Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 PM

Default Wabamun Feb 22, 2015

Arrived at the lake at 845 or so and was delighted to see only 2 other vehicles on the ice. Went out to my spot and spent a glorious 6 hours out there with nary another fisherman within 1 mile. Only disturbance was a 2 wheel drive Chevy half ton that went burning by around 230ish.

Have found from watching the pike on the camera, having the smelt just off the bottom with its head down seems to trigger the strikes. If you move it a hair too much, it seems to spook the pike.

Iced probably 20 pike with the biggest being around 5 lbs. Lost a few as well due to too light a trigger on the Jaw Jacker or myself not getting the hook set.

Please note, I am no Fishing Doctor so my photos are not as good as his. I still have to master using the GoPro under water. Most of my action shots are taken with my phone camera off the Marcum screen. Next year will see improvements here.

Biggest pike of the day. Estimated 5 lbs???

Strange growth. As silly as this seems, seen this pike or one just like him last weekend in the same spot. Finally after three strikes at my bait I got him on the Jaw Jacker. Any idea what the growth may be??

Pike looked healthy enough.

Not paying attention when setting up the Jaw Jacker and oops! Old rod, was time for it to go anyways.

Going in for the kill!

Tried to embed a video but the technology evades me!
Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Likely just a simple case of dermal sarcoma ....... typically milky in color ..... this looks pretty clear ..... who knows .... might be something else like fish herpes?

Hopefully not Lymphocysts from rubbing on the walleyes ...... the pike may not be used to having this around ..... all the little walleyes in there now is certain to have some effects on the pike.

I'd send the picture over the Stephen at SRD ....

Last edited by EZM; 02-22-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:40 PM

I told him to wrap it up...
Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Default Diddo

Water was little murky fish were skittish, whites too, fish won today pretty slow where I was too, good job fish police, supposedly dude had a plastic bag with 3 pike and got a 1500 ticket.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
dude had a plastic bag with 3 pike and got a 1500 ticket.
Sweet!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
Water was little murky fish were skittish, whites too, fish won today pretty slow where I was too, good job fish police, supposedly dude had a plastic bag with 3 pike and got a 1500 ticket.
I'm pretty sure a couple guys beside me got dinged for something as well today, f&w was with them for about 20 minutes, then they packed up and left right after the officer left. They were only there an hour before this happened.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:53 PM

Great to see the F&W out doing patrols. They were out at Snipe today checking people too.

Thanks for the pics, John!