Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 AM

Why do I feel like these sorts of questions are some sort of test?

But here goes.

1. You’ll need to take and complete your Alberta Hunter Education and Conservation course.

2. You’ll need to take and pass your Canadian Firearms Safety Course.

3. You’ll need to apply for and be granted your Possesion and Aquisition Licence(Firearms Licence)

4. You’ll need to hit the reference materials like the Hunting Regulations, the Wildlife ACT, the Firearms ACT, and any other source materials surrounding this topic.

5. You best be posting your location and then asking for a mentor.

Hope to here back from you, don’t be scared to use PM’s if you feel a bit under prepared and over whelmed.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 07-22-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
And we wonder why more people aren’t becoming hunters. Too hard for someone to get help, especially when they are so green. Too many selfish people that are smart asses or don’t wanna give away their “secrets”
Unfortunate.
Everyone got into this Great way of life some how. I was lucky enough to have a family that needed to hunt to live or i would have never been exposed. I cant imagine the determination needed form someone to start hunting in Alberta totally green.

Id like to think someone already pm'd and offering to help understand things a little.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Ethan, as already recommended get a copy of hunter regs, preferably 2018 but 2017 will get you started. Place in bathroom and make it your go to read on the thron!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmann View Post
Everyone got into this Great way of life some how. I was lucky enough to have a family that needed to hunt to live or i would have never been exposed. I cant imagine the determination needed form someone to start hunting in Alberta totally green.

Id like to think someone already pm'd and offering to help understand things a little.
There has never in the history of hunting been more information available at your finger tips than now. There is info on almost all types of bows, rifles, shotguns, handguns, ammo how to takedown, clean, shoot, and if you don't want to read there are videos. Info on hunting styles, techniques, goggle maps, landowner maps, cutline/power line maps, skinning and cutting up an animal.

In fact I can't think of one thing you can't find info on if you spend a little bit of time looking. If you can read it actually has NEVER been easier to inform yourself on all things hunting than right now. And all this info is available to you before you hunt, during your hunt, and after the hunt. There is absolutely no reason you have to go into the bush on your first hunt completely green, none at all.

Last edited by bobalong; 07-22-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
There has never in the history of hunting been more information available at your finger tips than now. There is info on almost all types of bows, rifles, shotguns, handguns, ammo how to takedown, clean, shoot, and if you don't want to read there are videos. Info on hunting styles, techniques, goggle maps, landowner maps, cutline/power line maps, skinning and cutting up an animal.

In fact I can't think of one thing you can't find info on if you spend a little bit of time looking. If you can read it actually has NEVER been easier to inform yourself on all things hunting than right now. And all this info is available to you before you hunt, during your hunt, and after the hunt. There is absolutely no reason you have to go into the bush on your first hunt completely green, none at all.
now that you put it that way. ya you are right easy as pie!
Just "google it"
Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post

But then what would be left to talk about?!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 PM

I find it very very interesting, that we’ve heard diddly from the OP since he started this thread......

Me thinks that we’ve failed his test.......

There are no absolutes
Old 07-22-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Reply to all

Thank you everyone for you input sorry I did not post my location. It would have be a good idea I already kinda posted asking for a mentor and didn't get any lucky, that's why I started a new thread. I have had lots of people reach out to my and I'm very thankful for all your support and knowledge you are giving. I am from Calgary and really do need a mentor to help me. I truly don't have anyone close to me that hunts so I really don't know where to get started. Sure I can read the refs and everything but that can only teach you so much. Also to be completely honest I kinda found the regs a little confusing and I tried figuring out where you can hunt but from what I googled no one really wants to share anything. Also the fact it seems you have to pay to get county maps and stuff kinda sucked is there no way to get that knowledge without spending money on maps? Thanks again all I really do appreciate everyone's replies and generous help!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Any of you Calgary guys willing to step up?

I’m gonna PM the OP, but I’m afraid I’m a bit far from his locale.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Any of you Calgary guys willing to step up?

I’m gonna PM the OP, but I’m afraid I’m a bit far from his locale.
No, we don't care about him here, in the cruel city of Calgary..

OP pm me when have a question or two.
Will help you out when needed.
S12
Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmann View Post
now that you put it that way. ya you are right easy as pie!
Just "google it"
Finding it is easy as pie, how easy it is to learn it depends on the individual.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Default That’s what he did!

An internet search turned up AO, which says it’s a forum for hunters, new and old to share knowledge and experience about the passion for the outdoors. And some here see it as an opportunity to be A Holz.
What kinda hate you gotta have in you for that, just to scold a self declared newbie.
Gee whiz.
I’m in the North OP, if you want help up this way, PM me, glad to help.

QUOTE=bobalong;3815888]There has never in the history of hunting been more information available at your finger tips than now. There is info on almost all types of bows, rifles, shotguns, handguns, ammo how to takedown, clean, shoot, and if you don't want to read there are videos. Info on hunting styles, techniques, goggle maps, landowner maps, cutline/power line maps, skinning and cutting up an animal.

In fact I can't think of one thing you can't find info on if you spend a little bit of time looking. If you can read it actually has NEVER been easier to inform yourself on all things hunting than right now. And all this info is available to you before you hunt, during your hunt, and after the hunt. There is absolutely no reason you have to go into the bush on your first hunt completely green, none at all.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-23-2018, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
An internet search turned up AO, which says it’s a forum for hunters, new and old to share knowledge and experience about the passion for the outdoors. And some here see it as an opportunity to be A Holz.
What kinda hate you gotta have in you for that, just to scold a self declared newbie.
Gee whiz.
I’m in the North OP, if you want help up this way, PM me, glad to help.
I should probably just tell you to put the bottle away and go to bed but......Check my posts, I have helped many members on here with all kinds of info. My suggestion to this newbie was to put a little effort in himself that is all which many newbies have been told a hundred times before on here. Find it ironic that many members who are usually belittling new members, and ridiculing their choice in rifles, scopes, ammo etc. are now stepping up and trying to make out they are some kind of hero..........how hypocritical.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:36 AM

Many of us take for granted that we were fortunate to grow up in an outdoor sports family environment with BB guns and grouse and fly rods and trout and ducks and deer in the back forty,and Dad's and favorite Uncle Kevin to mentor us along the way and show us the ropes.....we all learned from somebody,share the wealth.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:39 AM

PM sent. I was very fortunate to have an excellent mentor for hunting and fishing growing up. Without him I’m not sure how I would have made out. I live in Calgary (but not a flames fan! Lol) and happy to meet and help you out Ethan. I’d love a chance to give back and help someone learn and not get discouraged.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:41 AM

I have introduced several new hunters to the sport over the years, and mentoring plays a large part in learning how to hunt, however the OP specifically asked which birds he could hunt, not how to hunt. The best way to learn the regulations, including which birds you can legally hunt, and when you can hunt them, is to read the regulations. By reading the regulations, you get actual information, not someones interpretation or opinion. I insist that every new hunter that I introduce to the sport reads the regulations, before we go to the field for the first time. If they have questions about interpreting a certain regulation, then I help them with that regulation, but they must first make the effort to read and understand the regulations before I will assist them. If the person is not willing to at least make the effort to learn the regulations on their own, then I am not going to try and explain them all to them.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Hey JR get back to me and we will talk about going up land bird hunting.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Take note hunters, Eurasian Collared Doves are now LEGAL to hunt/trap!
I would love that, but have been unable to find ANY official list that includes them (though all the other species on your list are non-licence species). In fact, the regs do not include Collared Doves, and explicitly say that "all birds are protected except the following". Where did you get your info from, please. I have a couple of spots with tons of them and would love to take some home for dinner if legal.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I would love that, but have been unable to find ANY official list that includes them (though all the other species on your list are non-licence species). In fact, the regs do not include Collared Doves, and explicitly say that "all birds are protected except the following". Where did you get your info from, please. I have a couple of spots with tons of them and would love to take some home for dinner if legal.
The changes are in the document that maters, the Wildlife Act wildlife regulation.

I have not seen notice of this change posted anywhere else. A new thread notifying hunters would be a good thing.

Section 6
Non licence animals.

https://www.canlii.org/webdiff/diff....-143-1997.html

Hope you get a pile of 'em.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The changes are in the document that maters, the Wildlife Act wildlife regulation.
Nice! I see it there. Didn't come up in any of the searches I made. Thanks for the link.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-29-2018, 09:24 AM

As a fellow newbie -When I read the first comments to this thread it seemed like everyone was jumping on OP for his lack of knowledge - when in fact that would be the exact reason he posted his question here!

It's great to see all of the much more helpful recent posts - showing this there is a community of people here willing to help out and guide a newbie to enjoy this activity.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
And we wonder why more people aren’t becoming hunters. Too hard for someone to get help, especially when they are so green. Too many selfish people that are smart asses or don’t wanna give away their “secrets”
Unfortunate.
X2 I’m the only hunter from a big family and we all have to start somewhere.