Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Default Bear baiting round 2 ontario. No bears yet.

The boys and I got out for another round of baiting this weekend. We had cold Temps all week and I don't think the bears are moving yet so none of our baits were hit. In this video we show what we like to use for bait. What do you guys use?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJuUlbtQXY

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016, 06:25 PM

Awsome video we use same sorta bait also buddy went an rebaited ours today an one had some action
Old 04-10-2016, 06:31 PM

Imagine that , no bears and there is a foot of snow on the ground lol Wish you luck. Sounds like you are keen to get going. Looks like the birds and the marten are going to get your beavers before the bears.
Keep us posted
Old 04-10-2016, 07:52 PM

Default Thanks alot

Thanks for posting BR, enjoyable video. Again goodluck, anytime now.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Imagine that , no bears and there is a foot of snow on the ground lol Wish you luck. Sounds like you are keen to get going. Looks like the birds and the marten are going to get your beavers before the bears.
Keep us posted
My thoughts. Way too early.

Grizz
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Keep us posted
I was going to say the same thing. You guys must like wasting your time hauling bait and trying to kill yourselves for nothing. Wait another 3 weeks until the snow is gone and the Bears actually start moving. Just wasting time and bait right now.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 PM

Great video guys
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 PM

They enjoy it, at least it appears that way. Why so much flack, hopefully he dose not stop posting videos here. He has given me the most entertainment on this site by far!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 PM

Keep em coming man. Great footage.
A successful day isn't bears hitting, it's leaving the city behind and getting outdoors. Kudos.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 AM

Never mind those who know it all on here. Thanks for the posts, keep them coming.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Keep em coming man. Great footage.
A successful day isn't bears hitting, it's leaving the city behind and getting outdoors. Kudos.
Keep,em coming.

The boys are right though but you might get the nose of a groggy beast come in if it warms up.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-11-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I was going to say the same thing. You guys must like wasting your time hauling bait and trying to kill yourselves for nothing. Wait another 3 weeks until the snow is gone and the Bears actually start moving. Just wasting time and bait right now.
We actually do enjoy doing it, that's why you see us having a great time in the video. We doubted they'd be hit because it was cold all week but wanted to go anyways, I saved all my bait for next time but a couple of the guys didn't care. Good to be out in the bush.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
No such thing as wasting time when you are enjoying yourself out in the woods. Theses guys like what they do. Maybe you have lost your taste for the bush life Tork. Just because you outfit you treat it as work so you don't want to WASTE TIME because time is money for you. That's kinda sad in a wAy.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 AM

lol some of you guys make me laugh.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
No such thing as wasting time when you are enjoying yourself out in the woods. Theses guys like what they do. Maybe you have lost your taste for the bush life Tork. Just because you outfit you treat it as work so you don't want to WASTE TIME because time is money for you. That's kinda sad in a wAy.
I used to haul bait through 2 feet of snow and kill myself year after year getting my baits out nice and early. And each year the baits sat there with marten, fisher and ravens eating them for 3 weeks until the Bears started to finally move the same time they do every year.
So then I said why kill myself doing it early, breaking axles, damaging trucks and equipment. Instead I went fishing, shot coyotes or shed hunting.

I haven't lost my taste for bush life at all, just gained a little more experience I guess. Time is money to me though sir, always something that needs doing.

Truthfully I really don't care when the OP and his crew start baiting. I guess if you enjoy almost killing yourself and beating the ever living **** out of your gear then now is as good a time as any to get it done. It is certainly better then sitting on the couch doing nothing I suppose.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:03 AM

Ya what ^ said lol
Tork did you see their last outing putting the baits in?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=285135

That looks like more than going for a joy ride in the bush to have some fun.
Think there was a video earlier of some guy on here blowing up a drive shaft on his quad as well.
Not sure what the real rush is to get baits out? Why not go the end of April when its nicer, safer, less work and when the bears are starting to wake up to give you a decent chance of getting one?
Enjoy the time before that doing some other things. Each to their own but I've played that game a few times. It ain't doing you any favours...
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
After you've done this a few times, you get smart, just takes some people a LOT longer. Bears don't just hop out of the sack and start gobbling up old meat, they need to purge their digestives systems with greens first. No Greens, no bears.

Grizz
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 AM

You guys make me laugh. Hunting for me is about getting out I don't care if I see a bear I have seen thousands. If we start early without any success then I don't care just more time logged in the bush instead of infront of the computer screen. I know when the Bears wake up in general but I like looking anyways. Tork if you nearly kill yourself and beat the snot out of yourself maybe your doing it wrong¿. I dunno I have baited before and I faired pretty well physically. Personally I think you and Nube have spent too much time in the woods and forget what it's like to enjoy it for what it is.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 AM

Glad you enjoy getting out. When I go hunting I go to kill stuff! Wehn I want to enjoy the outdoors there are a million other things to do to enjoy the outdoors. This guy has been out now at least 2 times. How much gas money! Beavers eaten up before bears get a chance! A quad bill for sinking it in a creek! Almost Drown with it! Sure it's fun to some but if your end goal is to shoot a bear why not spend all the time , money and energy doing other outdoor activities and then go put your baits in? Makes sense to me but have at it if you feel otherwise...
Keep us posted how next weeks adventure goes
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Tork if you nearly kill yourself and beat the snot out of yourself maybe your doing it wrong¿.

Did you see the videos and pictures that have been posted lately ? That quad was running when it swamped in that creek. That's a motor job just about guaranteed. If they aren't rebuilding it now they will be in the next year or two. The guy on the bike is lucky he didn't go in or the bike flipped on him, could have been a lot worse.

I try very hard to avoid situations like this, sometimes I have no choice and it happens. They will learn in time as well, hopefully before somebody is killed.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Did you see the videos and pictures that have been posted lately ? That quad was running when it swamped in that creek. That's a motor job just about guaranteed. If they aren't rebuilding it now they will be in the next year or two. The guy on the bike is lucky he didn't go in or the bike flipped on him, could have been a lot worse.

I try very hard to avoid situations like this, sometimes I have no choice and it happens. They will learn in time as well, hopefully before somebody is killed.
Stop being so dramatic. That bike wasn't running, I shut it off before it had a chance to suck any water and it's running fine. But yes, that was a complete gongshow I admit. There's like 3 inches of snow where we are at the most and theres bears hitting baits 40 minutes south of there right now. I don't know what you're talking about when you say "killing yourselves". Hell, im a lot harder on myself all week long in the gym than out there. I unload my bike, ride to my bait, check it, have some laughs with the boys and I go home. All while spending 50 bucks on fuel and bait for the day.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieross View Post
Stop being so dramatic. That bike wasn't running, I shut it off before it had a chance to suck any water and it's running fine. But yes, that was a complete gongshow I admit. There's like 3 inches of snow where we are at the most and theres bears hitting baits 40 minutes south of there right now. I don't know what you're talking about when you say "killing yourselves". Hell, im a lot harder on myself all week long in the gym than out there. I unload my bike, ride to my bait, check it, have some laughs with the boys and I go home. All while spending 50 bucks on fuel and bait for the day.

lol. If you think that quad wasn't running when it went under you need to watch the video again. You can see you turn off the ignition in the video when it's completely under water.

Like I said man it's your quad and your life, do what ever you want. All we we're saying is it's a waste trying to bait this early because there are no bears out yet. Maybe one here or there but not enough.

Believe me I understand you guys know far more then us guys that have been doing it for the last 20 years and you're bullet proof, but take it from somebody who has seen those situations go bad. You are lucky it ended that well when you tried to cross that creek.

Regardless I'm done, hope it all works out and we don't read about you or a friend in the Newspaper.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
lol. If you think that quad wasn't running when it went under you need to watch the video again. You can see you turn off the ignition in the video when it's completely under water.

Like I said man it's your quad and your life, do what ever you want. All we we're saying is it's a waste trying to bait this early because there are no bears out yet. Maybe one here or there but not enough.

Believe me I understand you guys know far more then us guys that have been doing it for the last 20 years and you're bullet proof, but take it from somebody who has seen those situations go bad. You are lucky it ended that well when you tried to cross that creek.

Regardless I'm done, hope it all works out and we don't read about you or a friend in the Newspaper.
Thanks anyways for watching the videos.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:28 PM

If you want to waste your time, and beat up your equipment , when the bears aren't out yet, have at it, At least your videos are entertaining.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM

Your guys videos are making me miss my friends man. Super jealous over here boys ! That boat footage is off the hook. Be super cool to see that rig cruizing across the water with a giant black on it. You got us all chomping at the bit and licking our chops out here man. Wanna see how it all play out… keep em coming
Old 04-11-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
lol. If you think that quad wasn't running when it went under you need to watch the video again. You can see you turn off the ignition in the video when it's completely under water. .
Perhaps he used the trusty "kill switch" very quick thumb movement on the handle bars.. I have used it many times before then turned the ignition off.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Perhaps he used the trusty "kill switch" very quick thumb movement on the handle bars.. I have used it many times before then turned the ignition off.
Maybe. Seemed like some pretty good power right up until the end of the "run" so to speak. Either way it's his quad and his money. I've seen lots of guys sink sleds and quads and all swore they were shut down before they went under. Until you tear them down
Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe. Seemed like some pretty good power right up until the end of the "run" so to speak. Either way it's his quad and his money. I've seen lots of guys sink sleds and quads and all swore they were shut down before they went under. Until you tear them down
Hopefully his machine has decent back pressure so even if it's under it can push out the water!
Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I have seen a few connecting rods that were bent after the engine was submerged while running.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Hopefully his machine has decent back pressure so even if it's under it can push out the water!
It's the intake side of things that worries me