Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Iceland

Thinking about going to Iceland for our honeymoon end of sept. Need recommendations for towns/cities, where to stay, what to do, etc.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 PM

Following this thread as Were headed mid september for 8 days. Going to Reykjavik and not sure where else, still planning
Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Son was there a month ago on a photo trip. Lovely country, but if it's not raining, it will. Apparently depression is a real problem with Icelandics cause of that. Expensive as hell, 600. Can. for a meal for three of them, in a restaurant. Apparently, Iceland has become a very popular tourist destination and prices have gone up accordingly. Brother was there a couple of years ago and was surprised to hear that. Small enough you can drive around the island in a day. Sheep is Iceland's main industry and they're everywhere. Wife and I were gonna go, think we're going to Alaska instead.

Grizz
Old 08-06-2017, 10:33 PM

My wife and I did a short trip to Iceland in Feb 2016, had a great time and would be happy to go back.
Iceland air flies out of Edmonton, direct service, prices are quite reasonable (I think). We got a deal on Travelzoo.com --have a look on there, can't hurt.
The airport is about a 40 minute bus trip from Rejyavik (spelling). They have a lot of bus tours and provide great service, pick you up at your hotel and drop you back off.
I would sure take in a tour of the geysers; they are simply amazing!

Meals are pricey, but the hotel stay included a real nice breakfast. You could probably make yourself a lunch and then only have to pay for a meal out once a day to keep costs in line.

this would be a memorable place to do a honeymoon!

Cheers
Hawkeye
Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Son was there a month ago on a photo trip. Lovely country, but if it's not raining, it will. Apparently depression is a real problem with Icelandics cause of that. Expensive as hell, 600. Can. for a meal for three of them, in a restaurant. Apparently, Iceland has become a very popular tourist destination and prices have gone up accordingly. Brother was there a couple of years ago and was surprised to hear that. Small enough you can drive around the island in a day. Sheep is Iceland's main industry and they're everywhere. Wife and I were gonna go, think we're going to Alaska instead.

Grizz
We were there a few years ago and it was super expensive then. We rented a hotel with a small kitchen so we could cook some of our meals. We stayed in Reykjavik.

Do a golden circle tour, we rented a car with Procar, who was the cheapest at the time.

See the Geyser, Gullfoss falls, Pingvellir National Park.

The Blue Lagoon is a must IMO.

Check out the penis museum in Reykjavik

Eat Skyr yogurt, it's amazing. Same with the hotdogs in Reykjavik at Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur.

Snorkel in Silfra.

Stand on the bridge between continents in Thingvellir National Park

We did a lot of driving there, the countryside is pretty interesting. It's almost like being on a different planet, stark, black lava rock with steam rising out all over. It's a pretty interesting place, would love to go back.

Last edited by Sporty; 08-07-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Pretty place, but as others have said it is expensive in the extreme. A lot like any Northern community where everything comes in by boat or air. Iceland and Norway have the added problem of very high taxation, 45% income tax and 24% sales tax, so you get a double wammy. Definitely take anything you plan to use with you. Also, unless you are travelling on an expense account try to get a place where you can do some of your own cooking, it is hard to have supper for less than $150 a head and lunch isn't much cheaper.

You can sight see, but it is a pretty small place. Gas is about $2 a litre and the price is the same everywhere, rental cars per day are 20% more than weekly so for a week it costs the same as renting for 3 or 4 days. You can also go fishing. Probably one of the best Atlantic Salmon fisheries left in the world. Also, trout, Char and sea fishing. Lots of guides and fishing charters available but I would set that up before I went. Some supply all gear, others you have to bring your own. Having them supply it is a whole lot more convenient.

As long as you are willing to do a little of your own work it is a place well worth seeing.