Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

View Poll Results: Crossbows during archery season: Yes or No?
YES 81 57.04%
NO 61 42.96%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:40 PM

For example georgia where one of the studies was done, there are 60 deer per square mile on average. In one study area there are 75 deer per square mile!

Compared to alberta that is a huge variation so when it comes to hnter success surveys results will be different between here and there regardless of tool. And crossbows are not allowed there in rifle season!

comparing apples to hockey pucks!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
IMHO The people most behind the crossbow issue are a bunch of whiners and snivelers looking for an excuse to jump on an existing season by forcing an issue which has already been resolved.
Only person I see consistantly whining and snivelling on this thread,, is YOU!!!

QUOTE=nekred;121027]A crossbow uses a draw lock device which is not in line with Pope and Young's definition of rules of fair chase which is the spirit of what the Alberta Archery seasons approximate.[/QUOTE]

What makes Pope and Young the be all and end all of archery hunting? Because you cant get into the record books if you shoot an X-bow? big deal,, if you choose to use an Xbow you really dont care about getting in the record books. How many guys that hunt with rifles never have their deer officially scored by B&C.. Most, just because they dont care if they ever get into the record books.. Its not always about records,, and if it is your hunting for the wrong reasons,, its about getting together with your buddies having some fun and putting some meat in the freezer!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I am not representing any group at all with what I am saying. It is not some bow guys it is me, myself, and I. It is a suggestion that is all.Fair enough

Why force a closed issue where there is a lot of opposition when there is another avenue that cross bow users are not taking.Sorry, the season will not be overly extended, we have approx 3 months and Bow guys are using 2/3 of it

A crossbow uses a draw lock device which is not in line with Pope and Young's definition of rules of fair chase which is the spirit of what the Alberta Archery seasons approximate.Since when did the sun rise and fall on P&Y's azz? It seems as if there are a lot of people out there who do not follow that definition of fair chase. I use higher % let off bows for example

This like pushing a rope!.. for both sides! It is the number of hunters in the season which would lead to greater harvest rates not just the tool.Overall #'s are what I am referring to. like I said we only have one male tag each

The definition of archery tackle to be used in archery seasin in alberta has been decided a long time ago and crossbows were available then. Nothing has changed in the tool or equipment to suggest a need for a change.Now that shows some far sighted thinking... Things change.. Get over it.

The stats shown are biased and flawed on both sides because they are not applicable in Alberta because the wildlife numbers, hunter numbers, regulations, seasons, and politics are totally different.
Just because I speak of stats you don't agree with doesn't make them wrong. I think I could trot out stats till I was blue in the face, and you would still say there were wrong

I ask again.. what are you afraid of? More competition for access? Less deer? More people in the field? I just don't get it

Jamie
Old 03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Shrubs

Lots of good points being brought up in this thread, makes a guy think.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 PM

What's wrong with hunting with a crossbow in the rifle season?

As far as the P&Y goes, I was always on the fence as to their max let off rules for entering , for a few reasons, non of which I will discuss here because it doesn't matter to me.
Those archers who use a higher percentage let off can enter their deer in other books.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-07-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 PM

Default xbows

Jamie coming to the aba banquet?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Oh God...not again!

Hey Mods,

Isn't this why we now have an ARCHERY forum. How about moving this where the interested parties can fume over it!
Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbb View Post
Well, I looked on the ABA's website, and I cant see any mention of 2008.

Do you have any more info? If it is here in Calgary, I would take a look at comming. I like banquets. Allways great people to talk with and usually lots of good auctions.
I have plans at this point to go to the SCI NA banquet and have already been to the AHEIA one here in Calgary.

Jamie
Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I like banquets.
I bet you do
Received Infraction
Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troller View Post
I bet you do
HUH??
Sorry, I am not following...
Care to explain?

Jamie
Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbb View Post
Yeah, and wear a crossbow t-shirt
Old 03-08-2008, 01:52 PM

I'm starting to see the light. The bow guys have got me convinced. I'm going to start campaigning for a .270 Winchester season. It really is a distinct caliber from the 30-06 or any of those horrid WSM's. And I think I'd like to get September and October exclusively. No one else in the field. You other rifle guys can just go and get your own seasons. Who's with me???? COME ON!!!!!!!

Last edited by Okotokian; 03-08-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm starting to see the light. The bow guys have got me convinced. I'm going to start campaigning for a .270 Winchester season. It really is a distinct caliber from the 30-06 or any of those horrid WSM's. And I think I'd like to get September and October exclusively. No one else in the field. You other rifle guys can just go and get your own seasons. Who's with me???? COME ON!!!!!!!
Your right OKO..
How in gods green earth are you suppose to compete with a 30-06. Especially a Semi Auto...
What is this world comming to...
THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Jamie
Old 03-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You 270'ers can throw in with the lever action crowd - stay the *&%$ outta my
WSM season!!
or - we can go with my original request and hunt with what we want when we want in a regular season!
Cat
Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 PM

this thread has gone from bad to rediculous. Its closed.