Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 PM

Default Minnewanka Ice Status?

Any word on how Minnewanka is looking for this sunday? Do we need an auger?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 AM

bump
Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

90% positive it is still frozen. and you are not allowed to ice fish a national park
Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM

thanks for the reply, ya i figured that was the obvious case, but when i read the regulations, it never said anywhere about ice fishing restrictions on this lake if its open to fishing. If anyone can find otherwise, please show me where in the regs
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

thats because the regs we have are provincial regulations. National park water regulations are different. you could find them on line. ill see if i can find them and post them. or if anyone else knows a link to them, please post them,
Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
thanks for the reply, ya i figured that was the obvious case, but when i read the regulations, it never said anywhere about ice fishing restrictions on this lake if its open to fishing. If anyone can find otherwise, please show me where in the regs
Critter i spent almost 1 hour on the phone asking that very same question....it a long drawn out kinda political answer. too much for me to type....pm me your telly number and i'll explain.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 PM

This year is certainly a big difference for Minnewanka compared to 2005 and 2006. Those years, the ice was well off of Minnewanka before the long weekend and the weather was from the mid 20s to low 30s.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Critter i spent almost 1 hour on the phone asking that very same question....it a long drawn out kinda political answer. too much for me to type....pm me your telly number and i'll explain.
here's the thread from the other week. regs are pasted on my reply #16. chubb why would it not be a yea, or nay answer? i saw nothing stating nay is the research i've done.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=89300
Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Didn't Dace post a link to the ice-fishing question a few days ago?

There's something ominous about Minny,, Spray is very deep too as is Ghost in parts but Minny, creeps me for thinking of ice fishing. But I know a spot that would be stellar.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

i stand corrected........ i thought i read somewhere that you cant but have at 'er. i am just going to saunter back to the fishing discussion embarrassed........
Old 05-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
here's the thread from the other week. regs are pasted on my reply #17. chubb why would it not be a yea, or nay answer? i saw nothing stating nay is the research i've done.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=89300
i'll try explain
the parks department has the authority to change the regulations minute to minute.
yes we fish some sketchy ice.
they will deem the ice unsafe on opening day and close the lake if its still icecovered. It will require the lake to be in full blown winter mode to allow fisherman on the ice. Signs will be posted closing fishing
parks officials believe the ice will be gone opening day

sorry i hate to type out much of what he said
Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
i'll try explain
the parks department has the authority to change the regulations minute to minute.
yes we fish some sketchy ice.
they will deem the ice unsafe on opening day and close the lake if its still icecovered. It will require the lake to be in full blown winter mode to allow fisherman on the ice. Signs will be posted closing fishing
parks officials believe the ice will be gone opening day

sorry i hate to type out much of what he said
that's how i read into it after reading Mcleod's post in the other thread. in your hour long conversation did you at least find out if ranger rick likes doughnuts and coffee, or do we need to bring something a little stronger to persuade him.........
Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

So if there is Ice still on Minny and you shimmied an aluminum punt out onto the ice (with all the safety gear and such) and ice fished from a boat, would that be legal (if there weren't signs and it was open season)? I'm not trying to be a goof by the way.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
that's how i read into it after reading Mcleod's post in the other thread. in your hour long conversation did you at least find out if ranger rick likes doughnuts and coffee, or do we need to bring something a little stronger to persuade him.........
it went kinda sideways.....he actually started to interogate my purpose of wanting to know....i bit my tongue and tryed to stay cool.
i told him if i come with the Lund and a auger that should garantee i can fish on opening day right?.....answer .....No there will be signs up closing the lake if its icecovered.

thats all im saying now
Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM

@GustavMahler- I think you could absolutely do that, as it doesnt seem unethical in the least, and its at your own risk anyway. Heres the national parks regs, and it just says when the lakes open to fishing, NOT if its ice covered. Im really considering it.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/...14a.aspx#Banff
Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

you can Not Icefish in banff national park. argue all you want but you cant. i have friends that have lived there for years and its a not allowed.

"Even at the height of winter, there are fish to be caught in the Banff area, although not on lakes within the boundaries of Banff National Park "

http://www.banff.ca/activities-event...ce-fishing.htm

thats from the town of banff website.

also " This brochure is NOT a complete listing of the National Parks Fishing Regulations and has no legal status. More information is available from park wardens and park information centres. "

thats from the fishing regs brochure your reading.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...14a.aspx#Banff

Last edited by icefisher11; 05-16-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefisher11 View Post
you can Not Icefish in banff national park. argue all you want but you cant. i have friends that have lived there for years and its a not allowed.

"Even at the height of winter, there are fish to be caught in the Banff area, although not on lakes within the boundaries of Banff National Park "

http://www.banff.ca/activities-event...ce-fishing.htm

thats from the town of banff website.

also " This brochure is NOT a complete listing of the National Parks Fishing Regulations and has no legal status. More information is available from park wardens and park information centres. "
thats from the fishing regs brochure your reading.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...14a.aspx#Banff
Ice fishing is not banned in the parks ..There are criteria in which ice fishing can be halted by the superintendent or wardens as I outlined in an earlier post. The Superintendent still has to make a public declaration like he has on muskrat bay on Johnson lake. Now wardens can stopped you from going ice fishing if they see you on the lake do to safety issues just like they can in the summer if they think you are at risk.
But if no one does anything ( wardens/ super ) then you could legally ice fish.

In the case of Minni why even consider it ?
There is a lake in Jasper though at 1600 meters that you could safely ice fish come saturday..

\
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Wow Unbelievable

From a simple question about if the ice was off Minniwanka we went into a serious discussion about ice fishing the lake. A question that is not even worth discussing. I have fished Minniwanka for to many years to mention on may long. And it never fails everytime we have a late winter everyone wonders if the ice will be off, many of my friends included. I always knew no matter what the lake always got enough warm weather and wind to knock the ice off in time for our annual trip.
The closest thing I ever saw to the ice not coming off in time was one trip where the ice was off only about a third of the way down the lake the first morning. Which was cool as the fish were hanging just under the still frozen part. Then by day 2 we were able to go all the way to the far end, however all the ice that had washed against the south shore managed to drift across the entire lake by the time we wanted to go back. So the Lund became an Ice shifter(not breaker as it was big chunks of busted ice) kind of cool actually. By dat 3 totally clear of ice and the entire weekend was smokin hot for fishing. And to think my buddies wanted to go somewhere else.
So I say go for it it will come off in time to fish May Long.

Just my thoughts

Alex Kreis
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
From a simple question about if the ice was off Minniwanka we went into a serious discussion about ice fishing the lake. A question that is not even worth discussing. I have fished Minniwanka for to many years to mention on may long. And it never fails everytime we have a late winter everyone wonders if the ice will be off, many of my friends included. I always knew no matter what the lake always got enough warm weather and wind to knock the ice off in time for our annual trip.
The closest thing I ever saw to the ice not coming off in time was one trip where the ice was off only about a third of the way down the lake the first morning. Which was cool as the fish were hanging just under the still frozen part. Then by day 2 we were able to go all the way to the far end, however all the ice that had washed against the south shore managed to drift across the entire lake by the time we wanted to go back. So the Lund became an Ice shifter(not breaker as it was big chunks of busted ice) kind of cool actually. By dat 3 totally clear of ice and the entire weekend was smokin hot for fishing. And to think my buddies wanted to go somewhere else.
So I say go for it it will come off in time to fish May Long.

Just my thoughts

Alex Kreis

While you make some valid points , but when someone asks a question or makes a statement that is inaccurate then an effort should be made by those who use this forum to give the correct the information. Especially those in know or who have experience. I have seen many times on forums a posts where clearily an individual has no idea about fishing regulations including when bodies of water are open to angling. The comment was made about
ice fishing in national parks so why would we not comment on the regulations.

As for fishing Minniwanka you are dead on . evn if it was frozen why go the lake..you are risking you life..Just like I would not fishing the lake in my 12 ft.
Cheers..Thanks for your input. You have lots to offer those on this forum.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Default As per thread last week...

South end looks to be ice covered as of this morning:

http://www.explorerockies.com/banff-webcam/

Real time camera from the top of Sulphur Mountain. Click to enlarge. Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:00 PM

is there just lake trout in that huge lake, as well there are many people missing from that lake from the past, many boaters and fishermen have went missing from that lake, guess it is a deep lake, and i would not take my pontoon boat in there, probably just fish from shore.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
is there just lake trout in that huge lake, as well there are many people missing from that lake from the past, many boaters and fishermen have went missing from that lake, guess it is a deep lake, and i would not take my pontoon boat in there, probably just fish from shore.
Yeah... the winds can really whip up on that lake and make massive waves in no time. I was fishing that lake in 2007 and it was very calm out. Just minutes later, a viciouse wind roared up and in 3 minutes there were waves coming over the Bow!

I made it back to the boat launch soaked and freezing. From now on, unless the forecast says no wind and perfectly sunny weather, I'm not going to be travelling very far in my 12ft aluminum boat again.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the link Heavy K... Looks like shes still got a nice chunk of ice on her.. Its gonna be ****ty weather and rainy all weekend anyway unfortunately, but a guy must be able to find enough open water near shore to at least cast from shore all day if nothin else. Ill definitaley be going sunday or monday