Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
We run Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita. Have approx 15 Makita drills and probably double that in impacts. We have ran them all and they see heavy use. We run mostly Makita as they had the best cold weather performance for a long time. Milwaukee we had alot of issues with triggers and they are now a china company (i believe) owned by the same parent company as rigid? Makita are the most refined and hold up to abuse well, Milwaukee usually have the most power unless vs makita 40v. Dewalt I find seems to run middle ground with it all. All in all I would take the Makita for all day use. Usually the most ergonomically friendly. But like most things personal opinion. Ps Dean we buy 5ah makita batteries for a decent price not any more exspensive than the other 2 brands.

Mine are 14.4 Volt tools. Where are you getting the batteries at a good price please and what is the price being paid. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
KMS tools in Calgary, Makita 3ahr 18v are usually $70-$80When on sale which is quite often.All of mine have come from there.Used daily, no issues.

They have two stores in Edmonton and I will check them out because I sure wasn't finding that price on Makita batteries at Home Depot or anywhere else I could find, including the Battery Warehouse.

1. KMS Tools & Equipment

10406 184 St NW
Edmonton AB T5S 2V8

2. KMS Tools & Equipment

9515 51 Ave NW
Edmonton AB T6E 4W8
Old 04-28-2024, 06:08 AM

My vote is for Milwaukee. What I use and abuse with no issues.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:38 AM

Be aware that the big brands like Milwaukee, Dewalt,
Makita, etc , all have different grades of equipment, so just because it has a certain name on it does not mean it is a "contractor"or "professional grade" tool!
I dound that out 20 years ago when visiting a Dewalt warranty center, looking for a bolt for my sliding compound miter saw .
Cat
Old 04-28-2024, 06:50 AM

I have a Dewalt brushless it came with 2 - 20V Max lithium Ion batteries, you can drive screws all day long, bought it on sale for $179 about 4 years ago when my old cordless drill crapped out.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:13 AM

I have Milwaukee in my work truck and Mikita at home, look for a drill / impact kit I see them on sale often. This is from KMS tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240428-070913_Chrome.jpg (29.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:43 AM

I switched over to Milwaukee a number of years ago. I had a ton of Dewalt tools at that time, but continued to have issues. I’m a span of about 5 years I cooked 3 drills. I haven’t had any issues on the Milwaukee side since the change.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:25 AM

I got my Dewalt 18V, brushless on a CT flyer sale, came with 2 batteries and a charger. Got lots of jam. Working good 3 yrs later.

A friend has a impact driver drill, wow does that thing bury screws into whatever it wants.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:36 AM

I've run all the colours; they all break eventually.
Get the brand with the closest warranty and repair center.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Never heard of a drill not being able to put a screw into a two by four.

I would go with DeWalt myself. Bought mine about 10 years ago and still runs fine, the batteries are still good too. Had a bad experience with Milwaukee twice, they just didn’t hold up.
I will second this, although it was only batteries for me. I switched to dewalt and have never found their upper end lacking and batteries have been way better for me. I mostly run my 1/4” impact.

You really need to consider your other needs and get on one platform. I run dewalt everything now, circular, recip, oscillating saws, drills, leaf blower, hedge trimmer and grass trimmer. All have been good to me and batteries are plentiful
Old 04-28-2024, 08:51 AM

With Dewalt I know you have to check model numbers,the home depo drill driver kit will be slightly different \ cheaper then from say Calgary Fasteners .
Not sure if Milwaukee is the same.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
With Dewalt I know you have to check model numbers,the home depo drill driver kit will be slightly different \ cheaper then from say Calgary Fasteners .
Not sure if Milwaukee is the same.
Milwaukee definitely has different grades of tool, they look different though and the price is different.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:10 AM

I've been using the Canadian Tire brand, 20V for years now. Plenty powerful and batteries are really standing up. I put up fences and a flower box of 6 X 6 pumping in some big lag bolts. No problem
Old 04-28-2024, 10:30 AM

I started with Dewalt 18 volt and switched to Milwaukee Fuel M12 and M18 volt tools a few years ago. Milwaukee has way more tool options and so far hasn’t changed their battery platforms unlike Dewalt. For a homeowner I would suggest looking at the M12 line up. Tools are a nice size.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Mine are 14.4 Volt tools. Where are you getting the batteries at a good price please and what is the price being paid. Thanks.

They have two stores in Edmonton and I will check them out because I sure wasn't finding that price on Makita batteries at Home Depot or anywhere else I could find, including the Battery Warehouse.

1. KMS Tools & Equipment

10406 184 St NW
Edmonton AB T5S 2V8

2. KMS Tools & Equipment

9515 51 Ave NW
Edmonton AB T6E 4W8
Atlas tools and Machinery in Ontario has some good sales at times. As said Kms has decent sales. Also prime fasteners in north edmonton.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 04-28-2024, 11:35 AM

I must be Old School I like my Dewalt 120 Volt. Never had a battery failure and never had to climb back off roof to wait for battery to recharge. They always have more torque than one will ever use.
PS Power company has never charged me outrageous price for replacement battery,So far.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

1. KMS Tools & Equipment

10406 184 St NW
Edmonton AB T5S 2V8

2. KMS Tools & Equipment

9515 51 Ave NW
Edmonton AB T6E 4W8
Probably twice a year they have their sale,best to get on email list for when flyers/sales start.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:14 PM

Milwaukee is decent /Chinese made stuff. Bosch and Makita are my choices even though there are plenty of Pacific rim parts. Dewalt has failed for me more than once so am disillusioned.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I started with Dewalt 18 volt and switched to Milwaukee Fuel M12 and M18 volt tools a few years ago. Milwaukee has way more tool options and so far hasn’t changed their battery platforms unlike Dewalt. For a homeowner I would suggest looking at the M12 line up. Tools are a nice size.
X2
Old 04-29-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post
I need to buy a good cordless drill. One that will put screws through 2 x 4 one that will replace my electric drill. The cordless drills that I have now will nor put screws through 2 x 4 lumber. I bought new batteries 20V but the drills are simply too weak to do the job.
Looking forward to your professional advise.

Here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drill.jpg (64.0 KB, 16 views)

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-29-2024, 08:49 PM

I run dewalt, always have and haven’t found something that’s better enough for me to make the switch. My current set up includes (all 20v) Impact & drill combo, 4.5” angle grinder, sawzall, hand held bandsaw, and hammer drill (like real hammer drill for professional use in concrete, not a drill with hammer feature). These tools are worked professionally in the HVAC trade. Around home I have a second set of impact and drill, jigsaw, 5” RO sander, leaf blower and weed whipper.

For the drill and impact combo, I legit buy the Canadian tire package, goes on sale for about $180 a few times a year. Abused daily impacts last me about 3 years, I’ve never burned out a drill, nor have I ever had a battery fail on me, can’t even count how many I currently have, but it would likely be over 20.

The point of my long winded story, is my screen name should have been ryobi lol
Old 04-29-2024, 09:46 PM

Milwaukee is popular for a couple of reasons;

1. It has a massive advertising budget, every tom,dick and harry on Youtube is/has or will do a review on the brand. For the popular tool review channels most of the time Milwaukee will supply the tool to review at no charge, and a lot of the time the channel gets to keep the tool. Nice incentive to give a positive review of their products.

2. Profit margin for the retailers is pretty high in comparison to other big brands.

3. The color Red certainly stands out!

Milwaukee is no better or worse than the other big colors, they just happen to have a top notch marketing division and sales team.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I must be Old School I like my Dewalt 120 Volt. Never had a battery failure and never had to climb back off roof to wait for battery to recharge. They always have more torque than one will ever use.
PS Power company has never charged me outrageous price for replacement battery,So far.
I used to think like that, but battery operated tools have come a long way since the old days. A pair of batteries will keep you going non stop and that Skil saw is handy where it's tough or not worth hauling a cord to.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-30-2024, 04:17 AM

Ridgid, hands down. Most companies I work with use Milwaukee. I've never been a fan.
Personally, I find Ridgid to have a better feel. They have a lifetime warranty on both the tool AND the battery, as long as you register them within 90 days.
Ridgis is lacking in a lot of the trade specific specialty tools that Milwaukee offers, but unless you need those tools, it's not a huge deal.

I use my Ridgid cordless drill for an ice auger as well. Slap the handle on it and go. The biggest battery I have is a 4 amp. I got 8 holes in 36" ice a couple of years ago.

If you watch for the sales, the have free battery and tool offers. Buy a certain line of tool, get a free battery and charger, or another tool.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
Ridgid, hands down. Most companies I work with use Milwaukee. I've never been a fan.
Personally, I find Ridgid to have a better feel. They have a lifetime warranty on both the tool AND the battery, as long as you register them within 90 days.
Ridgis is lacking in a lot of the trade specific specialty tools that Milwaukee offers, but unless you need those tools, it's not a huge deal.

I use my Ridgid cordless drill for an ice auger as well. Slap the handle on it and go. The biggest battery I have is a 4 amp. I got 8 holes in 36" ice a couple of years ago.

If you watch for the sales, the have free battery and tool offers. Buy a certain line of tool, get a free battery and charger, or another tool.
If you read that warrenty closer it actually says lifetime service agreement. You are right about the 90 days tho....
Old 04-30-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
If you read that warrenty closer it actually says lifetime service agreement. You are right about the 90 days tho....
I know guys that have had 10 year old tools replaced, and given warranty on the replacement tools, because the tools/parts aren't available anymore.
However you look at it, it still tops what anyone else is offering.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Here you go...
Hey, that's the one I use as well!
Old 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
I know guys that have had 10 year old tools replaced, and given warranty on the replacement tools, because the tools/parts aren't available anymore.
However you look at it, it still tops what anyone else is offering.
They got luckier than me then. I dropped a $250 sander in their garbage on the way out because they wouldnt honour it
Old 04-30-2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Never heard of a drill not being able to put a screw into a two by four.

I would go with DeWalt myself. Bought mine about 10 years ago and still runs fine, the batteries are still good too. Had a bad experience with Milwaukee twice, they just didn’t hold up.
Build a deck and put in hundreds of screws with a drill. Then build another deck and put in hundreds of screws with an impact driver. By then you'll know which is vastly superior.
Like somebody else said, drills are for drilling holes. Impact drivers are for screws. You wouldn't use a drill to remove or replace nuts and bolts.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Every once in a while I'll drive a screw with a corded drill, just to remind myself where I came from.
It was a simpler time...
Old 05-08-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Go with a Milwaukee fuel , they are brushless .
X 3....buy once cry once....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.