Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 09:20 PM

Default Batted .1000 Today

I was so excited for today. Post storm. Nice and crisp. Not much wind but reasonably steady. All the signs were there when I left the house before sun up. But alas, I was slightly subdued in my departure, knowing that calling exploits would be interrupted by another trip to the Orthodontist - this time, my son. Better make the best of it.

Stand #1

Returning once more to the hill top I call from here, I snuggled in to the snow drift and briefly relived my previous double here. I let rip with a howl and hushed up. To the north of me, 3 or 4 coyotes lit up. I quickly adjusted myself to that direction and got some grey fox distress going. After a couple or three series and seeing nothing from the north, I glanced back to the south west and saw a coyote making its way in, about 400 yards out. I waited until it dropped into a swale and made my turn to get positioned. Every coyote coming from that direction has gravitated to the same general spot, crossing the big slough. I was ready. At roughly 150 yards, it stopped and was looking in my general direction. It was stopped and relaxed - may as well. BOOM! CHOP! and the coyote vanished. Imagine my surprise when 20 seconds later, I see it streaking back from whence it came. “What the hell?” Getting back on it, I could see blood all over its legs and stomach and realized I had hit it low. My leads felt good and I barely missed my next two shots. “Okay seriously. Get your poop in a group and finish this poor thing.” Now quartering and what I figured was 400ish yards, I touched off again. BOOOOOOOM! CHOP! A poof of snow in the scope where it piled up and it was over. Dropped my head and raised a finger to Heaven acknowledging whomever assisted me on that one. Pressed for time, I didn’t walk out for a picture.

Stand #2

Farming friend had said they have had a lot of coyotes around as of late. Calving for them begins soon and our last phone conversation ended with me having the run of the place.

I set up in a tree line and had a fairly commanding view of the surroundings. Well, grey fox produced last time. Let’s hit it again. Only a minute in, I saw a coyote break cover about 700 yards north of me. It covered about half of that distance and then sat down. For several minutes I tried different distress sounds. Tried mouth calls. Still it sat, content to keep its perch. “Must be a bitch” I thought to myself. Maybe a breeding sound? 5 seconds after unleashing some Cornered Hottie, it was closing fast. As it moved briefly behind some tall grass, I positioned myself with the rifle. At 135 yards, it stopped and the crosshairs settled on the shoulder. BOOM! CHOP! #2 for the morning was motionless in the snow. An adult Bitch.

At this point, I had to pull the pin and do some Dad Duty. 4 hours later, I was back out in the same general area. I had been meaning to do this one stand. Why on earth I left it until we got a bunch of snow, your guess is as good as mine. 2 miles one way. There is nowhere to hide the truck and if you want to call it, that’s your only option. I made my hike in.

Stand #3

I was only about 200 yards from the edge of the bush. Wind directly out of the south. The snow had drifted up pretty high on the fence line and with the angle of the sun now, there was a lovely pocket of shadow to tuck in. With the caller straight east of me, I decided to go with the mouth call and see if anything was close by in the Red Willow. “Twaaah… Twaah… Twah… Twah… Twah” and I hunkered in. I briefly looked down at my calls and when I looked up, a coyote was ripping towards me. Already under 100 yards and closing fast. Any of my movement was hidden by the snow bank and I semi readied myself for what would be a twisting, offhand shot with the shotgun. At 15 yards I made my twist and gave a lip squeak. It stopped but still hadn’t seen me as the load of #4 Buck found its face. I fired out some grey fox again with no response. Then broke into some howls, breeding sounds and finally some fight sounds. There had been magpies around steady and I was surprised I hadn’t had anything else show. Now 20 minutes into the set, I turned my head slightly and was astonished to see a coyote, no more than 8 yards away from me. My movement did not go unnoticed this time but, it didn’t spook either. It looked at me and took a few steps and repeated. I was debating taking another offhand, awkward shot when it started acting like it wanted to cross the fence. I gave a couple coaxes and a flick of the decoy and it launched to the other side of the fence, now completely focussed on the decoy. I let it close to 25 yards, as I was now in a comfortable shooting position and the game was mine. At the report of the shot, a rather unexpected shotgun double was mine. How that second coyote did not wind me, I will never know.

Stand #4

Wanting to call a completely different area as the wind was perfect, I hauled on it to relocate for a last set. This is normally, a regular spot of mine. I’ve enjoyed success on many occasions and more often than not, it produces multiples. I opted for a different hide than I usually call from. Don’t think I’ll do it again. It worked but, I prefer my normal hide. Getting situated on the edge of the tree line, fox was once again on the menu. Immediately, several magpies lifted from a willow patch that the coyotes will regularly emerge from. After several minutes of fox, rabbit and woodpecker; all I had for responses was the gaggle of Magpies in the trees above and around me. Switching to howls, breeding noises and then fight sounds; I still had no coyote respond. With all the tracks, there was no way at least one coyote wasn’t hearing me. I let rip with a fight challenge and then started cycling between pup distress and pup screams rapidly as I had done a few days ago. Back and forth, back and forth just begging to trigger a response. 24 minutes in now, I spied something that wasn’t there before above a little rise as a coyote materialized seconds later at about 200 yards. As it continued to close at a trot, I slowly made a couple small moves to get myself in position. As the crosshairs fell upon and followed the coyote, I gave a soft “WOOOO”. Coming to a slow stop and at full attention, I broke the trigger and a resounding BOOM! CHOP! once again echoed across the countryside. My fifth of the day and another adult Bitch. “Yes! Not a blank stand today and I killed every one that showed!”

Work will be picking up for me soon here and sadly, my Coyotecation is coming to an end. Hopefully it isn’t super windy tomorrow as I’d like to get just another two to round out my season. Guess we will see. This is about the time of year that I start getting calls from people calving so, there might be another couple rounds yet. Regardless, a good day considering. Hope you enjoy the read and pics. It’s a great time of year to be out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2024, 09:54 PM

Wow, another great day for you. Congrats on the fine harvest.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:50 AM

Great stories, love reading them. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:10 AM

Keep up the good work, and keep the stories coming.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:09 AM

Well done Lou, another great write up and it doesn't get any better than 100% that's sweet, the fire is burning in my belly and I'm starting to get back to normal but today we have near -40 wind chill here, warming a bit in the next couple days so may get out and try to bash a couple.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:09 AM

Very well done Lou.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:15 AM

Well done. Great stories.

BW
Old 02-28-2024, 09:35 AM

Great Stories, keep them coming.
Always a great read.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:53 AM

They look so peaceful.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:05 AM

Big Lou, Master of Boom Chop. You need that on a coffee cup, maybe hats and t shirts. Great story, as always.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-28-2024, 11:29 AM

Very well done Lou like always ,nice pics ,great story pleasure to read.

Keep them coming.

Cheers
JD
Old 02-28-2024, 02:09 PM

Nice job! And good shooting! It seems post storm is more productive than pre storm. Made 5 stands on Sunday and only had one to show for it.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-28-2024, 02:24 PM

Thanks guys. Happy to share.

TC - you slay me. Master of Boom Chop. Had a great laugh over that.

Tikka - I wholeheartedly agree on the back side vs front side of a front being more productive. At least you got one man! I was out this morning in the wind. Did four stands. Had a pair respond on my first. We were ripping howls back and forth. They appeared on the edge of some brush 110 yards away. The Tom was scratching and marking. I thought for sure they would close. Female bounced up to the Tom, they touched noses and then went frolicking back into the trees. I’m guessing they were in a “make love, not war” type of mood. Did not see that happening.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:47 PM

This is what I picture in my mind...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-28-2024, 04:00 PM

Oh that’s good stuff. I’m almost ashamed to say but, I played around with making one too.

Man, that name really makes me chuckle.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:26 PM

Yep. That belongs on your coffe mug.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:44 PM

Default Credit to the forum

Lou, you are a credit the forum. Love your pics and stories. Pitch perfect all the time. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:07 PM

Excellent read and pics. Congratulations on your success.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Lou, you are a credit the forum. Love your pics and stories. Pitch perfect all the time. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words man. So glad you enjoy. My pleasure.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender7 View Post
Excellent read and pics. Congratulations on your success.

Happy to share. Thank you Sir.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:56 PM

I was out this morning in the wind. It wasn’t happening. Went home to pout and had a nap. Wish I hadn’t napped because when I woke, the wind had died off considerably and it felt very coyote ish when I poked my head out the door. I had time for a quick set close to home. I hunt deer here and had been getting trail cam pics of coyotes close to this spot in the evenings. Set up right on the tree line with my entire downwind side open for shot opportunity. I was just playing distress as I figured they might be hungry after being hunkered down all day in the thick stuff. Caller was only 14 yards away. I could hear Magpies cackling and crooning at something around 10minutes in. The bush is so thick, you can’t see very far at all though. So I started with some mouse distress. I heard the sound of something hard on plastic and to my surprise, saw a coyote stretched out vertical jumping up and biting my speaker in the tree! It retreated 10’ or so and then came again and did the same thing. It was wild! It retreated and then started coming in with its belly on the ground looking up at the speaker. I couldn’t stand it any longer and gave it a facial with the shotty while it was right under the speaker, ready to attack once more. Absolutely, one of the more cool things I’ve experienced calling. Another Bitch down.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:32 PM

Awsum Lou. You must be right around 60 for the season.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Awsum Lou. You must be right around 60 for the season.
It was awesome! One shy of that sum yes.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:03 AM

That's super cool! I'm amazed your scent on the call didn't deter it!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-02-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
That's super cool! I'm amazed your scent on the call didn't deter it!
I thought the same thing. All I can figure is it is a factor of the gloves I’ve been running all winter. I have not washed them once and to say that they smell like a coyote - oh boy - understatement. I think the cocktail of scents commingling in those hand socks is covering anything I’m contributing.

How’s the Gun Show? I was trying to talk someone, anyone really into going tomorrow morning but I’ve drawn blanks steady.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:04 PM

The weather sucks here, too windy and heavy snow ,coyote hunting delayed again.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The weather sucks here, too windy and heavy snow ,coyote hunting delayed again.
Sucks is right. I had 5 coyotes engaged in an orgy on the back of my place for about 6 hours today. Wind couldn’t have been worse to try for them. Thats been awful hard to watch on the cell cam today.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:04 PM

Great events thanks for the stories.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB