Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 07:11 AM

Default Trail cams illegal on public land?

I had someone tell me that my trail cam on public land is illegal and I should be careful to not be caught. I can't seem to find any laws that say this is true. Just wondering if this is something recent that I was not aware of? I know it's illegal in parks but wasn't aware it was on all public land.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:17 AM

Tell someone they are dumb and have made up laws in their head.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

hmmm might grow legs so be very picky of your locations...or you might get a few butt pics etc....legal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
hmmm might grow legs so be very picky of your locations...or you might get a few butt pics etc....legal.
Or, just have it stolen.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yep, i just had my first camera that grew legs and disappeared on public land over the last month or so...

Not illegal to put them out there, but be aware that they better be well hidden or they do have a tendency to disappear wherever the general public can access.

DR
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the help fellas, it's about 8 feet off the ground and locked up so if someone wants it that bad they can have it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:55 AM

Not necessarily illegal... but I suppose it could be littering. You aren’t supposed to build any permanent structures on crown land and if found F&W might burn it down, or remove it and if they know who put it there you might get a fine or a bill. Trailcam is pretty small but it doesn’t mean they won’t view it as garbage.

LC
Old 05-27-2020, 07:26 PM

I find it very disappointing to hear that people steel trail cams. Is it that difficult to be a decent human being? I’ve run across other people’s cams, I just walk around it so they don’t get any free pictures of me, haha.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:50 PM

I could see some people thinking this way as it mat invasion of their privacy. But c'mon, this is pretty silly thinking.

I don't put cameras on public land because they just keep going missing. I've lost 8 in the years I did it.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecaller View Post
I could see some people thinking this way as it mat invasion of their privacy. But c'mon, this is pretty silly thinking.

I don't put cameras on public land because they just keep going missing. I've lost 8 in the years I did it.
You didn't lose them, they were stolen by some scum.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 PM

There is no privacy in public. Not illegal at all. Have fun with it
Old 05-27-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not necessarily illegal... but I suppose it could be littering. You aren’t supposed to build any permanent structures on crown land and if found F&W might burn it down, or remove it and if they know who put it there you might get a fine or a bill. Trailcam is pretty small but it doesn’t mean they won’t view it as garbage.

LC
Our group has several fabricated stands on crown land.

Never any issues.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:55 PM

I do not run trail cams at all, and have never disturbed one whether on public or private land.

That said, I have to admit to not liking the feeling of being watched the few times that I bump into one in public land. I do not have an issue with it being garbage, because they are usually well placed and in good repair.

If it were up to me (and it isn’t) I would limit their use to private lands only. I am sure those who use them would opine differently, and that’s fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 PM

People shouldn’t pull the cards take the cams or disturb them but that’s not the world we live in. If you put out enough cams some will get stolen it happens there are thieves everywhere. I’ve put cams 15km back and still have bow hunters and guys on horses walk by them people are everywhere if you made it everyone else can to.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
if that's the case I better start picking up more garbage when im in the woods.....
Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
if that's the case I better start picking up more garbage when im in the woods.....
you could open a used hunting apparel/accessory store....full time...

until that one customer comes in.........cardio workout!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-29-2020, 12:06 PM

Just an FYI, I had a conversation with a F&W officer about a game camera I had set up in a provincial park, which I found out actually is not allowed as permits are required for any such activity. During a separate conversation with a different officer I was told the same rules apply for wildland parks which I found odd, since hunting is allowed in both the provincial park I had my game camera in and most, if not all wildland parks.

Both conversations were extremely cordial, and I wasn't cited for having my game camera up in the provincial park. I'd essentially self reported as I was speaking to the officer about a separate issue and mentioned it in passing. He informed me of the rule and we agreed I'd remove it the next time I went out.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
Just an FYI, I had a conversation with a F&W officer about a game camera I had set up in a provincial park, which I found out actually is not allowed as permits are required for any such activity. During a separate conversation with a different officer I was told the same rules apply for wildland parks which I found odd, since hunting is allowed in both the provincial park I had my game camera in and most, if not all wildland parks.

Both conversations were extremely cordial, and I wasn't cited for having my game camera up in the provincial park. I'd essentially self reported as I was speaking to the officer about a separate issue and mentioned it in passing. He informed me of the rule and we agreed I'd remove it the next time I went out.
Game cameras are not allowed in Provincial Parks, however I was told the opposite regarding wildland parks when I called Fish and Wildlife.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisRD View Post
Game cameras are not allowed in Provincial Parks, however I was told the opposite regarding wildland parks when I called Fish and Wildlife.

Classic
Old 06-04-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I do not run trail cams at all, and have never disturbed one whether on public or private land.

That said, I have to admit to not liking the feeling of being watched the few times that I bump into one in public land. I do not have an issue with it being garbage, because they are usually well placed and in good repair.

If it were up to me (and it isn’t) I would limit their use to private lands only. I am sure those who use them would opine differently, and that’s fine with me.

have a cellphone? own a debit or credit card? go out in public ? You are tracked/watched almost every second of the day.

Some trail cams out in the woods are the least of your worries.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
have a cellphone? own a debit or credit card? go out in public ? You are tracked/watched almost every second of the day.

Some trail cams out in the woods are the least of your worries.

Thanks for that.

Just like I wrote in my original post, I am not a fan of having my picture taken by trail cameras. I suppose the same goes for being tracked through cell phone use. My guess is that if we had the choice, all of human race would prefer not to be tracked through phone and card usage.

Last edited by dave99; 06-05-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 AM

Another vote for NOT a fan of trail cams on public land!

JMHO though.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:21 PM

If you find a trail camera way out in the woods strip down and make whoever's watching it later spit out their beer. Not that I've done such a thing....
Flanny