Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Boating Safety

I read one of the locked threads that started out by describing the actions of a boater near a dock that had people on it followed by a description of what one of those people wanted to do. I don't want to open another can of worms but boaters should be aware that the dangerous operation of a vessel is a criminal offence.

The Criminal Code of Canada states:

249. (1) Every one commits an offence who operates

(a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place;

(b) a vessel or any water skis, surf-board, water sled or other towed object on or over any of the internal waters of Canada or the territorial sea of Canada, in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature and condition of those waters or sea and the use that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be made of those waters or sea;

(c) an aircraft in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature and condition of that aircraft or the place or air space in or through which the aircraft is operated; or

(d) railway equipment in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to all the circumstances, including the nature and condition of the equipment or the place in or through which the equipment is operated.

Punishment

(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

The use of a slingshot against any person could also cause you to end up in court charged with a criminal offence. Any of these convictions could see you banned from entering a foreign country.

It's a free country and you can do anything you want to in it. Just remember that everything you do has a price and you have to be willing to pay it.

Respect the rights of others.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Very well said hooker

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Hooker;978433]I read one of the locked threads that started out by describing the actions of a boater near a dock that had people on it followed by a description of what one of those people wanted to do.

wanting to do and doing are two entirely different things..
one would hope that said person would go have a smoke/drink( pop) and

chill long enough to contemplate the reality of said actions..
and just go back to fishing:
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 PM

that thread was an embarrassment to grownups....let alone outdoorsmen/women of this forum...good to see it shut down.