Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Flathead Chub in Drumheller

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here. I will be visiting Alberta with family on Jun 20. We're headed to Drumheller and I'm hoping to catch Flathead Chub. I've never caught one before and would like to add it to my species list.

I've read a few posts on here that members have caught them around Drumheller. I'm wondering if June would be possible to fish for them. Is the water too high or muddy?

I would assume that a bottom rig with worms and small hooks would be good to catch them. Do you find them in faster or slower water? Shallow or deep?

I appreciate any and all info.

Thanks!

Ken
Old 06-03-2017, 06:03 PM

look for back eddies, deeper holes, slower water,, muddy doesn't matter. I imagine they make great musky bait
Old 06-04-2017, 09:53 AM

Thank you very much Crankbait. Sounds like fishing around bridge structures would be the suitable locations to find Flathead Chub.

Don't worry, I'm not going to bring them back to Ontario to use as musky baits LOL. I was given that nickname because I'm a small guy and I would be the perfect bait if "we put you on the hook and ask you to flop around in the water".
Old 06-04-2017, 06:09 PM

i know a perfect spot for chub on the rdr, go to 25 roper road and go near the bridge, there you will see a steep hill, slide down and enjoy your bait. DO NOT USE WORM AS ALL THE GOLDEYE WOULD STEAL IT.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Thanks i love fishing! I was looking on Google Maps and Roper Rd was one of the bridge I considered trying. It's great to get a vote of confidence.

I don't mind the Goldeye stealing the bait...they can be fun too...as long as eventually a Flathead Chub will come along.

I've read some tips on Goldeye fishing here...small chunk of bait instead of big piece of worm so the Goldeye won't chop up the bait without getting hooked. I'm planning to use hooks as small as #12 or #14 with a small piece worm and hope the Flathead Chub will eventually find it. Sounds about right?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 PM

the only problem i encountered using the small hook sizes you mentioned is #12 + #14's the fish tend to gulp as it holds a much smaller bait and i found two weeks ago fishing the red deer river a good majority took the small hooks deep and i ended up just repeatedly cutting the line as close as i can to the fish. my buddy was using #6 i think and all hooked close to the nose of the fish. as soon as i changed to a larger hook size #6 bait holder hooks i started to hook them on the edge of the mouth and not taking it down deep. for hook set i have been trying to set the hook as soon as they hit but didn't help in the deep hook ups.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am planning to use #14 to #12 octopus hooks that are usually used for Steelhead in Ontario. They have a much bigger hook gap than the typical #14 fly hook. But I always have a bunch of larger hooks that can be swapped should deep hooking start to become a problem.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM

I catch them all the time down around Steveville. I'm usually bottom fishing with worms on a 2/0 octopus circle hook on a slip sinker rig.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieBait View Post
Thanks i love fishing! I was looking on Google Maps and Roper Rd was one of the bridge I considered trying. It's great to get a vote of confidence.

I don't mind the Goldeye stealing the bait...they can be fun too...as long as eventually a Flathead Chub will come along.

I've read some tips on Goldeye fishing here...small chunk of bait instead of big piece of worm so the Goldeye won't chop up the bait without getting hooked. I'm planning to use hooks as small as #12 or #14 with a small piece worm and hope the Flathead Chub will eventually find it. Sounds about right?
if you use like a pikerel rig one with minnow and one with worm , could catch all kinds of sportfish and non-sportfish
Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Default road west

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love fishing View Post
if you use like a pikerel rig one with minnow and one with worm , could catch all kinds of sportfish and non-sportfish
Thanks. I'm mainly after the non-sportfish, so I'll likely stick to worms. Would be a bonus to catch a Longnose Sucker, Quillback Carpsucker, River Shiner or Spoonhead Sculpin. All would be new species on the list.