Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Question Looking for Areas Around Calgary to Camp Free

So me and my fiancée are looking for places to camp around Calgary. Preferably somewhere out of the way where we wont meet anyone. We love canoeing and would LOVE above all else to find a nice little island in the middle of a lake to set up camp and fish from, but hike in places would work too, even places on the side of the road, the main thing is fishing access, isolation, and proximity to the city. Any ideas or jumping off points would be great. Pictures are worth a thousand posts
Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
So me and my fiancée are looking for places to camp around Calgary. Preferably somewhere out of the way where we wont meet anyone. We love canoeing and would LOVE above all else to find a nice little island in the middle of a lake to set up camp and fish from, but hike in places would work too, even places on the side of the road, the main thing is fishing access, isolation, and proximity to the city. Any ideas or jumping off points would be great. Pictures are worth a thousand posts
You and Me, and about a million others are looking for that same place. Let me know when you find one!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 PM

Must also be secluded and private, so be sure to post it online!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
camp around Calgary.....where we wont meet anyone...We love canoeing....nice little island....fishing access, isolation,... and proximity to the city.
Ummm....seriously??
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM

Last year, Olympic Plaza seemed to be the place....

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I am refraining from posting a smart alec response to your question and assume you are new to the city and know absolutely nothing about it. I normally drive 2 hours to get to a place that is somewhat secluded, and that includes 15 minutes of 4wheeling through some nasty stuff so I can get away from the travel trailer crowd. Even then we get folks quadding through our camping area....sometimes in early to mid September to boot.

In the late 90's BC had something like an average of 1.3 fishermen per lake, SK/MN had .7, Ontario had 2.3, Alberta had 97 fishermen per lake. I couldn't imagine the averages now considering our province's population has gone up probably 30% in the last 10 years give or take.

If you want what you describe, I think you need to move to a less populated part of the world like northern BC, Yukon, Northern Territory, N. Sask/Man., and possibly N. Alberta, etc. If you do find that secluded place within one hour of Calgary, by a lake or on an island, that none of us have found in 40+ years of living here, please post it. LOL.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 PM

Frank Lake near High River might work well.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Frank Lake near High River might work well.
Wow, that is so not the type of lake/slough I'd ever want to camp near. But to each his own, maybe it's the OP's type of place.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
Wow, that is so not the type of lake/slough I'd ever want to camp near. But to each his own, maybe it's the OP's type of place.
LOL!! I was joking.

He wouldn't have to worry about being interrupted by anyone though.

Tags
camping, canoeing, free