Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 PM

Default Trout Rivers or streams? where am I allowed to keep one? Reg Clarification?

So im looking for some small streams or rivers to catch one or two trout. I like to do this once or twice a summer have a pan fry Not looking for stocked ponds.

Im looking for something closer to calgary if possible now that the bow is locked up ill have to go farther. Reading the regulations every stream/creek near the oldman is zero limit. Most of K country as well is zero limit. Red deer river, little red deer, every river listed it seems that the river AND all tributaries zero limit. So because every creek/stream is technically a trib of a bigger river. Is all the waters closed to keeping trout.

The regulations say any stream not listed in the regs has a limit of two. But for example Dutch Creek is not listed in the regs. but it is a trib of Oldman.

Grease Creek, Harold creek in the water valley area as well are technically tribs of Red Deer or little red deer i can not remember which. (Sorry i dont have my gps on me) This is where my confusion comes in?

I am not afraid to hike or wade I am just looking suggestions?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:43 PM

Maybe you just need to target Brookies seems like there are more opportunities to keep them.

But there are some rivers still open to harvesting just not many.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Maybe you just need to target Brookies seems like there are more opportunities to keep them.

But there are some rivers still open to harvesting just not many.
Or whitefish. When I'm in the mountains and want to eat a fish I generally drop shot a nymph for rockys. A lot more creeks and rivers are open for whites than trout.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:18 PM

They are all closed for retention for good reason. Why not keep a trout froma stocked pond? that's why they are there.....
Old 06-05-2017, 07:41 AM

Small streams can get fished out really quickly with the volume of fishers we have. Better to practice C/R, as was said you can target Brookies and Whities in many streams.

Please study your fish ID.
Keep safe out there

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Some good alternates brought up on here such as brookies or rockies. Otherwise, you won't find much and will not get any sympathy on here. Too few streams with too many challenges and too many people make it a tough sell.

If not stocked ponds, which some a really bad for taste, I get that, what about some cleaner or mountain lakes? For me it is Jasper. I'm really haven't fished Banff much which sounds like it is closer to you.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM

I have tried a few of the ponds the fish usually taste like mud. I do not eat alot of fish, just once or twice a summer. I approach fishing as i do hunting, I dont catch and release, unless they are too small then i release. I know people are preaching catch and release but I dont want to hurt the fish or tire them out for no reason. I eat what I catch if Im allowed. I fish a few times a summer. I am not an avid fisherman. I do spend lots of time outdoors hiking/camping etc. Brookies would be fine, but ive never caught a brookie only in ponds in Alberta.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:09 PM

i had a brown trout out of a stocked lake last night for dinner it was very good eating . but maybe a lake is different than a pond .
Old 06-05-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Yo

If u can travel about 2 hrs away I have a Creek for u to try.....there are brook trout ........pm me if interested...people on this site have helped me out....I'd like to return the favor

Happy