Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 12:53 AM

Default Crawling Valley Report

Ok haven't heard anything for awhile. Anyone been out trying the last weekend. Will be going out Tuesday afternoon till Saturday or Sunday. A short report will be appreciated. North around corner to the west (toward the Colony), south damn area, east side around islands, west side ( lots of Rocks). I do have my spots too. Jigging, trolling, minnows, worms, leaches, bottom bounce, cranks, ect. ect. I know 0 retention on walleye and pike, rarely come out of water to release. Only when really necessary. Will target the perch and Burbot though. Got the time. Thanks all for any report
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 AM

Bottom Bouncing with blades and gulp worms and leaches. Caught about 80 in 5 hrs, 3 people fishing. Even split between Pike and Walleye. Many different areas fished with results being positive. The bite is on.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM

I pretty much agree with that - biggest pike a bit over 9.5 lbs and mixed in with walleye where ever we went.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:03 AM

Forgot my bait at home.... bottom bounced with Gulp baits on the hooks... didn't actually notice a difference between the time a went and had bait....lol... the gulps last more than one fish!!! Caught between 15-25 FOW ..... weeds are getting high and forces you out a little further anyway!!
Old 07-14-2018, 10:34 AM

was there yesterday fishing was great as usual lots of walleye and some good sized pike. trolling and jigging 14 feet to 35 feet. along drop offs.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 PM

fished for whitefish for most of the morning but it was really slow only caught 4 and kept 3 whitefish but the walleye fishing was really good. verticle jigging on points and sunken islands
Old 07-21-2018, 01:54 PM

Ok got back from CVR on early Monday eve and had a blast. Oh ya got out the Tuesday before stayed the week. Caught fish every day mostly walleye and a few pike in between. All walleye were a pretty good size with a couple 4 plus lbs. biggest pike was just around 8lb healthy, good size belly and about 30 inch. Other pike about 4-6 lb. Only got 2 perch about 8 inch each. No burbot. Caught fish on jigs with minnow anywhere from 5ft to 20ft, bottom bounce and troll crank bait in around 18 fow. Casting around weed beds. Even a top water split back minnow. Pretty much any method we caught fish. My girlfriend never caught a fish before and then every time out she got a few. She's hooked lol. Friday evening was crazy crazy wind and huge big nasty waves glad everyone got off lake in time. The waves were hitting the rocks at the dam and then splashing up to the road.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Oh ya and the knuckle heads who fly by ya 50 ft. from your boat when they have a whole lake to play in ( 50 ft away is only 3 boat lengths away) meatheads is a nice word. Then the others who pull up 100 ft. in front of you while your trolling and mess around with their trolling motor and make you go around them to continue.........more meatheads. Guess I was in their favorite spot so I had to move over. All good though cause the best part was we caught a fish as we went by the knuckle heads every time. Hard to believe some people can be that ignorant. Whew got that off my mind
Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM

As a retired guy with time to play, I have spent a fair bit of time mapping CV with autochart and it doesn't matter where you are on that lake, there are fish if you are at the appropriate depth. My best suggestion to avoid idiots is to go to parts of the lake where they aren't - I have found this summer that that's where the best fishing is. My dream scenario is to be fishing just inside of a submerged rock pile and have one of those nail it just outside of me.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 PM

Has anyone been to CV lately? Looking to get out there....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Forgot my bait at home.... bottom bounced with Gulp baits on the hooks... didn't actually notice a difference between the time a went and had bait....lol... the gulps last more than one fish!!! Caught between 15-25 FOW ..... weeds are getting high and forces you out a little further anyway!!
I started using the brown Gulp Nightcrawler worms on spinner rigs sort of by accident. Fishing a lake with a hot bite and it was almost taking more time to put a real nightcrawler on than it did to catch a fish. Had a package of the Gulp worms in the side shelf of the boat put one on and have used them ever since on spinner rigs, that was about 6-7 years ago.

Stationary presentations like jigging or slip bobbing I have found live bait works best but trolling artificials have worked as well for me and at times you can catch 6-10 fish on the same worm.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:26 AM

Some times i will put on a bullet weight with a bait keeper hook and a 4-6 inch crawler or shad or other rubber baits and make it weedless (inserting hook inside crawler). This helps on those days ya kinda figure they are right in the thick of weeds. Just cast right in the middle of that weedy mess and lift and let it drop. No weed snags but good chance of a fish that's in hiding and not just on the edge
Old 08-13-2018, 05:26 PM

Fished CVR a couple of times last week. Jig head with a minnow 1-2 feet off the bottom. 9 walleye and 1 pike.

Good luck !!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:18 AM

Fished CVR on Thursday the 16th.

The lake was flat and it was hot out.
We caught 25 pike and 6 walleye.

We casted, trolled and jigged (with minnows).

The biggest pike was 30" and the biggest walleye was 4lbs.

Very weedy near the public boat ramp and the ramp was covered in goose poop.

Yet still a good day....

Old 08-18-2018, 08:15 AM

We are heading there Sunday for 4 days with some friends and 4 kids. They have never fished before so can't wait to see they're reaction when they hook their first one. They have never been on a boat either so also going to bring the big tube for some mid afternoon fun. I'm all for the fishn' Will report the results later
Old 08-18-2018, 09:32 AM

barbless; don't want to throw a big damper, but in Crawling you must use electronics re; depth. There are several hill tops less than a meter under the water, where visuals say there should be none. Many props and lower ends damaged in this Lake. That said it's a great campground and marina, good luck, just watch the sonar!!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
barbless; don't want to throw a big damper, but in Crawling you must use electronics re; depth. There are several hill tops less than a meter under the water, where visuals say there should be none. Many props and lower ends damaged in this Lake. That said it's a great campground and marina, good luck, just watch the sonar!!
Oh ya I know and thanks for the reminder Been there many a days and know of a few spots on the East, West, North parts of the lake where your in about 7-10 fow and then before ya know it, it's 2ft and a big boulder just under the surface shows up Have quite a bit of the lake tracked on my gps with way points for fish and bad spots. There are two big boulders just under the surface that should have buoy markers. I cant put a marker in the water cause someone said it could be littering Seen a few props that use to be three blade and came out with one....OUCH
Gonna have some fun and be boat smart for sure. Hope the fish cooperate for the kids cause don't wanna do this with them around LOL
Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 PM

barbless; year ago (before pavement) the "old guys" put markers on the fw spots. Regardless of the littering I think it's a great idea. I'm going to look for a bleach bottle and cement block.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:21 AM

Default Crawling Valley

Hi everyone, heading out there Sunday morning. I am nervous on where these boulders are that will take off props? Never have fished this lake and Sunday morning will be the 1st time. Could you please educate me on these locations? Thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 AM

Default Crawling Valley Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherboy View Post
Hi everyone, heading out there Sunday morning. I am nervous on where these boulders are that will take off props? Never have fished this lake and Sunday morning will be the 1st time. Could you please educate me on these locations? Thanks

Just be mindful that there’s a few spots and you’ll be ok. Keep to the middle of the lake to travel, and watch the sonar while exploring. There’s nothing that’s not fairly close to shore. There’s a spot kinda near the campground, but unless the waters low, it’ll be just real shallow.
North west side there’s a prop killer, yet it’s near some islands, and at times you can see one peeking out.
If you don’t have sonar, you could get in trouble. If your not watching, or using a depth alarm, your asking for it if your cruising where you shouldn’t be.
Again, there all in spots that are no real surprise. Once you have some paths recorded your golden.
When you leave the marina head straight out to the middle of the lake. South end has some weed patches that reach the surface, almost middle of the lake, but on the east side.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcherboy View Post
When I was out last week, and this is new;
As a one time annual thing, you now have to stop into the office to register your boat and pulling vehicle.....This is free BTW...
They provide you with a sticker which you have to produce on request.

Also in the office are free color lake maps and a big colored one on the wall to view. This is very informative for depth and structure.

Watch your depth. I use a fish finder more for my depth than finding fish, especially on CVR.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
barbless; year ago (before pavement) the "old guys" put markers on the fw spots. Regardless of the littering I think it's a great idea. I'm going to look for a bleach bottle and cement block.
Exactly what I mentioned a year ago and that's when it was brought up about littering. There are 3 for sure I know of. When you leave the marina go straight across the lake there is one there well before you get to the shore big weed bed and then big boulder. Be very aware when fishing on the west side not to get too close to the shore as it gets shallow real quick. On the north end a little east of middle there is a big one in 7 fow. I was going to mark them on the map in the office but never did.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:05 AM

Leaving in an hour for 5 days at CVR for nothing but fun and mind melting therapy. Son has to work so he stays home.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM

got there this morn at 715 (gates will open at 8 on Sept 1 and thereafter) +3 degrees out!! +18 when off at about noonish.

caught and released 51 when bite stopped at 11ish. 18 FOW, slipping the time away!! they were very related to structure.