Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Default Barry Mitchell's Alberta trout highway

Hi there being a new fly fisherman I was advised to pick me up a copy of this book. Sure seems hard to find as its no longer printed. Does anyone have a pretty good copy of this book they would be willing to sell me?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:41 PM

comes out every may i think. wait a little longer
Old 04-02-2018, 06:01 PM

Not this one. It has been done for a few years now. Commands a premium price too. If you find one somebody is willing to part with be prepared to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyup View Post
Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyup View Post
You are thinking 'Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide'
Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Funny Story about this book.
A buddy of mine ended up finding a copy in the book section at Bass Pro Shops. He was just getting into fly fishing, and he came over and showed me. Then asked, "I found this book called "Barry Mitchell's Trout Highway, Is this a good book?" I asked him how much he paid, in which he showed me, it cost $30. I immediately offered him $100. Which he then became suspicious of, and searched online and laughed. He told me he'd sell me the book for $150, and I had to teach him to fly fish.
Long story short, I now own this book. I am currently in the middle of re-reading.
Definitely worth every penny, if you can find a copy. If I ever do find a second copy, I will not be like my buddy.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Banned

I tried to read it.
Couldn't do it. Don't understand all the hype.
To each his own I guess.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:38 AM

I have never read it but you have to realize that the data in that book is now 17+ years old. Any info specific to certain waterbodies is going to be questionable at best due to how much things have changed during this time. Lots of people do speak highly about it though so might be worth a look, just take the info with a grain of salt.

Upon a quick search I found that Calgary central library has a copy for in library use only. Might be your best bet to at least go take a look through it and figure out if it is something actually worth trying to find your own copy of.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:40 AM

Sorry........ it's my precious. Tells me where the raw wriggling fish are.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have never read it but you have to realize that the data in that book is now 17+ years old. Any info specific to certain waterbodies is going to be questionable at best due to how much things have changed during this time. Lots of people do speak highly about it though so might be worth a look, just take the info with a grain of salt.

Upon a quick search I found that Calgary central library has a copy for in library use only. Might be your best bet to at least go take a look through it and figure out if it is something actually worth trying to find your own copy of.
I found it more useful in identifying water bodies to fish. Yes the quality of fishery probably changed since then, for good or bad, but all the same species are still there. Except for maybe the upper pembina. Doesn't seem to be anything left there, and it's closed
Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

I think its more about all the access points that are given int he book, they haven't changed much.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Sorry........ it's my precious. Tells me where the raw wriggling fish are.

Mine too. It's the only book I won't lend out.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I found it more useful in identifying water bodies to fish. Yes the quality of fishery probably changed since then, for good or bad, but all the same species are still there. Except for maybe the upper pembina. Doesn't seem to be anything left there, and it's closed
Alberta fishing guide will give you ideas where to fish, some of its data is out to date/incorrect but at least it gets updated each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
I think its more about all the access points that are given int he book, they haven't changed much.
Other ways to figure this out too, google maps, talking to people, searching on here etc.

Just giving other methods to acquire this information since it isn't practical or possible for everyone to obtain this book.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 PM

The book a Trout Highway is not really a where to go book. It is about fishing along the eastern slopes, some techniques, a lot of trout biology and a whale of a lot of personal experience that is likely never to be replicated. Nearly all of the book is a relevant today as when written.
I was fortunate to travel with Barry during much of exploration for the book. We travelled from the Torrens River SW of Grand Prairie > to the Milk River in the SW over several years. On top of those trips, Barry made a number of trips to other locations to fill in his personal knowledge. These trips only rounded out what he already knew of this province. Unfortunately, a wealth of knowledge lost way to early.

The Alberta Fishing Guide magazine published yearly is a much different critter with articles by a number of fishermen plus the guide lists lakes and streams giving details as to location plus some info on each water body. When Barry published the Guide, he checked with each regional biologist each year with regards to fishing and regulation changes. As well, he visited a lot of the locations each year attempting to keep to date on changes. Whether or not the info is timely today I haven't a clue. Barry hasn't published the Guide for a number of years.

If you can find a copy of the Trout Highway, grab it.

Regards,

Don
Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 PM

'Trout Streams of Alberta' written by Jim McLennan is another very handy informative book written in similar style and published a few years previous to Barry Mitchell's 'Albertas Trout Highway', very worthwhile read if anybody happens to stumble upon it.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:41 PM

"Trout Streams of Alberta" was an amazing book. Lots of info on fish habits and habitat, bug life cycles and how they relate to fish and fishing. Highly recommend for someone looking to explore and getting into fly fishing in Alberta.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
I tried to read it.
Couldn't do it. Don't understand all the hype.
To each his own I guess.
Same. Bought it read part of it and realized it wasn't anything I didn't know and filed it somewhere. Should have paid attention to where I put it I guess.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Same. Bought it read part of it and realized it wasn't anything I didn't know and filed it somewhere. Should have paid attention to where I put it I guess.
Really glad to hear that there are fly fishers in Alberta who know as much or more than Barry Mitchell and can't learn anything at all from him,,,

Trout anglers in particular in Alberta owe Barry a huge debt for his willingness to pass on his considerable knowledge about trout fishing in Alberta and even more importantly his efforts to protect, restore and enhance Alberta cold water fisheries. I sometimes shudder to think what shape our fisheries would be in today without Barry's dedicated strong willed advocacy and action on behalf of our streams and the trout that live in them.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:49 PM

Well said pikebreath, we take the likes of him, don Anderson etc for granted
Old 05-06-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
The book a Trout Highway is not really a where to go book. It is about fishing along the eastern slopes, some techniques, a lot of trout biology and a whale of a lot of personal experience that is likely never to be replicated. Nearly all of the book is a relevant today as when written.
I was fortunate to travel with Barry during much of exploration for the book. We travelled from the Torrens River SW of Grand Prairie > to the Milk River in the SW over several years. On top of those trips, Barry made a number of trips to other locations to fill in his personal knowledge. These trips only rounded out what he already knew of this province. Unfortunately, a wealth of knowledge lost way to early.

The Alberta Fishing Guide magazine published yearly is a much different critter with articles by a number of fishermen plus the guide lists lakes and streams giving details as to location plus some info on each water body. When Barry published the Guide, he checked with each regional biologist each year with regards to fishing and regulation changes. As well, he visited a lot of the locations each year attempting to keep to date on changes. Whether or not the info is timely today I haven't a clue. Barry hasn't published the Guide for a number of years.

If you can find a copy of the Trout Highway, grab it.

Regards,

Don
I've had the trout highway for years and finally read it a week ago. You are right Don, still very relevant. I know I learned a few things for sure especially on tributaries. The other thing is the timing of certain hatches which remains as accurate today. There is an impressive amount of knowledge in those pages.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Default barry mitchells alberta trout highway

Have recently acquired an almost new copy of Barrys book that I'm wiling to sell. I have 3 copys now; one for the book shelf, one for the truck, and the one I'm willing to sell. Expensive. PM if interested.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Really glad to hear that there are fly fishers in Alberta who know as much or more than Barry Mitchell and can't learn anything at all from him,,,

Trout anglers in particular in Alberta owe Barry a huge debt for his willingness to pass on his considerable knowledge about trout fishing in Alberta and even more importantly his efforts to protect, restore and enhance Alberta cold water fisheries. I sometimes shudder to think what shape our fisheries would be in today without Barry's dedicated strong willed advocacy and action on behalf of our streams and the trout that live in them.
Well said
We can always take pity on those that haven't even read it yet offer advice about it...or tried to read it and didn't get it.

I didn't know the man personally but I'll bet there is a ton of related knowledge not written down in those pages. Impressive. And, the other contributions you kindly mention. Cheers!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Give it another go if you ever find it.

Rarely do I ever open it and not come away without learning something new or remembering something long forgotten.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Barry Mitchell alberta Trout Highway

Thanks for the interest Guys...book is sold.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:34 PM

I tend to read it once a year at least.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-12-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:

Well said indeed,I hope I never get so arrogant so as to think that I couldn't learn anything new about fishing or hunting,although I'm sure it must be a state of perpetual bliss when you are a legend in your own mind and think you know everything.😂😝

Personally speaking,I bought Trout Highway my first summer living in Alberta 7 years ago as the book's reputation preceded itself,I'd actually heard tell of it in my native NB,and it was one of my first purchases with my first pay check upon landing here.I have Mr.Mitchell to thank for steering a new Albertan in the right direction and shaving decades off the learning curve and
spending unknown thousands of $$ on gas that it would have required to discover such beautiful places on my own,if ever.FWIW,I was already an avid salmon/trout flyfisher of 30+ years experience back east,glad I wasn't so foolish to think I couldn't learn anything from the likes of BM on his home turf.
I remember being so stoked as a starry eyed new Albertan reading it cover to cover in one sitting that I vowed to fish every drainage and trib in the book eventually,lol......I've actually crossed most of the major drainages off my bucket list so far,or at least wet a line in most all of them from Hinton south to Montana border(?)...probably would have done them all by now if it weren't for stupid work always messing with my fun time over the last few years especially...but hey,a guy can't pay for flyrods,rifles and gas with magic beans.😖
I owe a debt of gratitude to Barry Mitchell,as no doubt thousands of others in this province do....RIP

And NO MY COPY IS NOT FOR SALE,lol
(I still have quite a few streams to cross off the list)

Last edited by West O'5; 05-12-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:42 PM

I have all the above books and here are a few more gems. The Outside Story by Robert Scammell (scavenged from a library discard), Fish and Tell and Go to Hell by McLelland et al. and a real special book The Phenological Fly also by Scammell. My library is decent but not near big enough.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 PM

Just got back into fly fishing after many yrs of non fishing. Forgot i had the Trout Highway book ..just got it back from my son today and will have to read thru it.
Another interesting book i have among many is "Due North of Montana " a guide to fly fishing in Alberta by Chris Dawson.(1996)

Greg
Old 05-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Suspended User

Quote:

Been fishing since 1970, started fly fishing by 1980. Knew Barry from the back roads, but his book doesn't have much in it that wasn't written before. Heck, I couldn't give a dang what you opinion is, I know enough from life to not worry about your opinion.
Found the book in my library, and laughed at your post all over again
Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Default 'Trout Streams of Alberta' written by Jim McLennan

$1.99 at Spruce Grove ``Value Village``. Score!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce_Grover View Post
$1.99 at Spruce Grove ``Value Village``. Score!
Nice find for sure!!!!