Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Default Grouse recipes

Help. Looking for ruffy/spruce grouse recipes while in moose camp this year. Something easy in the field yet tasty! Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

A good one is this

Providing you have a oven of some sort or Dutch type

Breasts a large can of peaches. Thats it.
Just cook until they are done.
WOW
WOWOW

My brother has BBQed pieces with seasoning salt MMMM add some hot sauce and you have wing type things.

Jamie
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM

Honey glaze on the grouse breasts, and broil them in a covered pan with a bit of olive oil, and do up a casserole of wild rice
Just before they are done, put them on the rice, baste them with the glaze, and let them cook for another 5 minutes.
Looks great and taste fantastic!

Also, partridge strips suateed , then canned mandarin oranges added is nice.
My son makes Fahitas with partridges and pheasants!
Cat
Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 PM

I do an upland version of a "shore lunch". I can't give exact quantities 'cause I'm a "bit of this and a bit of that" kind of guy but this is a real hit in the evening with some Camp Wainwright Sharptail!
Flour with baking powder - seasoned heavily with garlic powder, cayenne powder, hot paprika, onion powder, oregano, salt and black pepper. I dip strips of grouse breast into milk, then dredge it in some of the flour mix, dip the dredged strip into a mix of well beaten eggs and a bit of milk and then back into the flour mixture. Fry the strips at fairly high temps in oil and enjoy. Don't cook too long or things dry out in a hurry. This stuff goes down like candy. We'll have it with rice or pasta (my favorite is a Jambalaya type rice mix). To make it a bit easier, I have used biscuit mix and bottled seasoning such as Cajun. For those who prefer not to go into melt down we've used regular seasoning salt, Italian seasonings, Mexican etc - what ever spins your crank. I try to use two separate bowls for the flour mix as things tend to get a little sticky using just one. This also rocks with duck and goose.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

You need a slow fire or a dutch oven for this one. Mix 1 can of mushroom soup with a few dollops of sour cream and a couble tbl spoons of lemon juice. If you've got some soy sauce throw that in too and season with salt and pepper and whatever else you want. Mix this all up and add a bit of water then put your grouse and whatever veggies your having in a roaster or pot and pour the sauce over the whole works. Then cook over low heat for about 1/2 hour or untill the grouse is done. I like to have this with garlic bread and dip the garlic bread in my excess sauce. This recipe also works good with salmon and trout but I use more soysauce with fish.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Default Lemontastic Ruffie

You can buy at IGA or Sobeys a 30 minute marinade, I get the lemon one and just put the breasts in it. I add garlic too because I like it so much! I usually let it sit for a day, but I don't think that you have to let it sit that long. BBQ on medium heat, but pay attention to the meat on the grill if you want it to still be juicy! My girlfriend hates how dry it is if you just BBQ sauce it an BBQ it! This recipie has her and her friends eating, loving and not being able to "taste" the differance!
Cheers

Chris
Old 09-03-2009, 04:35 PM

Heres a good one we use in elk camp every year

Put the breats in a bag of mostly flour, salt and pepper and some seasoning salt Throw in a pan with a little butter and cook til their crispy on the outside Best thing besides elk tenderloin
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM

I just salt and pepper them, then cook them slow as to not burn them in a cast iron pan with real butter.
Thats the way my dad showed me when i was young.
Dad wasent much of an elaborate cheif, but the man could get birds!!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
I just salt and pepper them, then cook them slow as to not burn them in a cast iron pan with real butter.
Thats the way my dad showed me when i was young.
Dad wasent much of an elaborate cheif, but the man could get birds!!
*** Drool *** ***Drool ***

Yeah...now THAT'S the way I like 'em, and by coincidence the way my Pa used to cook them as well. Doesn't matter how you cook them just remember keeping the moisture in is critical because dry grouse is like trying to eat cottonballs.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
Doesn't matter how you cook them just remember keeping the moisture in is critical because dry grouse is like trying to eat cottonballs.
[/LEFT]
Well said Dave. Yep - try not to overcook them and you'll be pleased with what comes out of the pan.

I think you could put it in any recipe that uses chicken breasts.

I like the peaches idea Jamie. I'll try that one this year for sure.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM

i just bread them in fish crisp, fast and tastes great.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Cut each breast into 3 pieces and dip into beaten eggs with a splash of milk added to them, then dredge into a mixture of pulverized unsalted soda crackers with onion powder,garlic powder,paprika,black pepper and Lawrys salt added to it ( Put the crackers into a large ziploc bag and crush with whatevers handy, like maybe a beer bottle) then fry in pan with LOTS of butter until no longer pink inside.Dont overcook! There will be no leftovers I promise.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Try this easy one for camp. Just cut the meat into small pieces and fry them up, get a bottle of sweet and sour sauce at Safeway and just pour it onto the meat, Deadly! Nice with a bit of rice.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Nationwide

Thumbs up Grouse with Spiced Cranberry Sauce

Last edited by Nationwide; 09-07-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: not for moose camp