Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Default "fun fishing day" or "Derby"?

Our Fish & Game Association usually has a "kids fishing derby" at a small fish pond near town. I was looking into organizing it this year and when I inquired about a licence or permit I find out you don't need a permit if it is a "Non-Competative Fishing Event" (fun fishing day) rather than a "Competitive Fishing Event"(Derby).

So I suggested to the club that maybe we should do it that way. But some of them figure we have always had a derby formate and so we should stick to that way.

What do you think?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM

The club let you back in?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Our Fish & Game Association usually has a "kids fishing derby" at a small fish pond near town. I was looking into organizing it this year and when I inquired about a licence or permit I find out you don't need a permit if it is a "Non-Competative Fishing Event" (fun fishing day) rather than a "Competitive Fishing Event"(Derby).

So I suggested to the club that maybe we should do it that way. But some of them figure we have always had a derby formate and so we should stick to that way.

What do you think?
First off .....Good on you for doing this

Does the municipality require you to satisfy their rules for a gathering?
Are you looking to get the particiapants a waiver that are over 16 years old?

I like the non competitve events for kids and have it structured so ALL kids recieve a participation award.

Good Luck
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
First off .....Good on you for doing this

Does the municipality require you to satisfy their rules for a gathering?
Are you looking to get the particiapants a waiver that are over 16 years old?

I like the non competitve events for kids and have it structured so ALL kids recieve a participation award.

Good Luck
There is nothing to do with the municipality, it is Fish and Wildlife that requires permits for "competitive events"

The club had a rule last year, "No kids over 15 years of age"

I figured it was a good idea to give a small "prize" for all participants. And a big "at a boy (girl)" for anyone who catches a fish.

The fish are usually recently stocked "catchable size" and the difference between the biggest and fourth biggest is maybe 1/8th of an inch and depends on how and who measures the fish.

One fellow is saying the "derby" must be C and R and so we have to make a rule NO BAIT.

I think a bit of worm under a bobber is one of the purest form of fishing and it is pretty easy to help a kid cast one out and have them watch for the bobber to wiggle.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
There is nothing to do with the municipality, it is Fish and Wildlife that requires permits for "competitive events"

The club had a rule last year, "No kids over 15 years of age"

I figured it was a good idea to give a small "prize" for all participants. And a big "at a boy (girl)" for anyone who catches a fish.

The fish are usually recently stocked "catchable size" and the difference between the biggest and fourth biggest is maybe 1/8th of an inch and depends on how and who measures the fish.

One fellow is saying the "derby" must be C and R and so we have to make a rule NO BAIT.

I think a bit of worm under a bobber is one of the purest form of fishing and it is pretty easy to help a kid cast one out and have them watch for the bobber to wiggle.

i fully understand your CFE position and yes the CFE is a SRD issue. But in most if not all cases the municipality who services the lake or surrounding area to the lake requires you comply with their requirements of a gathering. Case in point the Boys and Girls club event this year required we comply with the rules of a gathering for the MD of Willow Creek.

just trying to help you with the organizing, it can be a huge under taking

good luck