Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 PM

Default Just "discovered" strip on spinners, a few pics.

Thursday night, opening day for the rivers (whoohoo!) and I was looking at a snag infested hole trying to decide what to chuck in there first. I decided that I may as well use something I didn't particularly care about since I was probably going to lose it anyways, rooted through my tackle box and came up with a couple old strip on spinners. I don't even know how I have a strip on spinner, I've never fished one or even heard of anyone I know using one, these things pre-date my fishing days by so much time I don't even know how I know what they are or how to rig them!

Here's a picture of a strip on spinner, by coincidence there's a few other timeless classics in there too. It doesn't get much more basic than this. Anyways, you can take the hook off the spinner, shove the shank into the minnow at its anus and out its mouth, then put the hook back on the spinner. I started fishing them and right away I started getting bit pretty much every cast. The strip on outfished anything else I tried by a good margin.

By using the right sized rubber core sinker about 12" ahead of the spinner I could get it to run whatever depth I needed as I jumped to different holes. That spinner will work even when retrieved at a crawl, something about the ridiculously slow pace, the flash, and the minnow made this old lure dynamite. An added benefit was that when a fish I wanted to release took the hook deep (actually seems to be quite rare with this setup) I could simply detach the hook, I keep my spinner and the poor fish doesnt have to swim around with a lure in his mouth.

Heavy rains had the river swollen and muddy as heck today, I went back out at noon when the rain slowed down and things were predictably slow. I went to a hole that had been producing good last night and I couldn't buy a bite, I decided to try the strip on again just for the heck of it.... Bam! I was back into fish. I stuck my rod in the holder and let the current work the spinner while I ate my lunch, took a long time to finish cause those darn walleye wouldn't quit biting!

Besides lots of walleye I caught a couple nice Pike, in a good current they sure know how to warm up the drag! I didnt get a picture of either big pike because at that point I was unaware that I had a camera onboard. But here is a picture of a smaller one, there were plenty of these hitting.

That's a pretty good mouthful for a goldeye, but they didn't seem to care. Although I tried, today I couldn't catch a thing on anything else, I might have got maybe one fish on a spoon or a jig at some point but if I hadn't "discovered" the strip on last night it would have been a pretty slow day.

And that's about my favorite type of fishing... on a river with a bunch of different species, tossing something that just about anything will hit. Every time you feel your rod bump it might be anything from a 12" goldeye to a 40" pike... great times!

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-02-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43 PM

Good write up. Thanks for taking the time and....
Way to go!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 AM
Banned

Nice post Bushleague.

That is a Lucky Strike - June Bug Spinner, my all time favorite spinner I use for trolling for pickerel, slays them and the pike too. They can be used with leaches and worms as well.

They use to be sold at Canadian Tire but I can't find them anymore, so I call Lucky Strike's head office and order a couple dozen at a time. They come in different patterns but plain silver is my favorite.

Last edited by 338 Rules; 06-03-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:58 AM

Great thread.

Love the Mitchell 300!
Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 AM

I use to have a gold hildebrandt june bug. It was awesome for east coast brookies, hmmmm now I wonder where it went.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Beautiful Fish. Which river was this at?

Northern Pike: 32
Trout: 17
Yellow Perch: 1
Burbot: 0
Whitefish: 2
Sturgeon: Never gonna catch one anyway..

Any questions? Feel free to PM me
Old 06-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Right on, love river fishing! I was gonna say those lures probably came with the reel!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Banned

Forgot to mention that those June Bugs work great behind a gang troller if you are fishing/trolling for all kinds of trout.

Great pictures by the way!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Default June Bugs ....

I have some from my grandfather from the late 40s and early 50 s .

They look good on nylon camo line and a Shakespeare Wonder reel .
Old 06-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Wow, that lure takes me back 50 years to when I was a kid in Manitoba! They were always really good, but light. When trolling you had to add a fair amount of weight to "get them down to the walleye" or else you would just be towing them 2 ft. from the surface. Perhaps with back trolling or a slow electric motor they would sink deep enough, but at regular trolling speeds they are too light and too near the surface unless you add lots of weight.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
Nice post Bushleague.

That is a Lucky Strike - June Bug Spinner, my all time favorite spinner I use for trolling for pickerel, slays them and the pike too. They can be used with leaches and worms as well.

They use to be sold at Canadian Tire but I can't find them anymore, so I call Lucky Strike's head office and order a couple dozen at a time. They come in different patterns but plain silver is my favorite.

]
You are of course correct. I googled strip on spinners and they are slightly different. I'll be on the hunt for more of these now. I tie up short walleye spinners so I can cast them and use them quite regularly in the river, but these were working better this week and the ability to change out the hook to suit whatever bait I'm using is pretty convenient.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:47 AM

Check out ErieDearie same idea but weighted. Can be casted or trolled for walleyes. One of my fathers favorites.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

Just did a quick check there are selling them at Canadian Tire again for $4.99 a pack of 3 and they are also selling the Baby June Bug and the 1/4 oz. June Bug!

Like you Bushleague, if I want to take it down I just added a bullet weight with a stopper and when I rig my worms and leaches I feed then through the wire leaving the tail out and use a piece of rubber at the end of the hook to keep them on.

Anyway outstanding pictures and I wish I was there with you, looks like a blast!

PS: I have found that the leaches produce the most pickerel, also you can adjust the speed of the spoon by bending the arm.

Last edited by 338 Rules; 06-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
Check out ErieDearie same idea but weighted. Can be casted or trolled for walleyes. One of my fathers favorites.
Yeah, I have Eirie Dearie's and I fish them regularly. The June Bugs were working better this week.