Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Superduper9

Default New Bow Hunter

I am looking at getting into bow hunting. I would like some info on what is good to buy, what is a waist of money and where to buy. I am looking at spending roughtly $1000.00 on a set up. I live in Spruce Grove and I heard that the Archery Shop where the shooting lanes are located is pretty good to deal at. Any opinions?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:39 AM
hornhunter

dan at trophy book archery in spruce grove is very good to deal with but some of his stuff is way overpriced, he has a good selection of new and used on consignment
Old 02-07-2007, 09:53 AM
bigbore

CALGARY ARCHERY CENTRE !!!! Those guys are incredible

worth the drive, i'll never make the same mistake twice.
(cough, cough, sh, hack, pk, weeez, cough, cough)
Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Chung

Sherwood park archerly lanes were good to me for traditional equipment.
They have more Compund stuff.

That was a few years ago.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
sheep hunter

You might want to check out the new Bow Tech Center Pivot....I shot it a few weeks ago and it is one sweet shooting bow. I was blown away how smooth and vibration free it was.

It really is a new look at building compound bows.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Blades

Make sure you take the bow hunters course for more info and practical knowledge.....phone the AHEIA office at 466-6682 in edmonton......they can give you course dates.

Todd
Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Rackmastr

Calgary Archery Centre.....well worth the drive to talk with guys who are interested in selling you what will work for you, what fits you right, etc and in your price range.

They have easily the best selection of bows and accessories, and the best guys behind the counter. Well worth the 3 hour drive for a day.....you'll learn a lot about your selection and find the bow that works for YOU.....
Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 PM
lilsundance

sheep, where did you check it out at and at what cost?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
sheep hunter

I was at a media shooting day in Orlando....noy sure about the cost.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Rackmastr

Sheep Hunter,
Are you talking about the Bowtech Guardian? Very nice bow....different technology but sounds like a lot of guys are enjoying them down in the US...I'd like to shoot one to test it out...
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 AM
sheep hunter

That's the one Trev...pretty cool stuff.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
flyfisher120

Well first I have to say welcome to Bow hunting . It is totally different from Genral hunting at least for me . Their isn't alot of hunters walking around and the animals are pretty easy to pattern . When I first started bow hunting I went cheap really cheap $400.00 for every thing my P.S.E. I bought at whole sale sports in calgary . They sold me a bow, The draw lenght was a inch to long...I didn't know any better.I just didnt want to spend alot of money unless it was for me. I shot my bow every day at Calgary archery , The guys their are great .Thats were I found out my draw length was to long..I was a little upset... My first year I shot a whitetail doe at 16 yards from the ground ,double lunged went 30 feet and dropped . I was pumped....My next bow I bought was at Calgary Archery , Al set me up with a mathews solo cam , Personally thats all I well ever shot.......
Old 02-09-2007, 12:40 AM
lilsundance

thanks for the info sheephunter.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
HIBACKPACKER

:hat
Welcome to the art of bow hunting.
I use to teach archery, the Calgary Archery centre is one of the largest bow outlet there is. Big Al and Lorna will treat you like family and will not will sell you anything that is not required. For your $1000 dollars you will be able to set your self up quite nicely. I would stick with the PSE line their equipment is top notch and well priced. The warranty is also great with a life time against any malfunctions. You can't beat the unconditional warranty. That's the best part of any equipement you purchase. Mattew's also has a great line of equipment but does not have that same life time warranty. Arrows there are all kind of great manufactures out there, the one that I like is the Carbon Express. An all carbon arrow is the way to go. Gold key rests and Cobra releases are tryed and true. But before you take my advise try out a few bow set ups if the dealer that you choose will not let you try it before you buy it then shop else where. PM if you want some help selecting your equipment.
Happy Hunting
Old 02-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Elnino54

Check out Jim-Bows NE Calgary if your looking for a Bow Tech........they're great Bows, and Jim knows his stuff.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Sakoman

I will second Jim Bows also. The Guardian is really neet and really smooth. If you like the Bowtech have a look at a Tribute. You will at least find them in stock as the new Guardians are not on the shelf yet.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:56 AM
Tree Guy

I'm a nubie too. Got my first bow this year at Russel's in Calgary. The salesman spent well over an hour with me, and setting the bow for me. I bought a Browning Rage. I drew about 50 different bows that day, and that was the one that seemed to fit me the best. I tried some of the more expensive bows, but I personally did not lik the feel. The Rage seems to combine compound with recurve in the sense of 'smoothness'. The let-off is not as dramatic as others. What I also personally recommend for a fellow beginner is the use of a 'wisker biscuit' as a rest. I know I may get criticizied for using it, but it allowed me to take my first archery deer this year. It's just not as 'silent' as the rest.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:27 AM
littlered

I second the second for Jim Bows. IMO his service is better than other stores in Calgary, and he will not try to sell you stuff you don't need. When are the new guardians going to be available on the shelf?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:12 PM
HIBACKPACKER

You must have delt with big Glen at Russel's.
He knows his stuff and won't steer you wrong. Never had anything to do with Jim Bow's. I guess when you find people that get it done for you and back their product the way Calgary Archery Centre does why change.
Happy Hunting