Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Question

Maybe a dumb question but it has come up on several outings with different people.
When we go out fishing to a lake and one group catches nothing and another group in another spot on the lake catches all day long how do you use those numbers as showing how the lake may be doing.

Spin that another way as I have seen the netting crews and talked to a few of them too but always forget to ask. How do they decide where to do the netting in a big lake. The same as above would concern me as they could net in places and get nothing and miss the areas that the fish are holding and doing well. The opposite could potentally occur too. Just wondering how they know where all these fish are supposed to be hiding out?
I also know they have done shore surveys but I have seen days where we caught fish all day and most nothing according to the guy doing the survey so who's information gets the most attention? The one that says the lake is doing great or the guys that say there is no fish left in the lake?

Just curious.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Maybe a dumb question but it has come up on several outings with different people.
When we go out fishing to a lake and one group catches nothing and another group in another spot on the lake catches all day long how do you use those numbers as showing how the lake may be doing.

Spin that another way as I have seen the netting crews and talked to a few of them too but always forget to ask. How do they decide where to do the netting in a big lake. The same as above would concern me as they could net in places and get nothing and miss the areas that the fish are holding and doing well. The opposite could potentally occur too. Just wondering how they know where all these fish are supposed to be hiding out?
I also know they have done shore surveys but I have seen days where we caught fish all day and most nothing according to the guy doing the survey so who's information gets the most attention? The one that says the lake is doing great or the guys that say there is no fish left in the lake?

Just curious.
Secrets of the universe I guess...LOL

Totally see what you are saying though Ken....
Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Just curious.
very good point.
one time by milo a fews years back they were out in a boat & caught very little
we caught about 40 off the dam (wallys)
goes to show ya.

orv.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Default Not well

I bet they reported the lake was in bad shape. A few of the netting reports I have come across at places I have fished I am amazed at how few it says they caught at lakes we have had great days in the boat.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory1 View Post
My understanding of the bow is that "the majority of anglers want it to be a c&r trophy fishery"

My thoughts are removing retention from one fishery is just going to place the pressure somewhere else. My first thought is that we need a quota based system, where with your liscence you get x number fish for each species.
i do agree and just thought that the retention part of the bow was fairly reasonable compared to before, i guess that's in my mind. like being allowed 1 trout under 35cm and i think its 3 whitefish over 30cm. i would rather see another reduction in the retention then a total reduction. the bow is the only place that i like is close to home where i can go fish for rocky mountain whitefish. i know they are else where in other river systems but i have not targeted them in other rivers before.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Just curious.
Answers:
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...g/default.aspx
Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
When we go out fishing to a lake and one group catches nothing and another group in another spot on the lake catches all day long how do you use those numbers as showing how the lake may be doing They take an average and then do their own test angling to set a correcting fudge factor. This corrects for the guys that always say they caught a couple less or a couple more. They know fishermen have a tendency to lie a little. .

Spin that another way as I have seen the netting crews and talked to a few of them too but always forget to ask. How do they decide where to do the netting in a big lake. This is done by random draw. They mark a map of the lake in sections and then random draw the area's that will be netted. They put out certain numbers of nets in both shallow and deep areas given the size and depth profile of a lake. The same as above would concern me as they could net in places and get nothing and miss the areas that the fish are holding and doing well. The opposite could potentally occur too. Just wondering how they know where all these fish are supposed to be hiding out?
I also know they have done shore surveys but I have seen days where we caught fish all day and most nothing according to the guy doing the survey so who's information gets the most attention? The one that says the lake is doing great or the guys that say there is no fish left in the lake? Again they take an average and then do their own test angling to set a correcting fudge factor. This corrects for the guys that always say they caught a couple less or a couple more. They know fishermen have a tendency to lie a little. .

Just curious.
Hoped that help

Last edited by cube; 02-20-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
On a 20 mile long lake do you you think that would even make a dent in the population ? People fishing that little piece of shoreline don't make a difference ! There are other factors that some people just won't admit too ! Maybe when the amount of fish taken by nets is made public you will change your mind !!

Totally agree. Commercial fishing has killed alot of lakes. One just has to go back to see some of the limits commercial fishers were allowed to take. 900kg from Keho and Traverse in 2013 and you can only imagine what affect this has over the years.