Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-24-2015, 08:16 AM

Default close range coyote shooting

First things first merry Christmas to you and your family, hope you all are having the best holidays.

now on to the question....Yesterday i went out and did some coyote calling and had a good morning calling in two different dogs on two different stands. I had spent a lot of time researching what gun to go with and at the end of the day i choose the Thompson center 22-250 which has been a great gun. Only issue i ran into yesterday was i ended up calling in a yote to 40 yards and when i dropped him with the 22-250 it seemed to be to much gun that close in range, but amazing gun for the further distance.

Whats a good close range gun? Shot gun,.22, is the 204 better for close range damage? I do have my Res license and not into trapping at this point, was hoping to call some in and start skinning/fleshing/etc from there before getting into trapping.

I would hate to have too switch up my caliber again hoping there might be a good gun to accompany me with my 22-250 but if there is a better all range gun let me know as well. looking forward to hearing from some experienced callers as this is only my 3 rd season. thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 08:20 AM

I have always had far more closer shots that would favour the 222 Remington than the further ones that would favour the 22/250.
Cat
Old 12-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Shot 8 this yr .17 hmr all shots under 80 yrds they do a couple circles and drop dead !
Old 12-24-2015, 08:27 AM
Gone Hunting

.204, 32gr. V-max(Hornady) or Varmageddon(Nosler) 32gr. FB tipped. Small entry and very rarely any damage to far side of pelt, but don't hit the shoulder-SPLASH!!!!
Old 12-24-2015, 08:27 AM

I really like the 17 Fireball for coyotes in close. For those that are a little farther out I like the 204 Ruger, never owned a 22-250 but from what I've heard they're hard to beat for longer ranges.

-Craig
Old 12-24-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
.204, 32gr. V-max(Hornady) or Varmageddon(Nosler) 32gr. FB tipped. Small entry and very rarely any damage to far side of pelt, but don't hit the shoulder-SPLASH!!!!
I think that might have been my issue on this Yote i smacked him in the shoulder and wow what a hole haha thought it might be the gun but maybe it was the shot placement.....

There brings another question when the Yote is facing you straight on where should you put the shot and I assume broadside needs to be right behind the shoulder?
Old 12-24-2015, 09:11 AM

I would recommend a shot gun for the close range shots. Have both guns with you when you sit.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

First of all Merry Christmas to you also Nuge.
Iv'e seen many threads on the best varmit rifle, but have never seen anyone agree on a single caliber, or bullet for that matter.
For a 2nd gun I would go to a .22LR for the closer shots. MUCH more accurate then a shotgun, easier to carry, and never underestimate the killing power of a 22LR. Also fur damage kept to a minumum.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:10 AM
AO Sponsor

DO NOT SHOOT COYOTES WITH SHOTGUNS!!!

(unless you aren't selling them)

Furriers absolutely hate coyotes that are shot with shotguns, especially the closer they are.

Many people shoot coyotes from a truck or snow machine with a shotgun. If you really have to do that, please do two things to keep the end user happy. Do not shoot at close range, instead take your shot at 30-40 yards. (If you wound one, finish it with a .22). Second, use very large shot, the biggest you can get your hands on.

Shotgun pellets do phenomenal amounts of damage. It is not simply the little holes to the leather/skin, but also the many pellets that graze thru the hair. Each little pellet will cut a little trail thru the hair and affect many "pieces" of the coyote. Coyotes are cut into many, many little pieces and the little pieces are neatly arranged in specific order to make the high end strips of today. Screw up a bunch of those pieces and many people would rather throw the coyote away than use them.

Talk to the Canada Goose strip builder guy (I know him well) and tell him you like using a shotgun, and he will have many F words for you and will give you a vebal thrashing. How knows, he might ever give you a working over.

I also know the people that build the strips for Cabelas, same thing.

(PS... I'm the NAFA guy in southern AB)
Old 12-24-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
There brings another question when the Yote is facing you straight on where should you put the shot and I assume broadside needs to be right behind the shoulder?
Jason de Jong, on his Coyote Canada site (http://www.coyotecanada.ca) has a really great section about shots based on different presentation, including actual shot data and photos. It starts about halfway down the Terminal Ballistics page. I found this very illustrative.

Something else I'd seen (can't remember where I'd come across this) was the recommendation to visualize in your mind the opposite side of the animal. A line connecting a theoretical exit point that passes through the heart & lungs will show you where to put your shot on an animal that is in a position other than fully broadside.

Important thing I should mention: I am parroting the wisdom and experience of others here, I have as yet to actually shoot a coyote myself. Working on that part though...
Old 12-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
I think that might have been my issue on this Yote i smacked him in the shoulder and wow what a hole haha thought it might be the gun but maybe it was the shot placement.....

It was likely a little bit of both. As you will see on this forum nobody will ever agree on "the best" coyote caliber just due to the multiple little factors that make a good yote gun. 22-250 at 40 yards is a bit much most of the time. When shooting my 22-250 i try to get them to stop at 100 yards if possible and if not i have found the straight on shot to be my best possible bet. For facing on shots i draw a line right down his nose to his chest in line with where his heart is (lots of diagrams online)

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 AM

I've used a 22-250 on coyotes since 1980 up until 4 years then switched to the 204 and see no reason to go back.
I'm using 40 gr V Max and knocking them down just as effectively as the 22-250 at all ranges but with much less pelt damage.
I've hit tom cats in the yard broad side with no exit wound so there is nothing to gain by down in bullet weight.
The 40 gr in a 204 will give you the same trajectory as a 55 gr out of a 22-250.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:56 AM

I carry my 264 Winmag (long range fun) or the 204 and a 22wmr for the close shots.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Are most of your shots at less than 300 yds? or more than 300yards?

If they are less then use a 223.

if most are more then use the 22.250.

Right tool for the job.
I have killed coyotes regularly with the 223 out to 400yds when conditions are right.

If I'm using the 220 Swift. I stop them at 200 yds.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Banned

In what way did you find your 22-250 too much gun for close in shots? Was it the size of the exit hole? Without buying a new caliber I think that your 22-250 is your best choice especially for when they don't come right in close. A .22lr works for 40 yd shots but then you'd be limited to only taking close in shots. Hey, sewing holes is part of the learning process for putting up coyotes....lol.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:22 PM

When you say it was too much gun, what exactly was produced?

Rather than trying a different caliber, I wonder if a different bullet type would cause less damage.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:

(unless you aren't selling them)

Furriers absolutely hate coyotes that are shot with shotguns, especially the closer they are.

Many people shoot coyotes from a truck or snow machine with a shotgun. If you really have to do that, please do two things to keep the end user happy. Do not shoot at close range, instead take your shot at 30-40 yards. (If you wound one, finish it with a .22). Second, use very large shot, the biggest you can get your hands on.

Shotgun pellets do phenomenal amounts of damage. It is not simply the little holes to the leather/skin, but also the many pellets that graze thru the hair. Each little pellet will cut a little trail thru the hair and affect many "pieces" of the coyote. Coyotes are cut into many, many little pieces and the little pieces are neatly arranged in specific order to make the high end strips of today. Screw up a bunch of those pieces and many people would rather throw the coyote away than use them.

Talk to the Canada Goose strip builder guy (I know him well) and tell him you like using a shotgun, and he will have many F words for you and will give you a vebal thrashing. How knows, he might ever give you a working over.

Interesting as I have had the exact opposite experience selling coyotes shot with shotgun. The local fur buyer gives me more for them due to the fact they are so easy to sew up (no ripping) and only a few holes but then I use buckshot 00. I could understand if you are using birdshot but I don't know many guys that do that while calling dogs. I have killed a ton of dogs in close with a shotgun and so do most of the guys I call with. Never heard of any issues selling fur either to a fur buyer or selling at the auction.

S
Old 12-24-2015, 03:37 PM

I would not change cal. it's not to much gun, try changing your bullet type.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Interesting as I have had the exact opposite experience selling coyotes shot with shotgun. The local fur buyer gives me more for them due to the fact they are so easy to sew up (no ripping) and only a few holes but then I use buckshot 00. I could understand if you are using birdshot but I don't know many guys that do that while calling dogs. I have killed a ton of dogs in close with a shotgun and so do most of the guys I call with. Never heard of any issues selling fur either to a fur buyer or selling at the auction.

S
I am another guy who has spent lots of time in the fur shed, working for the local buyer. Totally agree with Marty on this. Once it has been pointed out, there is no mistaking the tracks of many shot pellets leaving a trail of missing guard-hairs on the pelt.
If you're just doing it for the recreational aspect, go for whatever does the job best for ya, but if you're trying to make a living at it, shotguns should be avoided like the plague. Lots of better ways to harvest pelts and get a top dollar.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:50 PM

When I'm calling for coyotes, they usually show up within 80 yards. Just this year I'm considering keeping pelts so I'll switch from the 22250 to 17hmr. The 22250 is great for knocking them down at many distances, but I've only seen sizable damage. The coats look so great this year and there are so many of them I feel like I just have to keep some
Old 12-24-2015, 07:49 PM

Son got his first one with a .22 LR. Called him in close and that's all he was allowed to have.

Grizz
Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 PM

Default close encounters

I carry a .45colt carbine 16" barrel Chiappa that only weighs 5.8lbs. It's a sidekick to my sniper cal. of the day either 22-250 or .243. Shooting hard cast 250 gr. rnfp. at 1100 fps. or 250 hornady xtp's at 1300 fps. yet to be tested, but hey it's an alternative to the .45 peacemaker I had collecting dust in my safe. At least I can hunt with this thing and I love lever's, --- could even take a big bad wolf with it or even a bear, there's lot's of thump,
Old 12-24-2015, 10:12 PM

I'm going to try my 44mag with cast bullets, my theory is that I should have 2 holes of 1/2" each. We'll see.

Also, it's really fun to shoot.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

Talk to the Canada Goose strip builder guy (I know him well) and tell him you like using a shotgun, and he will have many F words for you and will give you a verbal thrashing. How knows, he might ever give you a working over.

You have to be kidding me. Due to the method I used to dispatch a coyote some dude would go nuts? I kinda want to poke this bear, know how I can get hold of him to bring him my next coyote?
Old 12-25-2015, 01:23 PM

I use h4895 with 55gr ballistic tips in my 22-250. You can safely reduce your loads to 60% of max with this powder so what I do is load reduced cartridges and paint the case heads black. When the need comes for a little less power it's there.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
You have to be kidding me. Due to the method I used to dispatch a coyote some dude would go nuts? I kinda want to poke this bear, know how I can get hold of him to bring him my next coyote?
If we ship inferior fur we drive down the average price and the damage isn't always evident until after the tanning, which the end user pays for.
This has an effect on all trappers profits not just the individual that ships damaged fur.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I am another guy who has spent lots of time in the fur shed, working for the local buyer. Totally agree with Marty on this. Once it has been pointed out, there is no mistaking the tracks of many shot pellets leaving a trail of missing guard-hairs on the pelt.
If you're just doing it for the recreational aspect, go for whatever does the job best for ya, but if you're trying to make a living at it, shotguns should be avoided like the plague. Lots of better ways to harvest pelts and get a top dollar.
00 has 9 pellets…I have a hard time believing you are going to find many if any tracks on a regular basis. The pattern just isn't that tight and all you need is one to kill.

There is nothing better in my opinion than a shotgun in close. I personally have killed a ton with a shotgun as hardly any get away in tight and I never had an issue selling them and the fur buyer has been doing it for decades. Again I am sure it matters what shot you are using.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
First of all Merry Christmas to you also Nuge.
Iv'e seen many threads on the best varmit rifle, but have never seen anyone agree on a single caliber, or bullet for that matter.
For a 2nd gun I would go to a .22LR for the closer shots. MUCH more accurate then a shotgun, easier to carry, and never underestimate the killing power of a 22LR. Also fur damage kept to a minumum.
What do you call "close shots" when using a .22? 40, 50 or anything under 100 yards. I have been invited on a coyote hunt and am wondering what caliber to take.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
What do you call "close shots" when using a .22? 40, 50 or anything under 100 yards. I have been invited on a coyote hunt and am wondering what caliber to take.
Small centerfire is best. 22 is good for dispatching wounded ones.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:43 PM

For anything under 100yrds you can't beat a22mag or 17hmr, cheap to shoot,quiet and deadly accurate.