Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Default pigeon lake

How is ice access for driving now on southside of lake or by provincial park area . Thanx.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=battle+lake

January 4th 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Ballz View Post
Too add to the warnings I was out at Pigeon yesterday. I went on the lake at Grandview and about 150 yds. out front of the big white house with the pillars. To make a long story short my buddy and I both broke the first 6" of ice we had water shooting over the cabs of our trucks trying to get out of there. The ice was 13" thick but the first layer seems to be really poor this year. I've found the bottom layer of ice is clearer and strong and the top is crap! We moved closer to where we drove on at Grandview and there was 17inches of ice there but same thing bottom good, top crap! When we were leaving from there I got stuck in the drifts and finally got movin after a little shovelling but same thing, broke through again with 17" of ice this time and after some serious 4 wheelin I was out again. And only one jack seen and landed all day.....not really worth the 2 pair of underwear it cost me

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 PM

You can easily access the Lake from the boat launch in the park, guys were on the Lake in cars & mini vans. Looks like a good forcast this weekend, looks like we're headed out there again.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Its ok to park on the ice under 50 yards from shore. venture out any further and your looking up at the ice. i was out there with my sled and drove all over drilling holes. its the same story all over the place. 6" of ice and lots of flood ice.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
Its ok to park on the ice under 50 yards from shore. venture out any further and your looking up at the ice. i was out there with my sled and drove all over drilling holes. its the same story all over the place. 6" of ice and lots of flood ice.
I've heard mixed reports about this. What parts of the lake are you talking about?

I know some have done a lot of driving with few problems while others seem to have floodwater built into the bottoms of their vehicles.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM

milhurst bay out past golden days. i have not made it to the west side yet
Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Yea, everyone that drove on the lake when I was there stayed in shallow areas (probably 6 - 10 ft of water) - I took the quad. I saw tracks where someone ventured out further and ran into flood water. That was straight out out from the boat launch in the park where it drops to 20 ft. There were no vehicles out that far at the time.