guess you will make another comment at the end of this thread and then close it, maybe another moderator should watch these threads, sure there are bad apples in every bunch, simply weed them out, this is obviously a discussion that needs to be had by all the comments and threads that are started.
This is a classic comment a i get on a regular basis... even if i sneeze at a native thread. I guess you will just have to suck it up and move along. I was wondering when you would find your opening at me. But thats okay. We are going to get through this together.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
She is definitley Treaty status. We also just got our son his status card. (He is only 50% native.) None of her family hunts. (more fisherman) I took her out 5 years ago and shot a doe with her in the ground blind and she has been hooked ever since. Thanks for the information everybody, just saved me about a 100 bucks in tags that weren't needed.

She is very proud of her heritage and doesn't mind letting everybody know. And yes, she works a full time job, except right now as she is on maternity leave for our second child. (A beautiful little girl)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
She is definitley Treaty status. We also just got our son his status card. (He is only 50% native.) None of her family hunts. (more fisherman) I took her out 5 years ago and shot a doe with her in the ground blind and she has been hooked ever since. Thanks for the information everybody, just saved me about a 100 bucks in tags that weren't needed.

She is very proud of her heritage and doesn't mind letting everybody know. And yes, she works a full time job, except right now as she is on maternity leave for our second child. (A beautiful little girl)
Thats awesome....congrats on the little one. My daughter is is 2.5 years old have her card since she was half a year old... youngest person with government ID i have ever seen.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
She is definitley Treaty status. We also just got our son his status card. (He is only 50% native.) None of her family hunts. (more fisherman) I took her out 5 years ago and shot a doe with her in the ground blind and she has been hooked ever since. Thanks for the information everybody, just saved me about a 100 bucks in tags that weren't needed. She is very proud of her heritage and doesn't mind letting everybody know. And yes, she works a full time job, except right now as she is on maternity leave for our second child. (A beautiful little girl)
Thats too bad thats $100 bucks that could be in the pot to support the sport that she has recently fell in love with.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 PM

No good can come from these discussions here.

Being behind a keyboard people tend to make thier inside voice an outside voice more often.

I've got strong feelings on the topic myself.

Until laws change or are modified, there will continue to be conflict with natives vs. non-natives. Don't see that being resolved in my generation.

So, rather than get heartburn over issues that are likely never to go away, I find it better on my health to just avoid these threads.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
No good can come from these discussions here.

Being behind a keyboard people tend to make thier inside voice an outside voice more often.

I've got strong feelings on the topic myself.

Until laws change or are modified, there will continue to be conflict with natives vs. non-natives. Don't see that being resolved in my generation.

So, rather than get heartburn over issues that are likely never to go away, I find it better on my health to just avoid these threads.
X2....I offered a compliment in another thread and was labelled as a "flamer" ...not that kind of flamer....

LC
Old 10-16-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Quick ?

Hey I have a buddy who is fully status, what extent could I participate in his hunt? Can I roll in the same vehicle and camp, help him retrieve game, and transport meat? can he use my equipment?

thanks all
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammer1 View Post
Hey I have a buddy who is fully status, what extent could I participate in his hunt? Can I roll in the same vehicle and camp, help him retrieve game, and transport meat? can he use my equipment?

thanks all
....and here we go, was a civil discussion for awhile......
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:

thanks all
You have to be kidding me...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

thanks all
Sure you can....if you marry him,lol.
Other then that no,you cannot accompany nor assist in retreival etc,but i supose yes he can borrow your equipment....you just cant come along.

Cant be opening that can'o worms....if it were allowed,every Tom,Rick and Harry would have a BFF Status buddy that they are "just helping retreive his moose".......yea right.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Apperently from what I read there's a lot of bashing when certain threads are opened on this forum...I can't say I've seen any White guy responses.....just saying.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Stir
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Default Quick ?

thanks all
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

thanks all
Yup
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
You already have a good job,any chance you could hire me?LOL
Its aborignals rights to hunt the lands. Enough said. Who cares. I am from Ontario, I only wish hunting was so damn good like alberta. You can shoot 5-6 big game here buying a general tag and supps. Give me a break with all the whinning... its easy to bag something here. We have it good and are lucky. I hunt right beside a reserve with no harvesting problems every year... suck it up ya bunch of princesses. Things won't change and stop with the racism already too.
Closed Thread