Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Default To many hunters with the heads in the sand

Podcasts out there like Randy Newburgh that talk about conservation, and how to unite hunters. We need to do more to put hunting in a positive light in the media. Where I’m from there is an outdoorsman club with their only activity is a horn scoring night, to my knowledge. I am disappointed with that they should be doing more. I was once a member but I am no longer amongst many others. This image does nothing to shed a better light of hunting to the non hunters. What can I do? should I re-join the club and help them open their eyes? I just think there is more to a outdoorsmen club then A horn scoring. I would like Perhaps some camping trips fishing trips, educating our young and new members on wildlife and survival. How would you suggest I go about this? I would love to help but I don’t know what to do and how to do it? Tell me what your small town has for an outdoorsman club and what do they do? What do the big clubs in the city do do they have any tricks? We as outdoorsman need to start becoming a community of outdoorsman and doing things together where we start
Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 AM

Join the club. Get youngsters involved. Talk to your school about having a wildlife and fishery conservation class. I did one for a grade one class, and another for a grade 5 class. Not only is it educational for them, it's pretty fun to put on. Talk about all the good things that go on, like hatcheries and wildlife rehab/rescue centres. Get involved in trade shows, have local trappers bring furs. Bring taxidermy.

As far back as I can remember, our local F&W club held a turkey shoot for all ages. Man it was fun. I haven't herd of a turkey shoot for yrs. I don't think horn contests are a very good idea. Lots of guys are just going after the horns now to win prizes. And I don't agree with posting/bragging hunts on social media either. Let's be humble.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM

As for putting classes . Can anyone do it ? Don’t need to be a CO or a Teacher
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Kinda hard to pick a group to follow when they all have their own agenda and fighting against eachother....
Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 PM

I know . What do you do nube ? At one time I thought of joining multiple groups. But what’s the point of joining groups that are 2 to 4 hours away?Groups are a hard thing for us outdoorsman we are kind of loaners in are ways . So banding together might be a hard thing when all we wanna do is be left alone.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM

Well what I have done is finally come to the realization that this province is doomed no matter what happens in my lifetime at least. I've just concluded I will enjoy what I can when I can and have looked to the USA for some things I can't do here as often.
Bios in this province are either dumb as nails or have no muscle anyways so they are useless.
Gov't is messed up in their thinking and choices.
One group wants to make parks with no ATV allowed and the others have their own thoughts on what they want.....

You and I will not win to get what we want. Heck, u and I probably don't even think the same lol

This province could be amazing in so many ways but ........
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
Podcasts out there like Randy Newburgh that talk about conservation, and how to unite hunters. We need to do more to put hunting in a positive light in the media. Where I’m from there is an outdoorsman club with their only activity is a horn scoring night, to my knowledge. I am disappointed with that they should be doing more. I was once a member but I am no longer amongst many others. This image does nothing to shed a better light of hunting to the non hunters. What can I do? should I re-join the club and help them open their eyes? I just think there is more to a outdoorsmen club then A horn scoring. I would like Perhaps some camping trips fishing trips, educating our young and new members on wildlife and survival. How would you suggest I go about this? I would love to help but I don’t know what to do and how to do it? Tell me what your small town has for an outdoorsman club and what do they do? What do the big clubs in the city do do they have any tricks? We as outdoorsman need to start becoming a community of outdoorsman and doing things together where we start
The only Outdoor Hunting/Fishing /Conservation organization that has any current traction with the powers that be is the Alberta F&G Assn. As you know, they are an Outdoorsperson's organization, representing all interested and concerned Albertans and they have been doing so effectively for decades. The basic structure and well earned credibility for a more effective organization is already in place. Yes, there is room for improvement in the organization as a whole and that improvement will come from the addition of new, younger members such as yourself. If an AF&G Assn group is not present in your area, start one. You appear to be a perfect candidate. All we need are a few thousand more members just like yourself. It can be done.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:37 PM

Just looked over the site for afga. I’m a member of the ATA , they look very similar. Are they ? ATA doesn’t really do anything. Salavee are you a member ? What are your highlights ?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Well a half page ad was put in the Edmonton journal wanting to ban trophy hunting in Alberta. We better start standing up and getting vocal or we aren't gonna be hunting much longer
Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM

That is mostly what prompted this discussion
Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 PM

AHEIA does a ton for kids.

The issue is all clubs have their agendas.

Bow hunt groups want no crossbows or spears

Some groups want more sheep

Some want no ATV’s

Some don’t want others walking in or crossing rivers

Shoot the horses

Save the horses

Blah blah blah

Hunters and Outdoors people divide the vote into fractions. Then, the antis come in and take the majority.

We need LESS hunting groups/clubs.

We need an EFFECTIVE group.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Just looked over the site for afga. I’m a member of the ATA , they look very similar. Are they ? ATA doesn’t really do anything. Salavee are you a member ? What are your highlights ?
Yes, I am a member .. I belonged to different Chapters for most of my adult life. In the early '60's Edm F&G were the first (probably in Canada) to initiate a hands-on Firearm shooting/safety course. We used the old RCMP K Div indoor range when it was situated at the top of Grierson Hill in Edmonton. I and a couple of other members instructed there. We had a lot of young folks involved in that program at that time ..but that was long ago. That would be the major highlight for me .
I think programs like that encourage a continuing and growing membership in the AFGA or any similar organization and almost guarantees that those young kids will be pretty darn responsible firearm operators and Outdoorsmen in the future. It's programs like that the I would like to see initiated again but it might be tough to get thru the BS that abounds these days. Besides, I'm too old now... but you aren't lol.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

I agree
as well we desperately need less media as well
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well what I have done is finally come to the realization that this province is doomed no matter what happens in my lifetime at least. I've just concluded I will enjoy what I can when I can and have looked to the USA for some things I can't do here as often.
Bios in this province are either dumb as nails or have no muscle anyways so they are useless.
Gov't is messed up in their thinking and choices.
One group wants to make parks with no ATV allowed and the others have their own thoughts on what they want.....

You and I will not win to get what we want. Heck, u and I probably don't even think the same lol

This province could be amazing in so many ways but ........

It’s comments like this that make me wonder...........

How did nube read my mind like that? Because, he nailed it.

What he said is happening. And we will lose this battle.

Good luck getting it back. Ever.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:41 PM

yep, it's all over. Walking out to my iceberg now.

Is there really no reason left to fight? Seriously, I don't know much about the power of our group or what kind of numbers we would have since we refuse to unite.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 PM

Old 01-13-2018, 09:00 PM

I don't think it's over, not quite. As I have stated many times before, "the Good Old Days are now ". WE have to make the most of what we have left at the moment and the ONLY way to hold what little ground we have left is to get organized asap.. My thoughts are that utilizing an existing credible organization such as the AFGA would be the way to go as there are far too many time constraints to getting a new organization up and running.

All that would take is to get yourself and 10 or so of your like-minded friends involved in your local Chapter and get involved in making things happen. I can assure you most of us tired old guys would love to see something like that take place. Better late than never.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
yep, it's all over. Walking out to my iceberg now.

Is there really no reason left to fight? Seriously, I don't know much about the power of our group or what kind of numbers we would have since we refuse to unite.
Zero chance of hunters banding together, under one simple roof, to defend themselves.

Hunters have become the hunted.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
aheia does a ton for kids.

some groups want more sheep

some want no atv’s

some don’t want others walking in or crossing rivers

shoot the horses

save the horses

blah blah blah

hunters and outdoors people divide the vote into fractions. Then, the antis come in and take the majority.

We need less hunting groups/clubs.

We need an effective group.
bingo!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
. My thoughts are that utilizing an existing credible organization such as the AFGA would be the way to go as there are far too many time constraints to getting a new organization up and running.
And there ya go lol You think the AFGA is all good eh lol I think you would be surprised at how many people don't fully support this group for various reasons.

And HUNTINSTUF said it perfectly
"Zero chance of hunters banding together, under one simple roof, to defend themselves. "

In todays world you don't win these kinda wars. Too many people going too many directions and hunting is not the cool thing to do to the majority of the people out there. It's been pretty clear in the news the last couple years pretty plain and simple
Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 PM

This episode of the meateater podcast sheds some light on the topic of public perception about hunting, and it isn't all gloom and doom:

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...eg-blascovich/

Short summary:

About 10% of the population hunts. About 10% of the population is morally opposed to hunting. The middle 80% mostly looks favorably on hunting. However, they look more favorably on some types of hunting then others.

Personally, I think it is time that we hunters stop worrying about being under attack from the 10% that hates hunting (the type that put out the ad in the Edmonton Journal), and start worrying about what the middle group thinks. They are the ones that one day may have to vote on an issue that will seriously affect us hunters.

Hunters skew rural. As a result, I think many hunters feel under attack as the population shifts to being more urban. As a hunter who was born rural, and is now urban, all I can tell you is that in all my time in the city, and at university, even among the real lefties (vegans, environmentalists, hippies included) very few people are opposed to hunting. If anything, these groups tend to be very interested in nature and connecting with nature. If I was made czar of hunting public relations tomorrow, my number one focus would be promoting the connection between hunting and experiencing the natural world, because I know that whenever I mention hunting to people that I am sure the average forum member would consider the enemy, they might say that they wouldn't do it themselves, but they like the idea of a person going out and getting their own meat.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
And there ya go lol You think the AFGA is all good eh lol I think you would be surprised at how many people don't fully support this group for various reasons.

And HUNTINSTUF said it perfectly
"Zero chance of hunters banding together, under one simple roof, to defend themselves. "

In todays world you don't win these kinda wars. Too many people going too many directions and hunting is not the cool thing to do to the majority of the people out there. It's been pretty clear in the news the last couple years pretty plain and simple
Whatever way you want to rationalize it is OK by me. I've had my time.
It would however be nice to see some remnants of what we have today remain in place for those coming up behind us. Unfortunately, there is little they can do at the moment. WE can at least try. Giving up is the surest way to witness your forcast demise of all that we cherish and enjoy.

Circumstances change Attitudes and Attitudes can change circumstances.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
This episode of the meateater podcast sheds some light on the topic of public perception about hunting, and it isn't all gloom and doom:
I don’t give two sh**s about what “ Meat Eater” has to say. If you think hunting as we know it will be around in 25 years, keep dreaming. 80% looks favourably on hunting, hahaha... again keep dreaming!

Hunting as we know it will be done sooner than you think. We tear each other apart daily on websites like this. Look around, it’s happening right before our eyes.

The end of hunting is closer than you think...
Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 PM

Hunting, as many of us new it in the 50's thru 80's era has been long gone for years. Numerous hunters said it was all over back in the 80's ...but it wasn't quite so. We still have lots of great outdoor opportunities left if we look at it from a different perspective. No end of negative examples of this mudball we live on . Just look around and see what not to do.
What we have left is worth fighting for and a good look in the mirror would be a good place to start.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 PM

I can’t remember if I saw this on Alberta outdoorsman. But they were talking about the campaigns that the anti-hunters we’re doing. Media bashing and other . Why is it that we do not see the hunter groups with counter campaigns that are aggressive Showing the importance of healthy clean natural meat. It would go a long ways for helping our cause.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...eg-blascovich/

Short summary:

About 10% of the population hunts. About 10% of the population is morally opposed to hunting. The middle 80% mostly looks favorably on hunting. However, they look more favorably on some types of hunting then others.

Personally, I think it is time that we hunters stop worrying about being under attack from the 10% that hates hunting (the type that put out the ad in the Edmonton Journal), and start worrying about what the middle group thinks. They are the ones that one day may have to vote on an issue that will seriously affect us hunters.

Hunters skew rural. As a result, I think many hunters feel under attack as the population shifts to being more urban. As a hunter who was born rural, and is now urban, all I can tell you is that in all my time in the city, and at university, even among the real lefties (vegans, environmentalists, hippies included) very few people are opposed to hunting. If anything, these groups tend to be very interested in nature and connecting with nature. If I was made czar of hunting public relations tomorrow, my number one focus would be promoting the connection between hunting and experiencing the natural world, because I know that whenever I mention hunting to people that I am sure the average forum member would consider the enemy, they might say that they wouldn't do it themselves, but they like the idea of a person going out and getting their own meat.
×2

Many of my friends, family and the people I work with are hardcore left wing and, with one exception, all that know I am getting into hunting are very supportive. They see shooting a deer as much more ethical than factory farming. They not only tolerate hunting for meat - they respect it. You will never understand their mindset if you assume that if someone is anti-trophy hunting that they are anti-hunting.

I agree that trophy hunting is under attack. Clubs aside, do not underestimate the impact a lone hunter can have on their family and friends.

Emphasizing the conservation value of predator control, that trophy animals are still eaten, that trophy stage hunters often take fewer animals than those focused on the freezer, and that there are game management benefits to taking mature animals can speak to the majority that are not anti-hunting overall. I feel that the messaging given out by the AHEIA through their hunter education course is pretty strategically on point to address many trophy hunting concerns.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I can’t remember if I saw this on Alberta outdoorsman. But they were talking about the campaigns that the anti-hunters we’re doing. Media bashing and other . Why is it that we do not see the hunter groups with counter campaigns that are aggressive Showing the importance of healthy clean natural meat. It would go a long ways for helping our cause.
Sakatchewan has an organized alliance of various groups, SAWA, that counteract any 'Anti' organizations trying to influence residents. SAWA tries to protect hunting, fishing, and trapping heritage.

Various Albertan groups should unite in the same way.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
http://www.ab-conservation.com/about...ponsibilities/
The above link describes an agency that works for alberta,it lists member groups who communicate and work with them. It doesn't answer your questions but gives you another avenue to ask.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I agree about the media bashing part but I don't think there is much we can do to change eating habits .Nor do I think internal disagreement between hunting groups is the issue. As I'm probably in enough doo around here for what I have already said, I'll go another step and say what I really think.

1: The hunting community is it's own worst enemy and is killing itself more each and every day. Death by 1000 cuts, so to speak

2: Social media is their most effective weapon. Prior to social media the anti hunting community (a minor irritation) had to dig a lot harder to find the ammo. Now, they get it by the screenfull every day - directly from us. Gad, some of that stuff even nauseates many in our own ranks. Can't say I blame some of "them" for getting cranky about it. Posting ones "accomplishments" or ego related subject matter, be it by photos or video on any publicly accessible media is fueling the anti fire. If the fire is getting too hot, quit throwing logs on it. Chances are it will cool down. Nobody but those close to you really gives a s--- anyway.

3: There are many non-hunters out there who are just barely sitting this side of the hunting/positive, neutral, and Hunting /negative lines. If they see much more of this self-centered crap via open social media, they sure won't be hitting the "like" button and will soon be on the negative side. If we don't change our ways dramatically, and quickly, I truly believe the antis will change them for us - for the duration.
4: Hunting groups or individuals will gain a lot more mileage with the general public by posting the number of bird boxes they built as opposed to the number of animals they "killed". That's just the way it is these days.

That's my take, good, bad or in between.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Some groups want more sheep

Some want no ATV’s

Some don’t want others walking in or crossing rivers

Shoot the horses

Save the horses

Blah blah blah

Hunters and Outdoors people divide the vote into fractions. Then, the antis come in and take the majority.

Exactly! We need a large group whose priority is wildlife management, rather than spending large amounts on new buildings, and conferences, meetings and social gatherings. My home club left the largest group, and their only concern seemed to be the loss of the revenue that we were providing.