Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Default Coal Lake

hey does anyone know The direction from beaumont to go to the south shore of Coal lake I think theres a camp ground there but not 100% sure , any info would be good , Ive only been to the north shore . Wanting to go slay some Pike. Anyway thanks to all who reply .
Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 PM

www.google.ca

upper left on the page click on maps, type in coal lake and it will show you all the roads you need.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:59 PM

straight down 50th st untill you hit 616 the road AFTER the rollie view rd. should be some big tall grain sillos on the right if they haven't fallen over yet.hand a left about 2-3 miles theres a boat launch on one side of the road and a old camp area they shut down on the other. i think you can still camp there just no bathrooms firepits ect....

sorry john should have read better this is for the north launch

Last edited by redneck posse; 05-19-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: last line
Old 05-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Its ok REdneck posse, no worrys . I love fishin at Coal , fished there a few times during the winter , and fished there last fall a few times made for good fishing , then a firend told me if I was to try early season right after ice melt , the Pike action along the shore line is very good . So I think im going to check it out tommorow for a few hours maybe for the afternoon havent desided might go during the day will have to see . Im stuck fishing the shoreline until I can get ither a new motor or figure out whats wrong with mine . The thing keeps flooding even when running , I ran the choke for a few pulls and then nothing so Im not wondering if its foobared or what , but ill have to fill my 50 gal drum up with water agian and see if I cant get it going , had it running last fall as I went to add fresh gas for over the winter and now its not starting .Oh well fishing from shore isnt so bad.Or I guess I could just row out there put the anchor down and have at er. Anyway thanks for your reply Redneck posse
Old 05-18-2008, 03:48 PM

only fished there once really weedy. caught one small pike. never ice fished it.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Its good for ice fishing if you like pike fishing , defenetly a great time set out a tip up or 3 and do a little vertical jigging and wham FISH ON , perch fishing is good there also , in winter only , never caught a single perch during the summer but the winter is good. Anyway Im going to get stuff ready my pike / musky crank baits and spoons , and I like bait hooks with those 4 inch smelt or anchovie works well too and they hit it like a ton of bricks.cast out 30 or 40 yards , If your good enough a 50 yarder , and put a bobber and the hooks with the anchovie and let it sit there give it a bit and whamo youll have fish no problem. Looking forward to going maybe monday if not mid week .
Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 PM

0K folks anyone care to join us tommrow at Coal lake going to meet about 1030 ish give or take . Redneck posse myself , Mr newf and a few other feel free to show up and meet some other guys should be fun. I wont be doing one of my well known shore lunch. So bring your sandwiches and sun tan lotion.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM

How was fishin at Coal today?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM

a little slow bigbadjohn landed 3-4 small ones and missed a couple. i landed 2-3 small ones and a nice fat one. lost two fish due to the cheap line i was useing, thanks again john for the new line. beautifull day all around, not bad fishing, good guy to fish with, beats working.i left at 5:30 and bbj was getting ready for round 2 so he may still be out there.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Default this week

Anyone going this week, and when?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM

I cant until the weekend unless someone wants to come watch my dog , or more like her watch you , but im not taking her out in public. Anyway i just got home another long as5 day on the lake , Once redneck posse left actually as he was leaving the parking lot I hook up on a monster the other guys I got fishing with , had a tape measured 38 inches long and 21 1/2 gerth , she was a mamoth . tossed her back to make more of those monsters , and thats not even that big of a monster for Coal as ive been told . Also the Conservation officer stopped by a friendly hello didnt even ask for licenses , or to check hooks , I think he realised my park bench and wicked sun tan lines were enough for him to un warent a license inspection he asked a large group to far east of us , but not us I was kinda shocked wasnt worried though im always legal . So to heck with jigs for fishing for pike im sticking to the Spoon , ive never used a spoon for pike before , always use jig or bait hooks. Anyway we had a heck of a good day my final numbers were about 30 fish after 6:00 the fishing picked up every 2nd cast lots were small bug had a few 8-10 lbers and a few 5's to .
Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 AM

Default thanx for the tips

i was looking at some info about coal lake and discovered your forum. It was very int. and I enjoyed learning about what kind of a fishing hole I am going to. I hope to visit this Saturday. Maybe my family and I shall see you there too!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 AM

I think i might head out to Coal today.... all depends on the weather.
Anyone else getting out.... I might head out after 11am.... will have to see.
Might head west and try the trout lakes.... had a great day on Hasse and Chickakoo today and yesterday.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:55 PM

I should have checked the forums earlier, I would have met up with you. I chickened out but could have easily been persuaded to go. I was leaning towards Coal but would have gone anywhere!
Did you make it out?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM

Any going fishin on the 15 th this month if so where and when ???
Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Nope never made it out to coal..... headed west instead went Trout fishing at Chickakoo and Hasse. Lots of little guys and a few 18+ from hasse.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:24 AM

Going to coal lake sunday morn any one going ?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM

hey bbj! nice to see folks are still catching them sharks at coal! i live just down the road and everything you have wrote about the fishing there rings true.
this lake sees very little pressure considering how close it is to edmonton and there have been some true lunkers pulled out of there over the years.
i'm curious, have you had any reports of how the perch fishing is? for a few years there in the late 80's i was sure the provincal record would come out of coal, but i guess the "water wolves" have thinned them out.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 AM

Heading out to Coal in the Morning...going to try my luck at catching a few perch and for sure latch on to some nice pike.

Will post some pics....of the lake at least.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 AM

Got a nasty sunburn......didn't fish much most of them were hammer handles the ones i did catch. Still a great day to be out in my buddy's boat.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 AM

How far south did you guys go how deep of water or did you just fish our useual area. The weeds are stsarting to form quite alot. looks like pigeon here I come.Thats the craps about coal all the weeds into the suymmer and this is nothing wait 6 weeks and you will have a tuff time launching your boat. My buddy was there on the weekend and they caught 2 carp . wondered if they havent started intrudceing carp to eat some of the weeds.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
How far south did you guys go how deep of water or did you just fish our useual area. The weeds are stsarting to form quite alot. looks like pigeon here I come.Thats the craps about coal all the weeds into the suymmer and this is nothing wait 6 weeks and you will have a tuff time launching your boat. My buddy was there on the weekend and they caught 2 carp . wondered if they havent started intrudceing carp to eat some of the weeds.
If so, they will need 100 million of them to even make a dent come August!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyup View Post
If so, they will need 100 million of them to even make a dent come August!
isnt that the truth