Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Default Looking for new bow

I'm looking a good all round compound bow that i can use for target shooting and hunting.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM

It is all going to depend on how much you want to spend. The best thing that you can do is shoot as many different bow as you can and see which one fits you the best. Everyone has different opinions on which bow is the best because everyone has different shooting habbits. Like I said above shoot as many as you can and buy the one that fits you the best and can afford. With that said I have a Mathews DXT that I just bought, before that I had a PSE combo that I got from Trophy Book Archery that I paid $450 for. It worked just fine for a starter bow.That is what I shot my elk with last year. Hope this helped.

Trev
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 PM

call martin at swamp donkey 780-720-8357
he will help u set up with what you not what the local shops are pushing that week he can get any brand and i garantee he will be cheaper
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 AM

Default bow

I have a 2006 hoyt protec if interested e-mail me at tkennedy73178@ns.sympatico.ca for pic.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 PM

what ever you do make sure the draw length is right! Some bows aren't easily adjusted to fit a person. I strongly advise that you visit an archery shop (not Walmart or Canadian Tire!)
Old 03-13-2008, 10:06 PM

Default looking for new bow

ya, i knew i was going to get either a mattew or hoyt. I have a good access to a number of bows for i shoot at sherwood park archery club every saturday with the junior club. But that is one the struggles that i have fitting my bow for i'm growing realy fast but my physical strength isn't keeping up with my draw length, and its hard to find a bow with medium draw length but low pull weight.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM

getting a bow for both hunting and target is kind of lke trying to get a vehicle that is good for street racing and 4x4 ing....

The charactaristics of the bows are a bit different.

ATA: longer is better for target more accurate, shorter is better for hunting as it is more convenient.

Speed: Fast is better for hunting, slower is better for target, but not too slow either

Brace height: again see above for speed!... long is more forgiving for target and short is faster!.....

Now we have that in the mix with the fact you are still growing. Mathews and Hoyt you have to change cams as drawlength changes and makes major changes for charactaristics.

I would look at a bow with a modular system. You identify that you like lower draw weight and 40 is minimum for hunting.

As a coach familiar with the coach of the junior program at Sherwood i would say talk to her as she can help you.

What you have to decide is what is most important to you. Target or hunting!.... A hunting bow will work for target but not be ideal. A target bow will work for hunting but will not be ideal!....

Also what kind of target are you talking about, Indoor, or Outdoor, paper or 3D?....

here is what I am doing!.... Mathews Outback for Hunting, Bowtech Guardian for 3D, and Bowtech Commander for Target. The guardian works for all three as well but I got the commander because it is a littlke less speed and longer ATA for Target specifically Outdoor Fita where 90m is far distance but all match play is at 70m.

I can help you out but I need to know some more specifics. that I have asked.... and tried to explain why!...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 AM

Default check out the sportsman show for deals

Go to the sportsman show this weekend, They have some decent deals on right now. You will find Martin (swamp donkey) on the lower level. There are also a number of other archery stores there aswell.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 PM

I mostly shoot at 40cm targets indoors and 3D shoots during summer. But i'm going to be out of the club in a couple years so i want to be able to use the bow after that for hunting. As well i mostly shoot for the fun of it not the compitetion so i'm fine to have a bow that isn't perfectly setup for indoor target shooting. on thursday night i went to the sportmans show and got some catalogs. I could only find Alpine and Bear catalogs and I know I wont get any of them but i just wonted to see there specs and whats out there on the market.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 PM

Young buck i am sending you a PM!...