Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM

Default Mysterious Unclaimed Crown Land/Grazing Lease

Since I've moved to east central alberta I've been trying to figure out a nonevasive way to access local crown land locales. Running my county map, SRD map, google earth, and microsoft streets and trips I've found certain sections that are clearly fenced areas and the county map states it is crown land, but the SRD map doesnt show or list any grazing, sanctuary, protected lands there. So my question is can I access it without contacting anyone since there isnt anyone to contact. Found another access road to some crown land surrounding a local lake but there is a large chain link gate blocking the road with a sign stating its a private property and that there is no tresspassing. So is someone just squatting and claimed this land as their own? Do i need to talk to the people who put the sign up to ass for permission to land they dont apparently own?

I miss being up north in Peace River simply for the reason of the 1/2 hour drive to like a million acres of freerange crown land

Last edited by lilsundance; 09-03-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 PM

Check out this website. You will be able to find who's in charge of the land and there should be contact information.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/using...land/maps.aspx
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 PM

double tap

Last edited by LongDraw; 09-02-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Get the MD or County maps they show ownership but sometimes not Grazing leases. Fences are a tell tale sign. Too many of those nowadays.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Directly from the website;

The Department will place this information on a public website at http://xnet.env.gov.ab.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=rec_access (Bookmark this site). Before going onto the land, the recreational user must get in touch with the person leaseholders have named as the contact person for the grazing or farm development lease. If this information is not provided, the recreational user can come on the land without contacting the leaseholder.

Obviously you must ensure you are on the lease with no contact info as listed on the website. You can reference it with GPS coordinates to be certain.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 PM

Good tip there Longdraw. Learn something everyday.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 AM

Better call the county or MD, and confirm who has the disposition on the property too.

Land changes hands faster than maps can be printed, and also who says the County map is'nt in error.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:07 AM

don't forget that the rules aren't the same in special areas, they just agreed to co-operate.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Banned

What russ said. If you are in special areas no one is bound by the recreational access rules there. That is why those lands don't show up on the access map.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:03 AM

Does that link work for you guys for the lease land map?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Ok....OP states I have the COUNTY map, I've gone over the SRD map. but these lands 1 through 8-27-56-8 are classified as crown land on the COUNTY map and yet is NOT listed as a grazing reserve, or any type of special land on the SRD map. The county map i have was updated sept 08 and i assume the SRD map is updated fairly regularly, So i guess to be safe i should phone SRD?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

I don't understand your legal land description, but is it possible that these lands are located in Special Areas? If so, the grazing and cultivation leases that show up on the Special Areas County map are not shown on the provincial access map because they were somehow given immunity from being required to participate in this program.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
I don't understand your legal land description, but is it possible that these lands are located in Special Areas? If so, the grazing and cultivation leases that show up on the Special Areas County map are not shown on the provincial access map because they were somehow given immunity from being required to participate in this program.
Is this noted anywhere on the website that has the info for accessing public lands? I sure could not find it...
Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Is this noted anywhere on the website that has the info for accessing public lands? I sure could not find it...
Check with SRD, you may be surprised with the answer. I know this was discussed at a public meeting at one point also. Suffice to say, SA's lease holders aren't held to the same set of rules. Co-operative? Possibly, bound by law; no.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

Default leased

Sounds like its a half section (S 1/2 of section 27 TWP56 Rge8) that is being leased to someone. Like Dick said just phone the county with the legal and they should be able to tell you who is leasing it. Good luck
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=MrSmith;381682]Since I've moved to east central alberta I've been trying to figure out a nonevasive way to access local crown land locales. Running my county map, SRD map, google earth, and microsoft streets and trips I've found certain sections that are clearly fenced areas and the county map states it is crown land, but the SRD map doesnt show or list any grazing, sanctuary, protected lands there. So my question is can I access it without contacting anyone since there isnt anyone to contact. Found another access road to some crown land surrounding a local lake but there is a large chain link gate blocking the road with a sign stating its a private property and that there is no tresspassing. So is someone just squatting and claimed this land as their own? Do i need to talk to the people who put the sign up to ass for permission to land they dont apparently own?
QUOTE]

it could be a natural area, these lands do not show up on the grazing map. also could be county land or an ecological reserve which is not huntable. you need to check the county map regarding the road. if it is shown as a right of way and has not been closed by the county, you should be able to use it to access the crown land. anyone can put a sign up, doesnt necessarily mean it is there legally and could be referring to the adjacent land, not the road.

case in point, a landowner developed a county right of way that was previously bush but provided accesss to a natural area and the river. the landowner was able to prevent vehicle access to the developed road allowance but is not allowed to prevent foot access along the road allowance. contray to the county he placed no tresspassing signs and a gate to try and prevent all access to the road allowance,the river and the natural area. in other similar cases land owners have been required to relocate their gate and signage to their immediate property line and not obstruct the lawful access to a county right of way. motive, landowner is a hunter and hunts the adjacent crown land.