Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I agree that the reels aren't terrific. But my kids have a few of these combo's that have been used pretty regularly for a couple seasons now and are still working fine. A Pflueger President on the same rod would be better, but for the same price as the combo I don't know what reel you would be putting on an Ugly Stik and coming out ahead. I'd be interested to hear.
Just read the whole thread and see we are actually saying the same thing.
I just have no experience withy the new ugly sticks. Hence why I am biased against them(I have an older one and it's basically only good for slip bobbers and trolling). I'm guessing these new ones you are referring to are higher quality.....
Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

For the type of fishing you are thinking of doing you can get everything you need at Walmart or Canadian Tire and it won't cost you very much, under $150.00 for sure.

Rhino rods are really good.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
For the type of fishing you are thinking of doing you can get everything you need at Walmart or Canadian Tire and it won't cost you very much, under $150.00 for sure.

Rhino rods are really good.
I don't support Wal Mart and CT has awful awful non existent service and I'm pretty happy with the service I got at Wholesale Sports. Won't make it out till next weekend tho.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
And people wonder why they get skunked when the rods sitting in the holder all day lol. No reference to yourself- I don't know how you fish or whether or not you're a good angler. Just a general comment. You mentioned the need for sensitivity while drop shotting and jigging so I'm guessing you're no rookie.

Our New lake approach: we have a modified bottom bouncing rig for locating walleye. Then we sit on top of the school(or interesting structure)until we've exhausted that spot. Rinse and repeat. The only time the rod is in the holder is during that locating process.
Established spots: jigging bait and or skipping swim baits. Those two areas are critical to have a good rod- at least in my perspective.
I fully believe the higher quality rods have that backbone to couple with the sensitivity where the cheaper stuff you usually only get 1 of the two.

My theory in a nutshell:
A $40 reel will mimic a $300 reel better than a $30 rod will mimic a $150 rod. Hence why I tend to spend the money FIRST on the rod. Reels are über important but come second place- especially if we're taking budgets and "needs".
Even an Ugly Stik lovin' spoon chucker has to agree with those two statements.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Just read the whole thread and see we are actually saying the same thing.
I just have no experience withy the new ugly sticks. Hence why I am biased against them(I have an older one and it's basically only good for slip bobbers and trolling). I'm guessing these new ones you are referring to are higher quality.....
Much more sensitive and a wicked backbone... only time will tell if they are as tough but I have high hopes.

Not saying that they are a great jigging rod, but they will do the job passibly, rather than not at all.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Banned

There's what you really need,

And then there is what you actually end up buying.

Boxes of tackle, assortment of rods and reels,
Maybe a boat.

And so forth.

Bet ya you can't just buy one.

Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
There's what you really need,

And then there is what you actually end up buying.

Boxes of tackle, assortment of rods and reels,
Maybe a boat.

And so forth.

Bet ya you can't just buy one.

Enjoy.
^^this

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk313 View Post
^^this

Personally, I think if a guy has a couple spinning rods and a basic collection of tackle he's better off saving up for a boat. A boat of any sort will boost your catch rate far more than 50 lbs of tackle and a whole closet full of expensive rods. Shore bound anglers with huge tackle boxes and thousands invested in high tech fishing rods make me laugh.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think if a guy has a couple spinning rods and a basic collection of tackle he's better off saving up for a boat. A boat of any sort will boost your catch rate far more than 50 lbs of tackle and a whole closet full of expensive rods. Shore bound anglers with huge tackle boxes and thousands invested in high tech fishing rods make me laugh.
Definitely can't argue with that thinking.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hahaha yep sounds like those guys at shooting ranges all Tac'd out with the vest and magazine holders on their belt and a 1911 so blinged out it would make a Mexican druglord jealous lmao
Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 PM

A norinco 1911 no less. ?

That being said I have a norinco 1911 ?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
Hahaha yep sounds like those guys at shooting ranges all Tac'd out with the vest and magazine holders on their belt and a 1911 so blinged out it would make a Mexican druglord jealous lmao
I equate it more to hunters that have a whole safe full of rifles but cant afford a decent sleeping bag or good boots. You hang around on internet too long, listening to the gear junkies a little too much, and you're priorities get out of whack. You end up buying stuff that contributes to your actual outdoor experience very little.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:10 PM

Go to local fishin hole store and talk to the guys in there. They will give you the best advice, especially if you can talk to some of the more experienced knowledgable staff.

The big stores are often useless for help, even if you can find a person for help lots of time they won't know the answer to what you are asking.

Last edited by RavYak; 06-06-2017 at 08:15 PM.