Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Eagle Lake

Hey Guys,
Have any of you had any luck at Eagle Lake, east of Strathmore?
I would like to go and catch some walleye and pike. I don't have a boat so I would be fishing from shore.

Thanks
Trapshooter
Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Its pretty much impossible to fish from shore cause the water is stays shallow like 3' - 4' 100 feet out. Oh yeah and the weeds dont help.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 PM

I know guys who used to wade & fish Eagle with good success years ago.
Apparently, if you have chest waders you can cover a lot of that lake...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Hey Guys,
Have any of you had any luck at Eagle Lake, east of Strathmore?
I would like to go and catch some walleye and pike. I don't have a boat so I would be fishing from shore.

Thanks
Trapshooter
Got out once a couple weeks ago but didn't get any fishing in. I just repaired a crack we put in my boat at Newell a couple months ago so me and my two boys were checking it out for leaks. All was good so zoomed to the south west corner by the old train trestle. Anchored, checked for any leaks again and the whole back of the boat was full of water! Bloody plug fell out when we ripped across the lake! Lesson learned to check and make sure the plug is tightened properly. Made it back just fine. I will be going there again this week, probably mid week. If all goes well I hope to have some fishing reports for you. Shore fishing would be really hard as Fenix_84 mentioned its shallow and weeds out 100yards then it starts dropping to 8-10 ft. The lady at the camp ground said that the fishing has been very good. In her 19years working there, this has been one of the best (for Walleye, not so much for Pike). Even with rollers, I had to put the hip waders on and push the boat off, so very shallow launch. Works if you have rollers, but could be a struggle if you have bunks. The camp ground closes Sept 12, so not much time left to launch. It was $8 for the boat and driver and an additional $2 for each person or pet. I don't mind the few bucks, the lake is virtually boat traffic free so gives me lots of time to check out my boat and make sure I got everything fixed.