Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Default OHV fine line

This year I was skunked on my draw, so I am now going to do some general tag hunting. The zone I am going to do my hunting in has a OHV restriction so I am considering using a bicycle to get around. What I am considering doing is putting a electric motor on the bicycle so that in the afternoon I can use the electric motor to assist me in getting around. I have no intention of using the electric motor in the morning, but I can only guess that a CO might see this as a very fine line. I don't want to break the law or stand to face any charges, does anyone see why this is wrong?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Why waste your money on an electric motor? They're heavy and don't work very well on pedal bikes. I'd just use leg power.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Since the bicycle has a motor,it is a motorized vehicle whether or not you choose to use the motor.Whether or not a motorized bicycle is considered an OHV is another matter.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Hilton View Post
This year I was skunked on my draw, so I am now going to do some general tag hunting. The zone I am going to do my hunting in has a OHV restriction so I am considering using a bicycle to get around. What I am considering doing is putting a electric motor on the bicycle so that in the afternoon I can use the electric motor to assist me in getting around. I have no intention of using the electric motor in the morning, but I can only guess that a CO might see this as a very fine line. I don't want to break the law or stand to face any charges, does anyone see why this is wrong?

you are breaking a law......A LAW OF MANLINESS.

you are NOT allowed to go HUNTING on a homemade MOPED.

and if you do....you need to wear a fake moustache and get lots of pictures.

ps; dont forget your helmet.....pppfffbbtt!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM

You need to stay in the law! Go get yourself a street legal moterbike.
Get your self a moterbike lience and get it registered and insured for the street.Around 200 cc Now you can hunt in the morning up and down trails and cutlines all day.Rear tire chains make them unstopable Trust me !
Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 PM

From the Alberta hunting Gude:

Quote:
Hunting with Motorized Vehicles
It is unlawful to

* discharge a weapon at antelope from within 46 m (50 yards) of a vehicle;
* use motorized travel within Willmore Wilderness Park; and
* carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply when the operator is on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers.
Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
The key words seem to be "vehicles designed for highway travel ".
Of course the restrictions only apply on public land,not on private land.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Gone Hunting

From the Guide to hunting Regulations:

From DEFINITIONS:

OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) - any motorized vehicle designed for cross-country travel on land, water, snow, ice, marsh or swamp land, or on other natural terrain.
[Exceptions: motor boats, as well as four-wheel-drive vehicles and motorcycles registered in accordance with the Traffic Safety Act.] Among OHVs, include the following kinds of vehicles when they are designed for cross-country travel as described above:

•four-wheel drive or low pressure tire vehicles,
motorcycles and related two-wheel vehicles,
•amphibious machines,
•all-terrain vehicles,
•miniature motor vehicles,
•snow vehicles,
•minibikes, or
any other means of transportation that is propelled by any power other than muscular power or wind.

A "street bike" is designed for street travel and NOT "cross-country travel"

A "street/trail bike" IS designed for "cross-country travel"

I would say that JR's bike IS designed for "cross-country travel" and would then be considered an OHV.

NOT TO BE USED IN THE A.M. in some WMUs

A bike with an electric motor has an option for "non-muscular power"

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 08-25-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
A bike with an electric motor has an option for "non-muscular power"
But if you were seen with one in a restricted area,you would be subject to the same scrutiny as a person having lead shotshells on his person while hunting waterfowl.You may not be using either,but both are present,and could easily be used if you chose.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Gone Hunting

IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:
carry a weapon (see definition)

If you "carry a weapon" on an OHV (bike with an electric motor) I would think that would be unlawful, weather the motor was running or not.

Apparently if you have a "Barbbed hook" attached to your line at a lake or stream, you are deemed to be fishing with it. It does not have to be in the water.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 PM

if a person was to leave his gun in a case in the evening at a place he wanted to call moose in the morning and drove out to his gun in the morning. then walked.......? legal or just grey area dreaming?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Gone Hunting

I think as far as the Provincial regs. on OHV use, it would be OK.

(Some guy walking in with his gun in the dark may not think it was too cool)

But as far as the Federal firearms regulations is concerned it may not be legal to leave a firearm "unattended" in the woods.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
if a person was to leave his gun in a case in the evening at a place he wanted to call moose in the morning and drove out to his gun in the morning. then walked.......? legal or just grey area dreaming?
It is illegal to leave your gun out not in a roofed shelter ie tent/ cabin but you can ride in untill an hour b4 sun rise / .5 hr be for legal shooting time so just leave camp early and then do some walking it wont kill you trust me
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Hilton View Post
You'd be fine if you are not using the motor - No problem at all. Take the spark plug out just to be safe. If the CO calls you on it, ask him to start the motor while you sit back, have a coffee and laugh. Please be sure to get this on video and post.

However, if it were me I'd use the time to get in shape as opposed to installing the motor. You'll be better off in the long run if you get my drift.

I bike to work and I'll never forgot a guy passing me with a bicycle with a motor mounted on the back only to have him pull over a few kms up and have me pass him while he attempted to start the motor that stalled. I waved and laughed ... and I beat him to downtown. What a great feeling, almost as good as passing the 100 cars lined up daily in the single lane construction zones bumper to bumper!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
You need to stay in the law! Go get yourself a street legal moterbike.
Get your self a moterbike lience and get it registered and insured for the street.Around 200 cc Now you can hunt in the morning up and down trails and cutlines all day.Rear tire chains make them unstopable Trust me !
-JR- : You found a loop hole, good for you! Good work!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
you are breaking a law......A LAW OF MANLINESS.

you are NOT allowed to go HUNTING on a homemade MOPED.

and if you do....you need to wear a fake moustache and get lots of pictures.

ps; dont forget your helmet.....pppfffbbtt!
lmao!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
From the Guide to hunting Regulations:

From DEFINITIONS:

OHV (Off-Highway Vehicle) - any motorized vehicle designed for cross-country travel on land, water, snow, ice, marsh or swamp land, or on other natural terrain.
[Exceptions: motor boats, as well as four-wheel-drive vehicles and motorcycles registered in accordance with the Traffic Safety Act.] Among OHVs, include the following kinds of vehicles when they are designed for cross-country travel as described above

I would say that JR's bike IS designed for "cross-country travel" and would then be considered an OHV.

NOT TO BE USED IN THE A.M. in some WMUs
if said vehicle is registered and the driver is licensed i believe you are incorrect.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Being the searcher for loopholes, that I am, I've always wondered, what if the "weapon" is being carried in a trailer, behind the OHV ?
Grizz
Old 09-06-2009, 12:47 PM

muscular & wind power. PUT A SAIL ON YOUR BIKE!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
I think as far as the Provincial regs. on OHV use, it would be OK.

(Some guy walking in with his gun in the dark may not think it was too cool)

But as far as the Federal firearms regulations is concerned it may not be legal to leave a firearm "unattended" in the woods.
he didn't ask what others might think, he asked if it was legal.

the firearms law does refer to leaving a gun "unattened" in a remote setting and the requirements that must be met
Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
It is illegal to leave your gun out not in a roofed shelter ie tent/ cabin but you can ride in untill an hour b4 sun rise / .5 hr be for legal shooting time so just leave camp early and then do some walking it wont kill you trust me
where is this written in the federal firearms act? provincial? county bylaws? lol when i sheep hunt i do not have a tent or cabin, does a piece of poly of reasonable size qualify as a roofed shelter, you see, it has no walls so what would the significance of a roof be? how far could i wander from this roofed shelter?

if im in a area where hunting takes place and there are predators, (ie:most western areas of Alberta),there are no storage requirements, just common sense.

"(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting." no mention of tent,roof,structure,tarp,leantoo,rockpile.

"(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws"

Last edited by Nait Hadya; 09-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.