Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Canoe hunting trip ideas

gents,

Me and a few friends are hoping to get out for a 4-6 day hunt around mid september this year, mainly after Elk and a Deer or Bear would be a bonus.
the way we want to hunt is by Canoeing down a river, stopping and stalking every now and then. None of us have never shot an Elk so im looking for a river that would offer an excellent chance at one, if anyone has any info or ideas for me that would be excellent.
Feel free to send me a PM or reply to this post.

cheers,
Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Don't forget your camo thongs
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 AM

So you are going to have to find a 3 or 4 day trip river with public land you can hunt on all the way. Too hard to try to get permission at every stop. If you are successful you are going to have to butcher or at least quarter the thing and have space for it in your canoe along with your camping gear and food, and you are going to have to keep it at the right temperature for 3 or 4 days. Could get warm.

Sounds fun but a little too complicated for me. LOL Do a 3 or 4 day fish and grouse trip.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM

I think the Grande Prairie area would be good. Little smokie, Wapiti etc.
Many tribs to start from too. That's a great idea and I would think a trip of a lifetime.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Yea im been looking at the little smoky, big smoky, athabasca and North Sask mainly.
definately alot of planning needed to keep meat good etc but its doable for sure, im hoping someone on here has had experience doing a trip or two like this and can give some pointers. Definately a trip of a life time if done right!

cheers,
Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM

I met a really down to earth fellow last year and did a moose canoe trip. It was one of the best experiences of my life. One thing I'll say is you have to have a plan on where you will camp and plan out your hours on the river. We ended up getting a bull moose and then paddled out the next day 11 hours straight which was supposed to be a 2 day paddle. Couldn't lift my arms after. Another thing is to pack your food and gear wise. There isnt much room in a canoe. Especially after you have an elk or moose in there.

Tags
canoe, elk