Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Exclamation !!Help Stop Poaching!!

Tired of poachers ruining your hunt?? Why ask right, of course! This year to help aid in the prevention of these recurring events phone in to your local wildlife office any events of probable cause. I know I do not want another trophy stolen from me, nor do I care to have that world class buck scared off again because some ignorant fool is driving around in my field that I earned permission for. Do your part and show your hunter pride...In the end the reward comes from the challenge.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman4life View Post
Tired of poachers ruining your hunt?? Why ask right, of course! This year to help aid in the prevention of these recurring events phone in to your local wildlife office any events of probable cause. I know I do not want another trophy stolen from me, nor do I care to have that world class buck scared off again because some ignorant fool is driving around in my field that I earned permission for. Do your part and show your hunter pride...In the end the reward comes from the challenge.
Firstly, you don't own them, secondly...if you earned permission it isn't your field,..your's for hunting, yes.

Finally, driving through a field is not poaching,..it maybe trespassing, but not poaching and while you can report the trespasser, you can't charge them.

I think your heads in the right place (almost)
Old 06-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Finally, driving through a field is not poaching,..it maybe trespassing, but not poaching and while you can report the trespasser, you can't charge them.
You can be charged if the field is posted no trespassing.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Or you can be charge with hunting on occupied land, if that piece of land fits into the category. That charge is far worse than any trespassing charge....
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
you can be charged even if it's not posted
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM

yup getting really tired of hiking in before lite to have some **** head drive by on his quad with riffle in hand.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM

But unless the land owner is willing to lay charges and follow up there is not much else to do.

For the multitude of times were I have observed and reported people shooting off roads on to posted land which I had access to, shooting and leaving game, tresspassing and other nonsense, it usually takes a few hours to even get a ph call back as enforcement officers are stretched so thin in our province.

You can sometimes give a good description of vehicle, # of individuals, and offense commited but hard to get a plate # or a posive ID at 400 yards or in the dark.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Or you can be charge with hunting on occupied land, if that piece of land fits into the category. That charge is far worse than any trespassing charge....
True,but it would have to be proven that the person was actually hunting.That might not be so easy,if the person was simply driving across a field.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
waylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
But unless the land owner is willing to lay charges and follow up there is not much else to do.

For the multitude of times were I have observed and reported people shooting off roads on to posted land which I had access to, shooting and leaving game, tresspassing and other nonsense, it usually takes a few hours to even get a ph call back as enforcement officers are stretched so thin in our province.

You can sometimes give a good description of vehicle, # of individuals, and offense commited but hard to get a plate # or a posive ID at 400 yards or in the dark.
Yup, and unless land-owners step up and start laying down charges, it's gonna get much worse. I'm not sure what else as a hunter that we can do. I've phoned the F&W numerous times to only talk to someone on the other end who has no idea what I'm talking about, and only to receive a call back sometimes as late as 2 days after the fact. I'd suggest taking pictures or video these varmints and show them to the land-owner to see what he/she is doing. As well, as hunters, we should probably stay off the land with our vehicles as well. Once those trespassers or whatever we want to call them, see a set of tracks in a field, they feel it's a free for all.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM

lots of the farmers i know dont mind the neighbors and such driving around their land, and expect the same in return.....pretty hard to come from the city and ask "your farmer" to charge his neighbors.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
Firstly, you don't own them, secondly...if you earned permission it isn't your field,..your's for hunting, yes.

I think your heads in the right place (almost)
Thanks for that non informative statement Arn?Narn. Of course I do not own them, and when I have permission it is my responsibility to treat it as if it were my own field that doesn't mean I think I own it...Treat it with the utmost respect. Driving through a field may not be poaching but we all know the ways of those so called hunters. The best hunting tool for them is power windows. Walk if you got 2 good legs, you drive only if you have to not because you can. I made this post to get positive ideas for preventing poaching, not to get an over inflated opinion. I know my head is in the right place.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Nationwide

Default Positive!!

Quote:
I made this post to get positive ideas for preventing poaching, not to get an over inflated opinion. I know my head is in the right place.
Your head maybe in the right place good for you but sorry to tell you it is a open forum and not everyone will pat you on the back and tell it's going to be ok .
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Don't we all watch for poaching infractions already. Why start a post about it.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-30-2010, 05:14 PM

just an odd op,,,that's all...
Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Gee whiz it's not even fall and we are on this B.S. thread already !!!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman4life View Post
Thanks for that non informative statement Arn?Narn. Of course I do not own them, and when I have permission it is my responsibility to treat it as if it were my own field that doesn't mean I think I own it...Treat it with the utmost respect. Driving through a field may not be poaching but we all know the ways of those so called hunters. The best hunting tool for them is power windows. Walk if you got 2 good legs, you drive only if you have to not because you can. I made this post to get positive ideas for preventing poaching, not to get an over inflated opinion. I know my head is in the right place.

I'll keep that in mind, ...
Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 PM

I apologize for going off the handle like that, im sure everyone can relate to the frustration. Just got flared up more than I should have.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Don't we all watch for poaching infractions already. Why start a post about it.
I think he's just ranting, practicing for Fall.

Grizz
Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

i hunt in a lot of places where im not the only one with permission. last fall my son and i were in a pop-up blind when a truck came cruising along the bushline right past us. my kid was angry, but i explained to him that those men had just as much right to be there as we did. of course i frown on poaching, but not everyones chosen method of hunting is illegal (or unethical)just because it differs from mine.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
yup getting really tired of hiking in before lite to have some **** head drive by on his quad with riffle in hand.
Who would you complain to if it was the land owner riding by doing this!!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned

I am all for stopping poachers but I am heavily against calling the Law.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
so what do you suggest?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Why is that?If you poach,you deserve to have your hunting privileges suspended.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 AM
troller

Quote:
Why is that?If you poach,you deserve to have your hunting privileges suspended.
I don't know SAS but from reading his posts I would guess this would be why

"Libertarianism, on the other hand, is based on the free and untrammeled marketplace. The private ownership of land and capital is the key economic element, with private individual action in all fields of human endeavor emphasized. The apologia that the state is required for the protection of life and property, the construction of roads and highways, and the adjudication of disputes, is dismissed out of hand."

I'm sure he wants something done but just doesn't believe in the current system of Justice. Just my guess.

Tags
challenge, poaching, pride, stop