Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Whitetail Buck - Would You Shoot?

I was in a tree stand the other night and this buck came out. This buck looks young, but he's not.. I've watched this buck for the past 4 years. I have pictures of him when he was 3 1/2 years old. We had a brutal winter last year and I think it took its toll on him... Last year he was a 150ish buck and was a 5X5. This year he's a 5X4 and a bit smaller.

At any rate, we have one buck tag here in Montana. We can kill either a Muley or a Whitetail, but if we kill a buck during archery season we are done for the year as far as bucks go. I passed on this buck, but got some good pictures. I'll probably kick myself for not shooting, but I've killed many bucks this size.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Banned

I wouldn’t shoot but I guess it depends where you are and what you’ve shot. Definitely a nice buck buck he’d get the pass from me as well. If I was worried about putting meat in the freezer it would be a different story.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM

It is all a personal choice, yours was to shoot with a lens...

All the best and good luck.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM

Would I? Yep. He’s a mature buck. Unless you know you have something bigger on cams, that’s what whitetails look like. Most only get to be 4x4, 4x5 or 5x5.

That being said it doesn’t sound like you are ready to be done with your tag hanging on that deer, so keep hunting. Nice pics
Old 09-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Mature buck like that with the bow is a real trophy to me. I think he'll still gross at least 150 this year with that tine length. Beautiful deer. Totally understand what you're saying though, if you've killed 6 150" deer then I can see letting him walk.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Passed one up just like that in LaBich 1st day a few years ago... Too early ! Still regret it today.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Being a meat hunter, horns make no difference to me.
If a nice one presents a good shot, then for sure I will take it.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:14 AM

You did get some nice pictures, though!

I would have shot, but I also don't get out enough to be all that choosy - not to say I don't pass up opportunities. Just depends on the circumstances.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock Fever View Post
Mature buck like that with the bow is a real trophy to me. I think he'll still gross at least 150 this year with that tine length. Beautiful deer. Totally understand what you're saying though, if you've killed 6 150" deer then I can see letting him walk.
Ditto .. thanx for sharing
Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Wait for this one.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:18 PM

Nice buck and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
I have limited hunting time this fall and the areas that I used to hunt were decimated by predators so I would have shot him. Each persons circumstances are unique so if you let him pass than that's cool too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Whitetail buck would you shoot

I say yes I would shoot .Thanks for sharing
Old 09-21-2018, 12:24 PM

That buck is very nice. I would not have passed on him with a bow unless I knew there were larger bucks around. If the winter was hard on him, then it was hard on the other bucks in the area too. Knowing that you have seen him for 4 years would only add to the "trophy" quality for me.

That said, you passed on him for a reason. Don't 2nd guess and trust the decision!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM

If it was going to end my hunting season I would not shoot that buck. If I had another tag good till the end of November BOOM
Old 09-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
Wait for this one.

In my dreams!!!!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

shooter in my books but then if my cams had a few true hogs running around I would wait....maybe

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
In my dreams!!!!
I am sure they accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express
Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 PM

There's a buck up where this one is that will dwarf this buck. Last year he was a 5X4 that would have gone 24" wide... I've not seen him this year, but I have no reason to believe he's not around. I know no one killed him last hunting season. I have a photo of both the buck I posted here and the wide buck 3 years ago....I'm pretty sure they were 3 1/2 years old then and they were standing in the field together. In the photos here I have a tree stand in the trees in the background, but I was on the ground when I took the photos. The wider buck in the photos exploded last year... He must have put on at least 20 inches of antler or more and he went from about 19" wide or so to pushing 24" or more...

Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 PM

Uh oh....”I’ve not seen him this year”...knew there was more to the story haha.

Deer die. All the time. Not just in hunting season. If you don’t have a single pic or sighting of him all year, especially when you know his home turf and he’s been there for years, the odds are he’s coyote turd. No way to know for sure, but I wouldn’t target a ghost buck.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
I was in a tree stand the other night and this buck came out. This buck looks young, but he's not.. I've watched this buck for the past 4 years. I have pictures of him when he was 3 1/2 years old. We had a brutal winter last year and I think it took its toll on him... Last year he was a 150ish buck and was a 5X5. This year he's a 5X4 and a bit smaller.

At any rate, we have one buck tag here in Montana. We can kill either a Muley or a Whitetail, but if we kill a buck during archery season we are done for the year as far as bucks go. I passed on this buck, but got some good pictures. I'll probably kick myself for not shooting, but I've killed many bucks this size.

If you have to shoot, shoot please don't talk. As for me, I would have pulled the trigger. Nice Photos

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Uh oh....”I’ve not seen him this year”...knew there was more to the story haha.

Deer die. All the time. Not just in hunting season. If you don’t have a single pic or sighting of him all year, especially when you know his home turf and he’s been there for years, the odds are he’s coyote turd. No way to know for sure, but I wouldn’t target a ghost buck.
That's true, but I didn't see him for two years after I first photographed him and then last year he showed up. Same thing happened many years ago. I was watching a nice 6X6 right across the road from the house. Could never get a shot as me always seemed to be just out of range. He disappeared for 2 years. I never saw him and then he reappeared and was much larger. He was very distinctive as both G2's were forked. I ended up killing him with my old Hawkens. So, you just never know for sure. I saw this wide buck last January in a Sunflower field they hadn't cut. It was about 4 miles from where I'd seen him in the fall. If he's alive, I'm guessing he's probably moved.

At any rate, I'll have fun watching, waiting, and taking photographs until I decide to punch my tag out...or not. I kill a buck about every 3rd year or so these days. I can fill my freezer with anterless deer. Like they say, you can't kill a big one if you shoot a small one. I killed a 176" buck last fall, so that should hold me for another year or two.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers eh, land of Giants and a very patient hunter too....good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Would not hesitate for a second. But then I'm not picky.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:40 PM

Hunters need to go hunting without breakfast and a little bit hungry. It might help them decide whether to shoot or not.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Default Whitetail buck

If I had shot many others that size, then I would let him walk. Half the fun is hoping to see a giant like you’ve never shot before.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:56 PM

I want to say I would’nt shoot him ,but truth is I would after seeing his frame from front on...a 155-160” gross 9 pointer is a good buck and would Just make my minimum.