Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-10-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Next Generation of shooters

Well, the day has come.

My very soon to be 11 year old daughter wants to come trap shooting tonight on our regular wed night. Bought her a little Mossberg 500 .410 (what is with the price of that ammo? )--which is probably no good for trap--but didn't want to scare her off with a 20 ga as she has only shot a .22 before. Will spend a little time on the pattern board and make sure she can handle it safely. Big brother gets the night off--he knows his stuff, but not quite comfortable with sending him off to do his rounds by himself at 13.

Looks like the perfect day for it--don't know what it is about Wednesdays--usually a damn hurricane!
Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 AM

Always a great moment when they show interest in the things we enjoy, makes for wonderful times if they stick with it.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:18 PM

Default just my opinion

but as a shooter of all gauges including a few 410 over unders I think a child starting out shooting with one will be seriously handicapped.
I started both my boys with 20 gauge youth shotguns with reduced loads and they loved every minute and started breaking clays pretty much right away. Even my tiny daughter in law had great success with a 28 gauge but then you are into the price of practice being expensive again. Pattern with 410 is about 4 times smaller at 22 to 30 yards than a 20 gauge so I consider them an "expert" level shotgun not a starting point.
glad to see them interested though but easier to sustain with success and half the cost of shooting those little 2.5 inch 410 shells
Rob
Old 06-10-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
but as a shooter of all gauges including a few 410 over unders I think a child starting out shooting with one will be seriously handicapped.
I started both my boys with 20 gauge youth shotguns with reduced loads and they loved every minute and started breaking clays pretty much right away. Even my tiny daughter in law had great success with a 28 gauge but then you are into the price of practice being expensive again. Pattern with 410 is about 4 times smaller at 22 to 30 yards than a 20 gauge so I consider them an "expert" level shotgun not a starting point.
glad to see them interested though but easier to sustain with success and half the cost of shooting those little 2.5 inch 410 shells
Rob
Bringing a 20 ga as well---agreed the .410 not ideal---more to get her used to recoil than really hitting anything
Old 06-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Well we have probably seen you there. The boy and I shot a few Wednesdays last year. None this year yet since the family moved out to Wab... but I am sure we will see you at some point this year

You are right, great day! Have fun!

Old 06-10-2020, 01:15 PM

Default yeah the advantage of the 410 is lighter

so young shooters can often balance it better and hold on shoulder properly 20 is often heavier so depends on her stature a bit. Found a baby frame 28 is the perfect compromise between weight and balance but those shell costs are crippling unless you reload a lot. my daughter in law was less than 100 pounds soaking wet and after initial instruction on stance facing where you expect to break bird vs where it is coming from and leaning into gun instead of trying to distance yourself from it she missed 11 learning the lead but then broke 17 straight. Good for you bringing another young shooter into the sport.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 PM

Having introduced many new shooters to trap and skeet, one thing stands out, if they break targets, it builds interest, if they don't break targets, many lose interest. I have watched several youths brought out by their parents , stand on the line for trap with a 410, miss 25 targets, then do it again, and again, and after that , they really weren't interested in trap at all. I would hand toss some targets for her, make it as as easy aspossible for her to actually hit some. Then progress to a hand thrower, and get her used to that. When she is comfortable, and is breaking targets, move her up to a 20 gauge, and then take here out to actual trap or skeet.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:36 PM

Great thread! I went the route of starting my 14 year old daughter with a 20g, she was already comfortable with my laminate stocked 7mm08 at that point. I found her a Remington 1100 LW by chance, and if you can find one I recommend them (I believe they were only made a couple of years in the 70s, but they show up from time to time)! It's perfect for a younger shooter, built on a 28 g receiver I believe, and with mahogany furniture instead of walnut. Light and fast, but fits her perfectly. She has spanked me a couple time shooting skeet with it, it's a fast pointing and swinging rig. Enjoy your time with your kids, it's the best investment you'll ever make.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-10-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Great thread! I went the route of starting my 14 year old daughter with a 20g, she was already comfortable with my laminate stocked 7mm08 at that point. I found her a Remington 1100 LW by chance, and if you can find one I recommend them (I believe they were only made a couple of years in the 70s, but they show up from time to time)! It's perfect for a younger shooter, built on a 28 g receiver I believe, and with mahogany furniture instead of walnut. Light and fast, but fits her perfectly. She has spanked me a couple time shooting skeet with it, it's a fast pointing and swinging rig. Enjoy your time with your kids, it's the best investment you'll ever make.
The 1100 lightweight had a 20 gauge receiver, but lighter stock and fore end. But a 20 gauge gas operated semi auto is a great choice for a young shooter, as it is light enough to hold and swing, but the gas action reduces recoil.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The 1100 lightweight had a 20 gauge receiver, but lighter stock and fore end. But a 20 gauge gas operated semi auto is a great choice for a young shooter, as it is light enough to hold and swing, but the gas action reduces recoil.
Yes, your are correct. It's been a while since I investigated that shotgun.....anyway, if you can find one they are a nice option. And, as an added bonus, my daughter thinks the scroll work on the receiver is 'pretty'....so there you go.

I told my daughter I was thinking of selling hers as she doesn't shoot much anymore (graduated, got a couple jobs)...

Her response was not unlike something I would say. Hurtful, yet hilarious!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-12-2020, 08:45 AM

Well ..... did she have fun?