Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Firstly i think seniors should be exempt from paying for licenses and tags.

I heard in Ontario that 6-8 people share one bull moose tag. This was a few years ago. I don't know what it is today. at that time i think they each paid $470 and got a free picture of Wynne.

Wonder why we don't get a free pic of Notley?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I went and bought my moose tag today. Holy jumpin, a big whooping $47.20. If you say it fast it don't seem to smart as much. I don't think I should pay until I shoot one. No wonder the whiteman is upset with the Indians. I would be to.

I am jealous.

I hope you fill this tag.

As a troll if you need assistance I would be willing to help.
(Trolls are strong)

Personally I am building my points, and am still looking for people who will participate.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Firstly i think seniors should be exempt from paying for licenses and tags.

I heard in Ontario that 6-8 people share one bull moose tag. This was a few years ago. I don't know what it is today. at that time i think they each paid $470 and got a free picture of Wynne.

Wonder why we don't get a free pic of Notley?
Seriously, you'd want one?? Where would you hang it? Or do you just want it for your wallet??
Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 PM

Default Fees

Quote:
Is there anyone else out in the bush using the land and resources for recreation? how do they get billed?
Well, campers pay campsite fees, fishermen pay license fees, off roaders pay for plates ...
Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
It's true I'm sick of all the filthy peasants hunting. One day I hope only a civilized folk can hunt in Alberta

I will never be civilized, but understand this post.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
I am jealous.

I hope you fill this tag.

As a troll if you need assistance I would be willing to help.
(Trolls are strong)

Personally I am building my points, and am still looking for people who will participate.

Good luck.
Thanks for the offer but I'm going to take the guy that would pay $200 for a tag. If he pays half and does all the work I'll be $52.50 a head of the game. I could take you up on my cow elk tag though unless someone else wants to bid higher. Lol.
In all seriousness I've got a partner already picked out and because he's a senior he just has to show up.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Is there anyone else out in the bush using the land and resources for recreation? how do they get billed?
Are they taking fish and game?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the offer but I'm going to take the guy that would pay $200 for a tag. If he pays half and does all the work I'll be $52.50 a head of the game. I could take you up on my cow elk tag though unless someone else wants to bid higher. Lol.
In all seriousness I've got a partner already picked out and because he's a senior he just has to show up.

Good to go.

I was only building my post count.

Have a good hunt and enjoy.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Good to go.

I was only building my post count.

Have a good hunt and enjoy.
You to. Did a lot of scouting today. About a 1/2 hr lol. I didn't see any of my prey but did see where they were standing and walking.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:31 AM
Banned

Since aint done been drawn for six year's ... I'd gladly pay that ... Good luck on the hunt Norwest Alta !!!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
It really isn't that much for getting that much meat
x2 Agreed Still pretty cheap you have to pay to play .
Old 09-08-2016, 05:57 AM

OK here's my take on it, its not the price that bothers me, its that while the price of the tags has done nothing but climb for as long as I've been hunting, the amount of money actually put back into hunting has seemed to dwindle. In my area the number of CO's has been dropped from 4 to 1 and they don't want to pay him to work weekends or holidays... as for all the other stuff they say with the pie chart page in the regs, I just don't see it.

In 10 years both the cost of a tag, and the number of tags purchased has nearly doubled and at the same time services have suffered... where is the money going?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
OK here's my take on it, its not the price that bothers me, its that while the price of the tags has done nothing but climb for as long as I've been hunting, the amount of money actually put back into hunting has seemed to dwindle. In my area the number of CO's has been dropped from 4 to 1 and they don't want to pay him to work weekends or holidays... as for all the other stuff they say with the pie chart page in the regs, I just don't see it.

In 10 years both the cost of a tag, and the number of tags purchased has nearly doubled and at the same time services have suffered... where is the money going?
General Revenue. Your post hits the nail on the head though.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 AM

Ya, My tags this year in total came to $262. I dont even flinch at this cost as to me its 100% worth it. would pay double. I get meat , enjoyment, physical activity and most of all enjoyment. Fun costs.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:13 AM

47$ is to low. That fee allows you to hunt for a minimum of 30 days, not counting preceding archery seasons etc if they exist. That's barely over a dollar a day. Hunting and fishing licences are seriously undervalued.

Would love to see increases but only if cost went back to conservation, management and enforcement and not general revenue.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:30 AM

Anyone that thinks it doesn't cost enough can always donate more. After all the government is doing a great job of managing our money so far.

They could manage a little more yet, I still have money for fuel and ammo.

By the time I pay for fuel, tags, license, equipment, I might as well just buy a beef. I do it because I enjoy it. There is little to be had by savings, unless you can stick the rifle out the kitchen window and shoot the stuff eating the hay.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 AM

The license cost less than half a tank of gas. I would consider it affordable.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
The license cost less than half a tank of gas. I would consider it affordable.
I'm going to burn a heck of a lot more than half a tank of gas. Just getting to one spot for a day of hunting can go through that. And we get to pay fuel tax that comes out to close to half of what the fuel costs.

Sure, it's affordable. It's all affordable. The problem is once I'm done pay for all the affordable stuff, there is nothing left, and the Alberta government is going into deficit for operating costs! Meanwhile a little farther East, PM McSelfie is two fisting our collective pockets over there! If I have to hear about how many millions he is pledging for this country or for that countries corrupt gov. I am going to hurl.

When I was 16, I thought it was reasonable, but now I make 10 times as much, and am thinking "This is getting expensive.". But the price keeps climbing.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Banned

2010 was my last moose tag and it was close to $37. Yes it is expensive but affordable. It is a very expensive hobby which I am fortunate to be able to do from my house where some aren't as fortunate. For the people that have to take holidays and travel a day to where they hunt it is very expensive especially since there is no guarantee that you'll bag anything. For many they could quite easily pay for a pig and beef for what it costs to go hunting for a week or 10 days.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

I agree with this. I would be ok paying more if it went directly to wildlife and conservation. As it stands $47.50 is high. If I had an leh maybe but its a long shot with a bow for that money.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:43 AM

I can still remember paying $5.00 for my moose tag, but then I am getting a little long in the tooth. I still enjoy moose hunt even if I need to pay better part of $50 for a license. I was earning $500 a month then, when I retired it was $10,000/month. Only had to work half the time for license, however pension check does not go very far now.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 AM

I recently wrote to the minister (shannon p) on this issue. Asked the notley crew to hike non res alien fees to avoid alberta resident increases.

They did send a return letter with the usual politico bs but gave no clear answer as to raising non res license fees and reducing alberta res fees.

At least I tried now the question is whether I keep trying or wait for the next election.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Anyone that thinks it doesn't cost enough can always donate more. After all the government is doing a great job of managing our money so far.

They could manage a little more yet, I still have money for fuel and ammo.

By the time I pay for fuel, tags, license, equipment, I might as well just buy a beef. I do it because I enjoy it. There is little to be had by savings, unless you can stick the rifle out the kitchen window and shoot the stuff eating the hay.
X2 good post
Old 09-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I can still remember paying $5.00 for my moose tag, but then I am getting a little long in the tooth. I still enjoy moose hunt even if I need to pay better part of $50 for a license. I was earning $500 a month then, when I retired it was $10,000/month. Only had to work half the time for license, however pension check does not go very far now.
Yup. Slap down 20 bucks. Tell em you want a mulie, whitetail, elk and moose tag and walk out the store and go hunting....
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 PM

To me it's not the price if tags , the hit on beer, the tax on gas, the Gst.
It's how time after time they continue to ____ it all away and come back for more while neglecting the very fabric of this country while doing it.
The price is nothing the cost is huge .
Old 09-08-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I went and bought my moose tag today. Holy jumpin, a big whooping $47.20. If you say it fast it don't seem to smart as much. I don't think I should pay until I shoot one. No wonder the whiteman is upset with the Indians. I would be to.
I just looked at the costs in some of the other provinces. Looks like we're still enjoying the Alberta advantage. Especially in licence costs.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I just looked at the costs in some of the other provinces. Looks like we're still enjoying the Alberta advantage. Especially in licence costs.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
What provinces did you look at?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What provinces did you look at?

Sask, Manitoba and Ont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Then they have a license and can even shoot the moose then. If they have no license they can't spot or call or push bush or assist in anyway.
They absolutely CAN assist with retrieval,don't be rediculous.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think I should pay until I shoot one. No wonder the whiteman is upset with the Indians. I would be to.
Yeah, let's do it all on the honour system. Poaching now legal. "Yeah officer, I shot that moose in the back of my truck. I was going to buy a tag as soon as I got home". LOL

What does the price of a tag have to do with being upset with Indians??? (though of course many need no excuse at all).

I'm not sure of how they arrive at the cost of one tag over the other however. It doesn't cost the province any more to manage and administer the hunting process for moose than it does for deer, does it?