Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Default Lesser Slave Lake

Who's been up to Lesser Slave Lake in the past week or so and are there any algae blooms? Same question applies to North Wabasca Lake. I appreciate any info.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM

A little, what is to be expected for this time of the year.Was out fishing Monday and Wednesday...Awesome.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

Lake is realy high and dirty, the fishing is hit and miss. I find that due to the frequent storm fronts the fish often seem lethargic. The slow finess approches that are often needed to catch fish in these conditions are not very visible in the stained water and fishing can be pretty slow sometimes. Due to the number of people living in travel trailers after the fire many of the campgrounds have jacked their rates beyond belief, call around befor you head up.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Due to the number of people living in travel trailers after the fire many of the campgrounds have jacked their rates beyond belief, call around befor you head up.
You should name these camgrounds. I for one would not support theses campgrounds in the future. Taking advantage of the fire victoms. sorry to derail the thread. havnt fished it this year. wow!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
You should name these camgrounds. I for one would not support theses campgrounds in the future. Taking advantage of the fire victoms. sorry to derail the thread. havnt fished it this year. wow!
The rates got jacked because in most cases insurance is paying the bill, but yeah its still realy crappy. Big Fish Bay, Roland on the River, Norms Walleye camp have all jumped from $400-$600 a month to $1250 a month, not sure about the other ones.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the info folks. Much appreciated. Fortunately I had my place at Norm's Walleye Camp booked last year and prices were confirmed. The people who own Norm's are straight shooters and great people so I knew there wouldn't be a problem. As for the water that info is good stuff. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
Thanks for the info folks. Much appreciated. Fortunately I had my place at Norm's Walleye Camp booked last year and prices were confirmed. The people who own Norm's are straight shooters and great people so I knew there wouldn't be a problem. As for the water that info is good stuff. Thanks.
Been having the best luck lately on jigs or dropshot rigs and live bait. I use a drift bucket to cover water very slowly. It can take awhile to drift this close enough to a fish that he see's it so I toss out my anchor when I get a fish and fan cast the area which will sometimes get me another fish or two. I've kinda been thinking about trying a drop shot rig with a jigging spoon in place of the sinker, possibly working the jigging spoon could get fish to investigate from further away while alternatly the drop shot bait could be worked slowly to get a strike I'll let you know how this works the next time I get out.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Yes, I use my drift sock quite regularly too. I have equal success with trolling and drift casting. I've also had a lot of luck using a Williams Wabbler 6 inch gold and silver whitefish spoon both on big Walleye and big Pike. If you don't have one don't hesitate to add a couple to your collection. I'm in the process of taking the treble hooks off my lures and replacing them with single barbless red hooks. I have found that just about all my fish now get hooked on the lip and have not gorged the hook down their throat. I have found jigs and minnows to be quite productive on the drop offs on Lesser Slave though and will probably continue using them there.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM

All good info but never had a hit and miss day here in the summer. Jighead & minnow just off the bottom in a rod holder will get you a lot of fish . Did the tourney in the worst possible conditions including the dirtiest water ever and still went through 35 tubs of the Candle lake shiners. Hmmm a hint there.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM

I have been camping at Norm's Walleye Camp. Their rates did not go up: that is a croc! They are awesome people to stay with. Most of the campers are regulars that keep coming back.

I picked up a 73 cm walleye last week came in at 6.3 lbs. There are lots of walleye in the 60 CM range this year. It appears they are coming in from the high water in the river.

Have been fishing the east end of the lake.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Default West end

Anyone been fishing the west end lately?

I was there a few weeks ago and man the water was muddy due to the high water level.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM

Fishing has been hit and miss lately but there is still some fish to be caught.Water level is crazy high and very dirty.

As for camping my sister and her husband lost their place in the fire and were allowed to camp at Martin river free all summer.

Good Luck and have fun..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Looking forward to the end of August. We were there last August and had awesome fishing. Good to hear that Martin River is keeping its rates the same too. Tourism is their bread and butter. Superuke ... when you say the Walleye are coming in from the river ... are you talking about the Lesser Slave River and are they moving into that area in front of the cabins on the east end? I've had a lot of good fishing in that area but last year every Walleye was just under the legal length. How is the fishing just across from Norm's Walleye Camp? I've always meant to try that after supper but the Scotch kept getting in the way.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
Looking forward to the end of August. We were there last August and had awesome fishing. Good to hear that Martin River is keeping its rates the same too. Tourism is their bread and butter. Superuke ... when you say the Walleye are coming in from the river ... are you talking about the Lesser Slave River and are they moving into that area in front of the cabins on the east end? I've had a lot of good fishing in that area but last year every Walleye was just under the legal length. How is the fishing just across from Norm's Walleye Camp? I've always meant to try that after supper but the Scotch kept getting in the way.
I have not fished accross the river from Norms: We troll in the Lake: Anywhere from the beach to dog island, the bigger fish we picked up where closer to the weeds. End of August: Clear try clear water 13-20 ft.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks, will do.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

I thought that weir on the Slave River solved all the problems.

What is like launching a boat out of town?

Is it stll pretty shallow as you head toward Dog Island and then veer off into the deeper water?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I thought that weir on the Slave River solved all the problems.

What is like launching a boat out of town?

Is it stll pretty shallow as you head toward Dog Island and then veer off into the deeper water?
Lol the weir only helps with keeping water IN the lake, not letting it OUT. Not even sure you can see the weir right now, it was completely submerged a couple times this year.These days at some of my fishing spots I launch my canoe, then paddle through the forest untill I find the lake, kinda sketchy trying to land in a rough chop though.