Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Default Wild Blueberry Help

Howdy,
I was wondering if anyone knew of some wild blueberry spots within a 3 hour drive from Calgary.

My mom is from northern Ontario and loves picking wild blueberries. She doesn't believe me when I tell her they grow in central and northern alberta.

I would like to go and find some myself and pick a bucket for her. Wondering if they are ready now as well.

Thanks in advance

Julian
Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Don't know about Calgary, but they are definitely ready to be picked 9 hours north of Calgary. In fact, I am going today in the evening well, not really that exciting since I don't like the process

They grow in northern Ontario, why wouldn't they grow in Alberta?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Wild Blueberry Help

I have a good spot too, but it's 70km north east of Edmonton

And there is plenty ripe ones ready now

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode."
Hillbillyreefer
Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Howdy,
I was wondering if anyone knew of some wild blueberry spots within a 3 hour drive from Calgary.

My mom is from northern Ontario and loves picking wild blueberries. She doesn't believe me when I tell her they grow in central and northern alberta.

I would like to go and find some myself and pick a bucket for her. Wondering if they are ready now as well.

Thanks in advance

Julian
I've found them as far south as the bearberry area but they were rather sparse and hard to find, the further northwest you go the more you'll find them, they're probably not ripe yet though
Old 08-04-2017, 11:59 PM

Oh, they are pretty ripe. In fact, where I pick them, if you do not hurry, they will start dropping soon. Fairly early this year. I will have to head there again this weekend to get a couple of pales. Didn't get much accomplished today and it kind of sucked since I forgot my boots at home and had to walk the bush in flipflops (my boots are always in the vehicle, but yesterday I walked in the bush during and after the rain and I was soaked (boots got filled with water from the top) and had to take everything inside to dry out).

Last year I think was better for blueberries, quantity wise. I have noticed to day that many bushes are berry free, which is usually not the case. Seems like a great year for cranberries though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bluberries.jpg (76.2 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg Bluberries and cranberries.jpg (85.1 KB, 243 views)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Oh, they are pretty ripe. In fact, where I pick them, if you do not hurry, they will start dropping soon. Fairly early this year. I will have to head there again this weekend to get a couple of pales. Didn't get much accomplished today and it kind of sucked since I forgot my boots at home and had to walk the bush in flipflops (my boots are always in the vehicle, but yesterday I walked in the bush during and after the rain and I was soaked (boots got filled with water from the top) and had to take everything inside to dry out).

Last year I think was better for blueberries, quantity wise. I have noticed to day that many bushes are berry free, which is usually not the case. Seems like a great year for cranberries though.

That's awesome, I'll have to try and sneak out this weekend, normally I'd had to wait another week it seems to get the peak but they're loooking good. If you don't mind me asking whereabouts are you? More for the cranberries to be honest, the wife is from Newfoundland and has some tasty recipes for them.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Those pictures were taken around Deadwood area.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:03 PM

There are some around the Edson to Hinton area, as well as smokey lake to bonnyville. Finding good concentrations takes boot work, it varies year to year. I doubt you would find big numbers within 3 hrs of cowtown, but there's plenty of saskatoons right there and huckleberries to the west.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:23 PM

If I knew where I could pick wild hackleberries near me, that would be swell
Old 08-05-2017, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Howdy,
I was wondering if anyone knew of some wild blueberry spots within a 3 hour drive from Calgary.My mom is from northern Ontario and loves picking wild blueberries. She doesn't believe me when I tell her they grow in central and northern alberta.I would like to go and find some myself and pick a bucket for her. Wondering if they are ready now as well.
Thanks in advance
Julian
Mom and dad lived south of Caslan for about twenty years, and I know they had good blueberry picking somewhere roughly around there (within 1/2 an hr?). My suggestion is to look at some topo maps of that general area to find good terrain. You can also get forest cover maps that might help.

Last edited by drhu22; 08-05-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:50 AM

Look around North Buck Lake, Hope Lake, Skeleton Lake, Calling Lake ...

If that is not enough, don't know what you could possibly want.

Last year was a boomer year. This year the groups of plants with berries are ALOT BIGGER, and in nice clusters, but the groups of producing plants are spread out so some walking from patch to patch, but many many plump ripe berries.

By the way, take another bucket and look for old poplar logs. The bearsclaw - cauliflower - hercium mushrooms are everywhere and in their prime.

Drewski
Old 08-06-2017, 06:31 PM

Picked some blueberries up by farm at Grassland yesterday

Strangely the Saskatoon berries on the farm are really hard to find. The trees seem bear!