Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Default Sucker fish

I keep all the white sucker fish I catch ( so far caught two) . I know people throw them back since they are bottom feeders and all. ( the same time they eat other bottom feeder fishs) Do you keep them or throw them back? Because they look ugly or there is a health concern I should be aware? I can not find anything about health concern on the net.

http://www.sfishinc.com/fisht3.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_sucker

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM

They are mushy, oily and gross. I always keep them too but because they ruin the lake and through them out. But they taste horrible and IMO are the scum of the lake. Would you eat the algae in the lake too?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 PM

People eat Tilapia all the time, those things follow close behind hippos eating dung and then they turn around and eat their own. Worked in the lethbridge aquaculture building and we would clean the tank from young fish and trough it in the brood tanks and they would have it cleaned up in seconds. Can't see why a sucker from a deep cold lake that has been eating fish eggs, small fish and crustaceans would taste that bad if prepared right.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 PM

Default Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
People eat Tilapia all the time, those things follow close behind hippos eating dung and then they turn around and eat their own. Worked in the lethbridge aquaculture building and we would clean the tank from young fish and trough it in the brood tanks and they would have it cleaned up in seconds. Can't see why a sucker from a deep cold lake that has been eating fish eggs, small fish and crustaceans would taste that bad if prepared right.
Any Tilapia that come from California fish farms are raised in the clean out canals from the Striped Bass (or probably other fish as well) tanks/ponds. All the crap from the other fish is recycled to the Tilapia, and they are harvested from the canal. Very efficient system - I gather the Tilapia is just a very efficient scavenger in terms of more efficient digestion of what the other fish leave behind (?). Not a Tilapia fan at all, but I imagine the average sucker has a much less "disgusting" diet.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
Any Tilapia that come from California fish farms are raised in the clean out canals from the Striped Bass (or probably other fish as well) tanks/ponds. All the crap from the other fish is recycled to the Tilapia, and they are harvested from the canal. Very efficient system - I gather the Tilapia is just a very efficient scavenger in terms of more efficient digestion of what the other fish leave behind (?). Not a Tilapia fan at all, but I imagine the average sucker has a much less "disgusting" diet.
I'd say a sucker is better than a tilapia any day. But I've only eaten the latter.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
They are mushy, oily and gross. I always keep them too but because they ruin the lake and through them out. But they taste horrible and IMO are the scum of the lake. Would you eat the algae in the lake too?
Would you eat flies or larva? How about smelts or minnows?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Smelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
Would you eat flies or larva? How about smelts or minnows?
Smelts are the sign of spring in the east,delicious fried in butter.No limit we used 6' square nets and caught them by the bushel basket full.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
Smelts are the sign of spring in the east,delicious fried in butter.No limit we used 6' square nets and caught them by the bushel basket full.
Yup we'd catch bucket loads out of Niagara river in the 70's clean em roll em in flour fry and bunch of vinegar, mmmmm.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
but because they ruin the lake and through them out.
Where did you get this info from?

Other than in a few cases where the fish in question are invasive species, "suckers" are an important part of the ecosystem of the lake and killing them for no reason is pretty ridiculous...

I don't want to eat them either, but throw them back.

Waxy
Old 05-28-2009, 04:02 PM

I wonder if they would be decent smoked or dried.. anybody ever try?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
river_runner

Talking To Each There Own

Just make a fish soup slice and dice a few things and few spices YUMMM
Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

I just puked a little in my mouth just from reading this. Whoever eats suckers must not catch much of actual game fish However I must say i've heard from good sources the red finned sucker or red tailed sucker or whatever its called are good eating. Meh, i'd never try it
Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I keep all the white sucker fish I catch ( so far caught two) . I know people throw them back since they are bottom feeders and all. ( the same time they eat other bottom feeder fishs) Do you keep them or throw them back? Because they look ugly or there is a health concern I should be aware? I can not find anything about health concern on the net.

http://www.sfishinc.com/fisht3.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_sucker

Thank you in advance.
This is kinda to some of the replies also.

I have never eaten sucker so I can not personally comment on the taste. I know I can't stand goldeye and northern pike minnow though...

Anyways...depending one where you fish, suckers are an important part of the ecosystem and are a necessary part of it. In a pike and walleye lake, suckers feed many, many juvenile predators and in fact nature designed the spawning times for suckers to benefit the likes of pike and walleye. In a stocked trout lake they are not so good. In a normal river the suckers often feed the predators.

I worked with some poor biologist/technicians that killed every sucker and whitefish they saw when working. Short sighted to say the least.

Now whitefish are becoming seen as important for the health of the rivers include bull trout, brown trout, cutthroats and rainbows.

I had a buddy once who almost dry fly fished primarily for suckers in the river. He said they tasted fine from the clear mountain streams. I find trout caught in pot holes lakes often taste muddy or sulphury and I tend to not eat them either.

To each there own but I would strongly suggest think before you indiscriminately kill suckers just cause of what they look like.

I would love to see F&W include in their regulations and inforce protection for indiscriminate killing of suckers. There should at least be a reasonably low limit set.

Once people thought all sharks should be killed. Now whole ecosystems and fisheries are at risk because of the needless slaughter.

Sun
Old 07-11-2015, 11:19 AM

Default Eating Sucker

I lived with a guy from Northern SK (Buffalo Narrows - Way North). One time he brought back some smoked/scored fish that he fried - some of the best fish I'd had. I asked what kind it was & almost fell off my chair when he said it was sucker. These were from northern cold water - other southern fish may not be as good?

The Northern Pike, Walleye, Burbot & other sportfish we all love to catch get large from eating 1lb, 2lb sucker fish - they are a native, natural, & healthy part of the lake ecosystem.

As for bones you can score them in a checkered pattern & when fry them you don't really notice the bones. I rarely catch suckers, but I've always wanted to try canning them as this takes care of the fine bones & many people say the canned meat is delicious.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Long nose suckers tastes the best from all suckers, redhorses pretty good and white suckers are the worst. So if you want to try one go for long nose sucker.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:30 AM

If you ever see mullet on the menu or in the fish stick store... it's another name for white sucker.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-19-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
If you ever see mullet on the menu or in the fish stick store... it's another name for white sucker.
Yes, but it's also the name for a ton of marine species as well.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:25 AM

Welcome to the forum. It's always a newbie when a 6 year old thread resurfaces.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:39 PM

I have been eating sucker my entire life. I make what I call sucker salmon. It's basically like the stuff u buy in a can.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 07-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Gone Hunting

I wish I knew how to catch suckers. I know there has to be thousands of them within ten miles of my place, but I've never fished for them.

I think I've caught two in my life, while fishing for other species.
Dad used to catch hundreds with a net.
Mom canned them using a pressure cooker to soften the bones. Or she would fry them then grind them and make fish patties, kinda like a small thick pancake. We couldn't get enough of either. They were delicious !

Dad would always take some of the days catch and pickle them in a salt brine and then smoke cure then till they were the consistency of leather.
Those didn't last either. We'd sneak them for trail snacks. It took all day chewing to consume one but we like them better then candy.

I need to ask mom what spices she used. I think some of my sisters know the recipes too so I'm not in a rush. I need to find out how to catch them first. Nets are illegal in the rivers around here.

I have a boat and the time, if anyone in this area wants a fishing trip and knows how to catch Suckers or Perch, give me a shout, we'll do a trip or two.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I wish I knew how to catch suckers. I know there has to be thousands of them within ten miles of my place, but I've never fished for them.
I always seem to catch the most suckers using a pickeral rig with worms. Move the hooks lower on the rig so they are closer to the bottom. Alot of times they will be sucking on your worms and it helps to give a little set to the hook.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-22-2016, 08:28 AM

We called the spring sucker run "The Ukranian Trout Festival". LOL, That was way back in the 70's and 80's.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:51 AM

Ive caught suckers while trolling for walleye with spinner and minnow. We used to net and spear them by hundreds when I was a kid in Ontario and manitoba. They are delicious smoked or canned.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
We called the spring sucker run "The Ukranian Trout Festival". LOL, That was way back in the 70's and 80's.
That is hilarious....holly smokes. Thanks for the chuckle!!!!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1797 View Post
I have been eating sucker my entire life. I make what I call sucker salmon. It's basically like the stuff u buy in a can.
Lots of people still do this. When I lived in Manitoba, people would dip net them in the spring when they would swim up the river's to spawn. They would haul them home by the 1/2 ton load, or 5 gallon pail full, I even saw them by the trunk load. The rivers would be so full, all you would see were fins sticking out when looking across. We would go down to the popular fishing spots and watch the people. Lots were being caught by hand. Was entertainment for us on a sunday afternoon. They are a very boney fish so mostly they are canned as it softens the bones, some people add a bit of tomato juice to give it a reddish colour.
I was told by a CO that they eat a lot of fish eggs.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 AM

Default Suckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Lots of people still do this. When I lived in Manitoba, people would dip net them in the spring when they would swim up the river's to spawn. They would haul them home by the 1/2 ton load, or 5 gallon pail full, I even saw them by the trunk load. The rivers would be so full, all you would see were fins sticking out when looking across. We would go down to the popular fishing spots and watch the people. Lots were being caught by hand. Was entertainment for us on a sunday afternoon. They are a very boney fish so mostly they are canned as it softens the bones, some people add a bit of tomato juice to give it a reddish colour.
I was told by a CO that they eat a lot of fish eggs.
In NW Ont we would get into the creeks as early as the lake ice would let us, usually 1st or 2nd week of May. Suckers spawn after the walleye and get into the creeks and eat the walleye eggs. We would chase the suckers down the creek to a pool with a net or chicken wire stretched across and throw as many onto the bank as possible. This was in the late 60's and early 70's,to try and save as many walleye eggs as possible and get ready for the spring bear hunt, 2-300 lbs of suckers attracts a few bears. Nothing like standing in waist deep water in early may throwing 2 to 8lb suckers on to the bank, either with a dip net or bare hands Dad grew up in MB and said canned suckers were known as Manitoba Salmon Best part was boating into the shallow water where the creeks entered and seeing 30 to 40 lb pike waiting for the suckers to leave the creek. Still miss that area.