Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Banned

Default AB, SK taking over the appointment of provincial firearms officers

It looks like Alberta is doing what it can to get out from the federal grasp. I heard on the news the other night that Kenney wants to create our own provincial parole board to replace the federal one.

Alberta, Saskatchewan taking over the appointment of provincial firearms officers

Alberta and Saskatchewan are moving to assert greater control over gun regulation by taking over the appointment of their provincial firearms officers at a time of heightened tension on the Prairies over gun rights.

Both provinces have announced plans to replace the current provincial chief firearms officers, who until now have been appointed by Ottawa, with their own selection. The firearms officers oversee licensing, transportation and other administrative issues related to the implementation of federal gun laws.

They will join Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in having control over who fills that position.​

Alberta and Saskatchewan announced their intentions regarding firearms officers months ago, but the idea has taken on greater urgency since Ottawa announced a ban on what it calls assault weapons in May.

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney said that while he acknowledges the federal government has jurisdiction over gun laws, a provincially appointed firearms officer will ensure those laws are applied appropriately.

"Often, personnel is policy,” Mr. Kenney said on Monday.

“We believe we can have somebody who, while obviously committed to upholding the law, will do so in a way that focuses enforcement on criminal misuse of firearms rather than regulatory harassment of safe, legal, law-abiding farmers and duck hunters."

Alberta’s United Conservative Party government tabled a motion in the provincial legislature recently calling for a provincially appointed firearms officer. It is expected to pass in the coming days.

Saskatchewan announced last week that it was formally launching the search for a chief firearms officer.

The province’s Minister of Corrections and Policing, Christine Tell, said she wants someone in the role who understands rural Saskatchewan.

“The Firearms Act has to be followed, there’s no question, but having somebody who gets it, somebody who understands this province is important,” Ms. Tell said in an interview.

“I’m hesitant to use the word ‘control,’ because the act is very specific. But it’s how you administer it."

Ms. Tell declined to provide any examples of areas where she wants federal gun laws to be administered differently.

Mary-Liz Power, the press secretary for federal Public Safety Minister Bill Blair, said in an e-mailed statement that the federal government supports the provinces’ right to appoint a chief firearms officer.

Solomon Friedman, an Ottawa-based criminal lawyer who specializes in gun laws, said provincial chief firearms officers have latitude when it comes to licensing and other decisions. For example, that includes where a licensed gun owner can transport a gun and in what conditions, which can vary from province to province.

He compared it to the discretion a local police chief has in enforcing the federal Criminal Code.

“Whatever differences would apply, I think they would be minor and regulatory in nature, but they could make a big difference in the day-to-day use of firearms by licensed gun owners,” Mr. Friedman said.

Mr. Friedman, who represents a gun shop owner in a legal challenge of the federal firearms ban, said gun owners, particularly in the West, have often felt like a political target.

“There are definitely regional issues there,” he said. “There’s no question that, in the Prairies, this has long been an issue that’s galvanized political support.”

Wendy Cukier, a Ryerson University professor who is the president of the Coalition for Gun Control, said chief firearms officers also have a lot of control over who is prohibited from owning a restricted weapon if, for example, they pose a danger.

“The flavour of the provincial government does have a pretty profound impact on how rigorously they implement the law, how committed they are to rigorous screening,” she said.

Prof. Cukier said that if provinces want more control over gun regulation, they also need to be prepared to share the blame if mistakes are made. She added that provinces such as Alberta and Saskatchewan that have higher rates of gun ownership also have higher rates of gun crime, suicide and domestic homicide.

“When, as invariably will happen, there are tragedies, people will be asking: Why did that person have a gun?” Prof. Cukier said.

“With responsibility comes accountability, and if the provinces decide they want to take more responsibility for administering gun control laws, they will also be held accountable for that. And that may not be a bad thing."

Tony Bernardo, executive director of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association, said provincially appointed firearms officers are able to reflect how people use guns and what’s acceptable in different parts of the country.

“What works in downtown Montreal doesn’t necessarily work in Strathmore, [Alta.]," he said.

“Every area in the country has a different level of accepted utility in the use of firearms."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...7CEPLWg1k_Pnq8
Old 06-02-2020, 12:59 PM

I support this move, the less Ottawa is involved in the west, the better.

What would this mean for the new prohibitions though?

Quote:
federal government has jurisdiction over gun laws, a provincially appointed firearms officer will ensure those laws are applied appropriately.
I'm just curious for an example of how the laws could be applied appropriately.

Just throwing this up in the air, could they say that handguns could be used on your own private property?

Clay
Old 06-02-2020, 01:20 PM

Thanks for posting this OP, definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully the Province can apply this control to transfer payments going East as well soon.....
Old 06-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
I support this move, the less Ottawa is involved in the west, the better.

What would this mean for the new prohibitions though?

I'm just curious for an example of how the laws could be applied appropriately.

Just throwing this up in the air, could they say that handguns could be used on your own private property?

Clay
It would mean nothing for new prohibitions. The AB CFO is required to administer the Federal Firearms Act and any OIC issued by the govt. In my opinion it's just smoke and mirrors.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 PM

How can you tell when Wendy Kookier is lying? Her lips are moving....

Alberta and Sask have higher rates of gun crime...sure. Because if you said that 90% of the gun crime happened in Toronto and involved criminals who are already prohibited from owning firearms, and are using smuggled illegal guns from the USA...it doesn't suit the narrative.

Just like the Toronto rapper who was killed in broad daylight the other day in....Toronto. And two people who were with him when he was killed, were carrying illegal prohibited firearms. One was a 15 year old, so we know he sure didn't have a license.

And Billy Blair scratched his head and said, 'This is an outrage!! We need to make Canada a safe place for Canadians! We must ban a bunch of completely unrelated rifles, and take them out of the hands of the law abiding, so they can no longer continue to obey the law and harm no one with them!!'

Idiots. But, if you can get your talking points in order ('Designed for no other purpose than to kill the most people in the shortest amount of time'....'Deadly military grade assault type weapons'......blah blah blah)....you can get votes from a demographic who is already anti gun??

Jesus wept.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM

I emailed my provincial MLA to support this initiative. I suggest others do the same.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Thanks for posting this OP, definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully the Province can apply this control to transfer payments going East as well soon.....
It’s cheap theatre that lets Kenney tell everyone he’s sticking it to the federal government with basically zero risk politically. This means nothing for classification, bans or OICs; a provincial CFO still has to enforce the federal laws. The only thing this might change is the CFO demanding range memberships when renewing an RPAL or transferring a restricted.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
It would mean nothing for new prohibitions. The AB CFO is required to administer the Federal Firearms Act and any OIC issued by the govt. In my opinion it's just smoke and mirrors.
Amazing...he does nothing and people whine.
He does something and people...whine 🤔
Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Isn't the Chief Firearms Officer also responsible for managing gun ranges? It would be most helpful to have more prompt and sensible decisions for those facilities.

Also - I'm pleased to see Kenney doing what he's doing. There's never going to be a 'fair deal' for the west, from Ottawa.

Keep walking away Mr. Kenney.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
That’s how politics work, Can’t make them all happy.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 PM

Great first step. Our own parole board coming, nice second step. Cops, pensions, etc. keep them coming.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-02-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Great first step. Our own parole board coming, nice second step. Cops, pensions, etc. keep them coming.
The parole board might by my favorite, sadly its only for those with sentences of two years or less. I think it should apply across the board for anyone convicted of an offense in Alberta, and regardless of where they are jailed. Serving time in Kingston pen for a crime committed in Wild Rose Country? Still judged by an AB parole board would be nice (jury of ones peers and all that, Ontario clearly does not understand AB)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:25 PM

I emailed Kenny about doing this a month ago, also said it was time to ditch the RCMP in favor of a Provincial force.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 06-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
It’s cheap theatre that lets Kenney tell everyone he’s sticking it to the federal government with basically zero risk politically. This means nothing for classification, bans or OICs; a provincial CFO still has to enforce the federal laws. The only thing this might change is the CFO demanding range memberships when renewing an RPAL or transferring a restricted.
I’m not so sure that this move as as meaningless as you say, especially if Justin passes legislation that empowers cities to place their own bans on firearms. That is something that he has suggested doing in the past.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:49 AM

Don't get your hopes too high.

This is primarily political theatre, designed to be a feel good exercise, playing to the Premier's base constituency.

There is very little scope for action in enforcing firearms law and regulations.
There is no example of a Provincially appointed CFO that you could point to as more "firearms owner friendly".

There will be real financial costs to the Province associated with this move.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
You are catching on. Misery loves company.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Many whiners don't know what they are whining about. They just wanna whine. I prefer not to whine at all. I don't mind that he did this, but you can't be fooled into thinking that this is something that is going to change the face of owning a firearm in AB. This is just a symbolic gesture...
Old 06-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Don't get your hopes too high.

This is primarily political theatre, designed to be a feel good exercise, playing to the Premier's base constituency.

There is very little scope for action in enforcing firearms law and regulations.
There is no example of a Provincially appointed CFO that you could point to as more "firearms owner friendly".

There will be real financial costs to the Province associated with this move.
Maybe there is hope. New article today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ment-1.5596541

"A motion before the Alberta legislature proposes the government "take all necessary steps to assert provincial jurisdiction" in connection with gun control, including the appointment of a provincial firearms officer to supersede a federal officer. "
Old 06-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Many whiners don't know what they are whining about. They just wanna whine. I prefer not to whine at all. I don't mind t he did this, but you can't be fooled into thinking that this is something that is going to change the face of owning a firearm in AB. This is just a symbolic gesture...
It is a vote catcher. Big grandstand no substance.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Many whiners don't know what they are whining about. They just wanna whine. I prefer not to whine at all. I don't mind that he did this, but you can't be fooled into thinking that this is something that is going to change the face of owning a firearm in AB. This is just a symbolic gesture...
Symbolic or otherwise, its helpful that its being discussed. We all know that Ottawa and the Liberals couldn't give a crap about Alberta and will continue giving us the 'talk to the hand' cold shoulder about anything that is important to us. Continuing on this path will backfire on them, and the more they do it, the greater the backfire will be. They're currently pandering to the misinformed and the stupid, and are intentionally spreading misinformation to create divide, that will never end well.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Symbolic or otherwise, its helpful that its being discussed. We all know that Ottawa and the Liberals couldn't give a crap about Alberta and will continue giving us the 'talk to the hand' cold shoulder about anything that is important to us. Continuing on this path will backfire on them, and the more they do it, the greater the backfire will be. They're currently pandering to the misinformed and the stupid, and are intentionally spreading misinformation to create divide, that will never end well.
Agreed. Actually quite surprised at the apathy & indifference from some posters, same guys that whine like a banshee when their guns are gone. Did they miss the part where other provinces have already beaten us to the punch?

Quebec's economy, laws, pensions, & autonomy are a result of having a strong provincial gov't that represented the wishes of the province's citizens, Ottawa be damned.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-04-2020, 11:29 AM

When is the lying dictator getting taken out of power? Never you say? Enjoy your slingshots! He just took over half year off, he can do what ever he wants, with no recourse, no accountability, there is only one way we can fix the problem, and it doesn’t involve “peace love and happiness”