Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:27 PM

Default Metis hunting rights

Any idea how the Supreme Court ruling that Metis are now considered Indians and deserve the same rights as status Indians will affect their hunting rights? Sorry to open a can of worms but if the statistics are correct its kind of concerning that over 600000 Metis and non status Indians may now have the right to hunt the same as full status. Mind you I have Metis in my family but all buy tags and licences and follow the regs. Up to this point Metis can only hunt year round within 160km of their settlement if granted hunting rights through their band. I'm sure even the full status natives might be concerned with this ruling. Anyone know if the rules for Metis harvest rights will now change? If so looks like draw times might be changing lol. I know it may be hard but let's keep this civil and in regards to changes to hunting rights for Metis. Not about how unfair most think about status hunting. To me it's a major concern if that many more can hunt outside of draws. The area I live in gets hit hard by Metis as is and draw times keep getting longer and longer for moose which are becoming rare in my neighbourhood.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Old 04-14-2016, 02:54 PM

Default Not sure.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...sion-1.3535712

"Lagimodiere said the ruling will be even more significant for Métis people who live outside big cities and have housing and hunting concerns."
Old 04-14-2016, 02:55 PM

welcome to the end of hunting.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Banned

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krado View Post
x2. Brutal
Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM

Bull**** is all I can say!!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Banned

Default High Fence Hunting ...

The wave of the future , if you want to hunt it's going to cost you.
600,000 more sustenance hunters and fishers . Can you say buh-by
Game . There are a few members of my familly who are carded in
Manitoba ,I never bothered , the MMF have pushed hard for this .
With the NCC grabbing so much land , and diseased quadrupeds
In most species, going to be very interesting in the future .
It's to bad our Game and Fish clubs are so fragmented , we might
have put up a fight on this .
Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krado View Post
Yup but only for the non natives, 600,000 more rights on the table ahead of everyone else. Only ones who will love this ruling are the Metis.

IBTL
Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 PM

Remember suffield? now the whole country will be like that.
another great move by the goverment. Hammer those of us who fallow the rules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suffield.jpg (9.1 KB, 168 views)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 PM

It's easy to over react to this I think. Keep in mind that all 600000 will not be hunting I suspect that those who hunted before the ruling will continue to do so and will for the most part continue as they did before the ruling with the exception that they wont need to purchase a licence?
Everyone does not hunt and everyone is not out to shoot anything that moves. Of course there will be a few that take advantage and that is to be expected but I don't really believe it will be the wholesale slaughter that the doomers say it will be.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM

No one yet knows what this ruling means. All it said is that the Metis and non-status Indian are the responsibility of the Federal Government. This MAY lead to more hunting rights............this MIGHT lead to more welfare payments.

Bit too early to jump up with pitch fork and torch.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Banned

Gotta admit, it just doesn't pay to be a tax paying white guy in this country anymore.
We pay all the bills so others can reap the rewards.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It's easy to over react to this I think. Keep in mind that all 600000 will not be hunting I suspect that those who hunted before the ruling will continue to do so and will for the most part continue as they did before the ruling with the exception that they wont need to purchase a licence?
Everyone does not hunt and everyone is not out to shoot anything that moves. Of course there will be a few that take advantage and that is to be expected but I don't really believe it will be the wholesale slaughter that the doomers say it will be.
They didn't need 600000 to destroy the suffield hunt for everyone that paid and was treated the same. There was no control.
see article :
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/02/03...n-cfb-suffield

Everyone wants rights. That’s fine, so do I and so does everyone. But it should be equal rights and rule for all.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Remember suffield? now the whole country will be like that.
another great move by the goverment. Hammer those of us who fallow the rules.
What rules are you referring to?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM

I think we all look for the darkest possible angle on this issue. The vast majority of people in any race/group are not hunters or fisherman. What percentage of non Metis/natives do you think are hunters and fisherman. Just because a person acquires the right or privilege to hunt or fish does not mean they are going to change their life style to take advantage of that right. Not as bad as most of us believe. just sayin...
Old 04-14-2016, 03:33 PM

I made a comment before the last thread was nuked...
IBTL
Old 04-14-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
What rules are you referring to?
as this is hunt discussion area I'm suggesting the same rules and regulations for hunting as everyone else. (unless your a poacher) Do you think its far that you spend 3 to 12 years putting in for a hunting draw and yet someone who doesn't is allowed to take one or several every year cause its there right.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
as this is hunt discussion area I'm suggesting the same rules and regulations for hunting as everyone else. (unless your a poacher) Do you think its far that you spend 3 to 12 years putting in for a hunting draw and yet someone who doesn't is allowed to take one or several every year cause its there right.
They are, or would be following the rules that are/have been laid out.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
They didn't need 600000 to destroy the suffield hunt for everyone that paid and was treated the same. There was no control.
see article :
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/02/03...n-cfb-suffield

Everyone wants rights. That’s fine, so do I and so does everyone. But it should be equal rights and rule for all.
Exactly! We're all Canadians. Race, color of skin or religion should not dictate which set of rules a person has to live by. One set of rules for every Canadian. This decision today will result in more division among groups of people. Very disappointing.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Banned

If natives want to hunt like their ancestor, they should do it like they did bow and arrow. Not using high powered rifles, quads and pickup trucks. Get on on a horse and hunt away.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:48 PM

I have a hunting partner who has Metis status and he gets to hunt on weekends just like I do and even at that he rarely gets out every weekend of the season. That's because he has a job and a mortgage and responsibilities just like most people . On the other hand I know of some so called Whites that will shoot anything that moves and would skip the tag in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. Don't assume that everyone has the some moral weakness based on their family heritage.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM

It's tough to say what will happen. Private land will likely remain the same, most landowners aren't about to let Metis on their land to wipe out the animals... Suffield was a different scenario that can't be looked at as the new normal.

I disagree entirely with natives and Metis being able to hunt whatever, whenever but at the end of the day if it's on private land the landowners have the say.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I have a hunting partner who has Metis status and he gets to hunt on weekends just like I do and even at that he rarely gets out every weekend of the season. That's because he has a job and a mortgage and responsibilities just like most people . On the other hand I know of some so called Whites that will shoot anything that moves and would skip the tag in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. Don't assume that everyone has the some moral weakness based on their family heritage.
Great response!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
I think we all look for the darkest possible angle on this issue. The vast majority of people in any race/group are not hunters or fisherman. What percentage of non Metis/natives do you think are hunters and fisherman. Just because a person acquires the right or privilege to hunt or fish does not mean they are going to change their life style to take advantage of that right. Not as bad as most of us believe. just sayin...
Your right, not all will grab the harvesting rights and use them. I'm not trying to stir the pot but the reality is, there will be a large number of new, untraceable hunters/fisherman coming from this group of 600,000. How large, who knows, large enough to effect the status quo for those of us who wait on draws? I think so.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM

Parts of my family and extended family are Metis and I don't for 1 minute believe that anyone of them that don't currently hunt or fish will suddenly want to start hunting and fishing because of some court ruling.

I for one believe it's going to take a few years before the dust settles on this one, people should be patient to see what actually plays out.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It’s good to hear that your partner fallows the rules as everyone else and as for the “whities” pretty sure everyone one here has no problem calling the fish cops on them. This is not a Métis problem or a native problem or a white person problem. like it was said earlier its a equal rights problem that the government has created by creating diversity which cause division like this. Turdue says he wants to get rid of diversity but turns around and allows this to happen. Whats wrong with having equal rights and rule for all?
Old 04-14-2016, 04:02 PM

Apart from hunting think of all the other costs! Guess who gets to foot the bill. The government just extend many benefits for 600,000 more people.

LC
Old 04-14-2016, 04:08 PM

Looks like I'm gonna go knock up a native girl...then its "my right" to hunt when I want! I'm just gonna start and vote liberal from now on, whats the point anymore
Old 04-14-2016, 04:09 PM

We are all native to this earth are we not? Do we not all have the right to provide for ourselves? I enjoy my time spent out doors and the benefits of wild meat, however I do not need to hunt in order to sustain myself so I will continue to abide by the rules set forth to preserve our animal populations. But if a day comes, whether it be by my own accord or someone else, that I have no other option but to hunt in order to provide for and sustain myself and my family I will do so with no regard for "Native rights", "Native lands", "Meti Rights" or "White man laws".
Old 04-14-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage.0 View Post
Looks like I'm gonna go knock up a native girl...then its "my right" to hunt when I want! I'm just gonna start and vote liberal from now on, whats the point anymore
That doesn't make you a native or a Metis for that matter either. Different matter for your child, who I am sure you would want to have provided for in the best possible manner. That likely means you work, you live in town, yada, yada.

Get real.