Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Sure, damn the facts eh?

2 different completely structurally different boats with 2 completely different hull shapes designed for different purposes within 100lb of each other...

Personally I don't take that as relevant or any evidence of plastic being faster than aluminum, or of plastic not being heavier.

If you're going to compare, then compare like to like, as EZM has for example, in his comparison:

Two virtually identical boats from lund currently being manufactured, the Fiberglass boat:

1. Requires a larger full tank (13 Gallons) for the same range, because of the increased weight.

2. 25HP more on the engine to reach the same top speed (within 1mph)

3. It is 702lb heavier for towing weight.

4. It's $7839 dollars more expensive

5. According to EZM, it performs pretty much the same with respect
to ride/handling with only slight differences.

6. The Aluminum is more durable.

7. The Plastic boat is prettier.

For sure - my tinner was a little quicker up out of the hole, a little quicker on plane and a little faster - as expected with a lighter boat.

The Glass boat was a little more stable at high speed in moderate chop - again - as expected.

Keep in mind - hull designs were both ISP2 and both had 150 Hondas with a 19 pitch prop. So it was about as equal of a test one could ask for really.

The only surprise to me was that there wasn't more of a difference.

I think a glass bass hull versus a tinner deep vee would certainly provide way more of a difference in testing. As expected.

For our uses out here in Alberta - it's hard to argue against the merits of a tinner with a deep v.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:29 AM
Banned

Default Do not buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
So I have a friend who recently asked me if I wanted to buy his 640lx Nitro bass boat. I don't know much about fishing in bass boats nor do I know how they handle large lakes and rough water. If anyone has any info or past experiences I would love to know about it. Worth buying or not? I'm not sure they year, I'm guess info around 2001. Cheers
Do not buy it. It's too short. 16 ft will not cut it.

If your looking for a Bass Boat focus on the 19 to 22 ft length.

They are great due to the low profile. Ride is smooth in choppy water if the length is there.

Get lots of HP. Somewhere around 175 to 250 HP.

It's a totally different experience. You can get into shallow water like you have never before. Add a power pole on the back of better yet a pair of them.

Hunt the used market in Canada. They are around but but rare especially in Ranger or Skeeter. More easy selection in the USA.

Too bad the exchange rate with US is poor now. Loads of really nice boats.

Check NADA for pricing benchmark in used. You will be amazed you can pick up a 22 ft Ranger that is about 15 years old and high quality for very little.

You just have to go and get it but it's worth effort.

Best areas to search on Boat Trader is the Ohio / Kentucky / Texas area.

I imagine Texas most likely the best place right now to find one.

If you do not feel like towing it back I paid 2500 US for some guys from Tennessee to go to Cincinnati and bring mine to the border just south of Osoyoos. Easy.

Buying new something like that will cost you 90 thousand US. Used 18 thousand US.

Get the 22 footer Ranger Comanchee and never look back again. Fast. Nimble. A fantastic platform on the water. They usually come loaded and are garage queens.

You will never loose money on it buying used.

Last edited by Mangosteen; 03-30-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default Don't do that !

Lowrance don't do that ....you won't be happy fishing Alberta
Reservoirs in a Bass boat .
The best all round hull for fishing in the wind is definitely
iPS hull . Nothing compares for vertical fishing in a hull with
A walk thru .
Don't buy anything , the banks will be giving boats away
Here in 2 yrs . Repo heaven !
Old 03-30-2016, 06:56 AM

I must have been one of the few with a rock guard for my aluminum boat. I wouldn't be caught dead without one, tin or glass.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:10 AM
Banned

Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Lowrance don't do that ....you won't be happy fishing Alberta
Reservoirs in a Bass boat .
The best all round hull for fishing in the wind is definitely
iPS hull . Nothing compares for vertical fishing in a hull with
A walk thru .
Don't buy anything , the banks will be giving boats away
Here in 2 yrs . Repo heaven !
Depends if he is fishing in the Windy south or up in the northern parkland area.

Bass Bosts are low profile by design so the wind does not push the boat around.

Human shelter ( hard top / plastic canvas canopy ) is a totally different topic when fishing.

Alberta is not the rainy west coast. If your north of Olds you don't have the horrendous winds except for when a big low comes through.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Look what we have turned into...my boats lighter and faster than yours...handles bigger water and ....oh my wait one...fish on

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-30-2016, 11:05 AM

Tons of great info on here, thanks to everyone who chimed in. I have decided that 16ft is too small if I were to go with a bass boat. It seemed like a good idea and the price was right but I have been in some rough water in undersized craft before and as we all know, that is not a fun experience. I am leaning towards aluminum if for nothing more than added durability. Personally I find the fishing in a heavier fiberglass boat to be a bit more stable but with that comes some of the issues aforementioned in this thread. Some really great posts though so thanks again to everyone who has offered input.

Do you really think now is a bad time to buy and that in a couple years repo boats will be on the cheap? Would love me a Lund for a bargain...
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Do you really think now is a bad time to buy and that in a couple years repo boats will be on the cheap? Would love me a Lund for a bargain...
No.

Trying to predict the economy two years out is difficult to say the least. The so called "experts" can't even do that.

The market here is actually not as bad as you'd think. There are new boats selling, and a quick search of the classifieds suggests that there aren't a lot of forced sales going on right now, prices are pretty stable. On top of that, the economy is still relatively strong in the USA, and with the high USD, there will always be a demand for used boats south of the border.

That said, you might find a real bargain somewhere down the line, but if you do, you can always snap it up then. No reason to be without a boat in the meantime though.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
No.

Trying to predict the economy two years out is difficult to say the least. The so called "experts" can't even do that.

The market here is actually not as bad as you'd think. There are new boats selling, and a quick search of the classifieds suggests that there aren't a lot of forced sales going on right now, prices are pretty stable. On top of that, the economy is still relatively strong in the USA, and with the high USD, there will always be a demand for used boats south of the border.

That said, you might find a real bargain somewhere down the line, but if you do, you can always snap it up then. No reason to be without a boat in the meantime though.
You're probably right Walleyedude. Is it then a good idea to look at buying a boat south of the boarder? I haven't had much luck finding something locally - used. I would buy new if the price was right of course. In the meantime I mainly either fish at lakes that have lodges/boat rentals or with friends who own themselves. I used to own a 12 ft lund tinner and it was about as good as a canoe. I think i'm ready to step my game up but want to make sure im getting bang for my buck and everything else. Any other avenues for finding the right boat? Cheers
Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM

South of the border gives you more options, there's just a lot more boats to choose from down there, but with the dollar where it is, there won't be many bargains to be had, especially once you factor in the cost of the road trip to go get the boat.

Keep your eyes open in AB/SK/MB, there's a lot of boats out there. It's early yet, you never know what might pop up for sale. Kijiji, Facebook, Walleye Central, Bismanonline, etc... are all good options for searching. I'm not real sure how to find them more precisely, but I'd look at the Ontario market too.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM

Good stuff in this thread. Summer 2018, I'll be looking at getting my first truck and a boat to go with that. When I was a little kid, I used to dream of a Misty River boat with a Merc motor. As I got older, I've realized that all I want is a Lund with Merc. Fishing Alberta is so much different than the massive rivers/lakes of eastern Manitoba that I grew up on, and I'd want something to handle both. It'll be really interesting to see what prices are like in a couple years.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post (argue...lol) in this thread!
Old 03-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Good stuff in this thread. Summer 2018, I'll be looking at getting my first truck and a boat to go with that. When I was a little kid, I used to dream of a Misty River boat with a Merc motor. As I got older, I've realized that all I want is a Lund with Merc. Fishing Alberta is so much different than the massive rivers/lakes of eastern Manitoba that I grew up on, and I'd want something to handle both. It'll be really interesting to see what prices are like in a couple years.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post (argue...lol) in this thread!
And - when you graduate from the Lund with a Merc ........ go to Lund with a Honda like I did !!!

Nothing wrong with today's Mercs ......... Hondas are just more reliable, less temperamental and bullet proof I think. They are also simple, basic and a breeze to fix.

I know many may argue with me, but look at many of the remote camps and remote villages out in the boonies ........ the ratio of Yammy and Hondas compared to Mercs is much different compared to what you will find in the prairies around major cities.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Tons of great info on here, thanks to everyone who chimed in. I have decided that 16ft is too small if I were to go with a bass boat. It seemed like a good idea and the price was right but I have been in some rough water in undersized craft before and as we all know, that is not a fun experience. I am leaning towards aluminum if for nothing more than added durability. Personally I find the fishing in a heavier fiberglass boat to be a bit more stable but with that comes some of the issues aforementioned in this thread. Some really great posts though so thanks again to everyone who has offered input.

Other than the exchange rate - I wouldn't say it's a bad time to buy a boat right now. I will sell you my 2013 Lund Tyee for $60K CDN ....... that's a bargain as the prices for American made boats have sky rocketed. I will throw in the $ 10,000 of fishfinders, trolling motor, electronics and other stuff I've probably added into it too. Lol.

On a serious note - if you could find something similar and get a good deal on it - I have very much enjoyed the boat and am very happy with it for both big lakes and small ones alike. Perfect boat for the Prairies and the occasional big trip on a big lake in BC, SK, or MB.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:03 PM

Another thing that I just thought of, EZM's post twigged me to it, is that if you're considering buying new at all, look around NOW at the dealers for holdover 2015s. The best deals I've seen out there by far have been on new, in stock 2015 models. They sold fast at the boat shows this spring because the prices were 25-35% cheaper than the 2016s. There might be a few left out there...
Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
South of the border gives you more options, there's just a lot more boats to choose from down there, but with the dollar where it is, there won't be many bargains to be had, especially once you factor in the cost of the road trip to go get the boat.

Keep your eyes open in AB/SK/MB, there's a lot of boats out there. It's early yet, you never know what might pop up for sale. Kijiji, Facebook, Walleye Central, Bismanonline, etc... are all good options for searching. I'm not real sure how to find them more precisely, but I'd look at the Ontario market too.
I don't disagree with you.
I just want to point out if you do decide on an aluminum boat and consider shopping in the U.S. - take a close look at dealers in the Portland Oregon area. I know there were a bunch of them when I bought my boat and they were very competitive.

Personally, I can vouch for Sigler's Marine.

Have fun shopping!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:55 AM

Default Bass boat and Alberta fishing?

Quote:

I searched the used market for a couple years, looking for a Lund with the layout I wanted. Those I found that were in good shape and the style I was looking for were about 75% of new pricing. I really expected boat prices to drop (both new and used) but they didn't seem to be doing that, despite what the economy would seem to indicate. In the end I bought new with the intention of keeping it for years. (See my thread here for pics if you would like). My kids are only getting older. Limited time and opportunity to spend on the water with them drove my decision and made it an easy sell with my wife.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 AM

I purchased my boat, by complete dumb luck, EXACTLY, the month the exchange rate CDN/USD was most favorable. The CDN dollar was actually worth more than the US that time ( I think I paid for mid Jan 2013) and If I recall - got 1.03 or something.

My Lund Tyee, with all available options, full stand up premium canopy, travel cover, ski package, pilots chairs with air ride, I-pilot link motor, on board chargers, fuse block, Ethernet, 3 head units, etc...etc.. etc... and a 150HP Honda for under $40,000.

Same build - online today is $65,000 USD or almost $ 90,000 CDN. And does not include all the electronics, Ethernet, fuse block and wiring, etc.. that I have (which is easily $10K).

I could literally and actually sell my used boat for more than I paid for it and sell it in a heartbeat based on what I see online in terms of used boat pricing.

Exchange does impact the price for sure ......... so Sam's is exactly right - my 2013 would be worth 75% of new - and based on a $90K price tag - I'm at something like $65K CDN.

Nevertheless - if I sold it - I'd still have to spend more of my money to replace it - so there is no point really.

But yeah - exchange is one big factor and finding a deal is another big factor.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I purchased my boat, by complete dumb luck, EXACTLY, the month the exchange rate CDN/USD was most favorable. The CDN dollar was actually worth more than the US that time ( I think I paid for mid Jan 2013) and If I recall - got 1.03 or something.

My Lund Tyee, with all available options, full stand up premium canopy, travel cover, ski package, pilots chairs with air ride, I-pilot link motor, on board chargers, fuse block, Ethernet, 3 head units, etc...etc.. etc... and a 150HP Honda for under $40,000.
In the words of Napoleon Dynamite: "LUCKEEEEE!"

SS
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Same build - online today is $65,000 USD or almost $ 90,000 CDN. And does not include all the electronics, Ethernet, fuse block and wiring, etc.. that I have (which is easily $10K).

I could literally and actually sell my used boat for more than I paid for it and sell it in a heartbeat based on what I see online in terms of used boat pricing.

Exchange does impact the price for sure ......... so Sam's is exactly right - my 2013 would be worth 75% of new - and based on a $90K price tag - I'm at something like $65K CDN.

Nevertheless - if I sold it - I'd still have to spend more of my money to replace it - so there is no point really.

But yeah - exchange is one big factor and finding a deal is another big factor.
2012-2015 Lund Tyees on Walleye Central and other sites are being advertised for around $31-35,000 USD, so $40-45,000 CDN.

Even at that, if you can run a boat for 2-3 years and break even or make a bit of money on it, that's remarkable.

Like you said though, the problem is, it's not a real savings unless you plan to not buy again. If you have to replace it at the current exchange rate, you're now paying the big $$$$ and you're actually losing on the dollar exchange.

I'd like to think that with the dollar trading where it is now, the swing up or down shouldn't be more than 10% or so at the most for the next few years. That's not a deal breaker either way in my opinion.