Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Default Oddball canvas tent ...

2 Years ago I went ahead and ordered a 12x15 canvas tent with all the trimmings (bug fly, storm flap, silicone ring for stack) and got a steal of a deal. Now the thing is, is the tent is a 12x15 with a 5' wall and 9' ceiling. Think I could find a 12x15 internal frame?? Not a chance, after calling a bunch of places to try and find one, I ended up with a big bag a squat. Norseman only deals with industrial app's if you call their number and you get redirected to Campers Village. Which directed me back to Norseman ... and so on and so on. Deluxe wall tents stated that gettin that size in a custom job wouldn't happen. Even after hounding companies that do event tents and awnings couldn't come up with anything. Just puttin it out there... any help would be appreciated!!

ps best way to cure canvas??
Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjonahjohnson View Post
ps best way to cure canvas??
Not sure, what is it sick of? On a serious note, that sucks man! Maybe you could find a welder who could build you a frame? Other than that I guess you're stick with trees at the campsite.

Just found something, try deluxewalltents.com.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM

Default Tent Frame

Hey Jay,
I would buy a 14*16 frame and cut the poles to fit. I purchased a 16*20 tent from them and all it is really is elbows and 1" poles made to fit 16*20. You could easily modify one of the frams to fit.
Later
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Though of hackin up a larger frame size but was kinda leery, deluxe's were in the 700$ range if i'm not mistaken and the norseman frames all interlock with each other so those would endup getting cut on most of the poles

still might need an axe for setup
Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Though of hackin up a larger frame size but was kinda leery

still might need an axe for setup

Not sure what your leary about, it's only 1" metal conduit. The money for the frame is in the cast elbows. Don't be leary, after our tent shrunk we had to cut poles. It's no big deal.
Later
Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 AM

Check out Montana Canvas, I just bought the angle kit from them for my tent.
$120.00 U.S. Then just use 1.25 O.D. electrical steel conduit.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Just a heads up on the electrical conduit. If your leaving your tent in for awhile unattended make sure you buld some tree poles to support the inside as the weight of the snow will collapse the conduit. I know this first hand. Not a fun thing to repair when you get in and find your tent collapsed.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM

I looked at the hinges at montana canvas and they don't say what they are made of. Cabela's carries the same sort and they're made of potmetal which is a type of galvanized i think, there was a review or two stating that that alloy was weak and they had eventually broke. Was wondering if the montana ones were made of the same thing.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I looked at the hinges at montana canvas and they don't say what they are made of. Cabela's carries the same sort and they're made of potmetal which is a type of galvanized i think, there was a review or two stating that that alloy was weak and they had eventually broke. Was wondering if the montana ones were made of the same thing.
The Montana angles are steel.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:45 AM

the new wall tent frame at campers village this year can be easily adjusted by cutting the poles
Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Why not try us? http://northwestshelters.com i'm sure we can ship you the frame you need.

We can have it shipped to you by Tuesday. Email us from the website for an estimate or call us if you are ready to order.

Cheers,
Frank
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 AM

I used 1" x 1" square tubing and made my own..tubing cost me $120...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM

if you can't weld the frame up yourself just get the adjustable angle brackets and cut 1" conduit to fit. no big deal.
That must have been one heck of a snowfall to collapse 1" conduit, did you leave the tent up all winter?
I was in a similar situation for our moose camp, we were looking for a wall tent with high walls ( 6 ft) for our kitchen tent,couldn't find one so we made one. ordered a 10 oz. white natural canvas tarp 26X24 and cut the end pieces out of the 10 X 24 side and used the 14X26 for the side and roof sewed it up and put it over our custom conduit frame. We even had an old camper door that we adapted for the set up, here's a few pics.I tried to include some of the frame to give you an idea of what you might do.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM

now that is a nice tent....
Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Default Fancy tent

and a nice pool!!!

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"