Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your preferred style for your bolt action walking rifle.
Detachable magazine 251 55.90%
Hinged floorplate / Internal box 198 44.10%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Bolt action walking

Hinged floorplate.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM

I would never own a rifle without a dbm. That eliminates many. Had one with a blind mag once and it classifies as one of the worst things I ever bought. Didn't keep it long.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:33 PM

I have sold Many, Many, Many guns, not a single one was sold due to the mag system it had. There are relatively few LH bolt actions with DMs. If that were a significant criteria it would severely limit and already limited range of choices.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:59 PM

I am gonna start a season with Parker Hale DM and end it with hinged floorplate Rem and Win .
But not because of the loading , but more about the caliber and the barrel length thing.
Like them about the same for what the are.
Both perform very good.
S12
Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Hinged/Detachable

This is Voere's approach with their K-15.Voere K-15 003 (800x600) (2).jpg
Old 07-26-2018, 08:25 AM

I voted detachable,I do use hinged also on a couple rifles but i find a detachable is quicker for me.I really like the browning bar style with mag clip into a hinged.I had a friend loose a detachable one time but I never have.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 AM

How do you have time to dump your beer, and unload your gun if you’re not using detachable mags?
Old 07-26-2018, 05:41 PM

I like the hinged floorplate. When I empty the rifle, I place my bullets in a holder on the stock of the rifle.
That way nothing ever gets lost and it's a double check that the rifle is empty.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Hinged floorplate

Hinged floorplate for me, I tend to lose things, I had a lot of concussions when I was younger?😜
Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My favourite is the Mannlicher Schoenaur magazine system!

Cat

This is my favourite as well.

I would choose hinged floorplate next. I don’t even know if I can explain why. Something about dumping the rounds out is satisfying. As someone else mentioned, I like thinking over the hunt and walk back to the house/vehicle while I gather the remaining rounds and put things back in their rightful places.

For anyone who has not used the rotary mag of the mannlicher, it truly is a thing of beauty. I can get 5 in my 7x57 and they blast out the top so fast into my hand it is a marvel of design.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:37 PM

With general hunting season coming up, what are people going with. Vote if you haven't already.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Blind mag or Floorplate. I treat the floorplate ones like they are blind magazines and never actually open or use the floorplate.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:38 PM

Detachable magazine.

Slide it in, loaded, hit a button and it falls out, unloaded. I like the simplicity and easy of use.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For those not familiar with the Mannlicher magazine, the little button you see on the receiver gets pushed and the cartridges flip right out into your hand!!
Cat
That is a beautiful rifle. I'm in search of one with a manlicher stock like that.
Brad
Old 09-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Blind mag or Floorplate. I treat the floorplate ones like they are blind magazines and never actually open or use the floorplate.
I feel that using the floorplate to unload is pretty convenient, never ever felt the urge to try loading that way though, though I've seen it done.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Definitely a detachable mag, would never own a hinged plate way to big of PIA. Been hunting for over 40 years with numerous mag rifles and have never lost a mag yet and have never heard hunting partners mention that they ever lost theirs either so for me that is not a consideration. Suppose it could happen though.
Same here,I’ve never lost a mag and most of my rifles have been DM....in fact,I have a spare mag for most of those which I carry spare ammo in my pocket.Ive never needed the extra mag to blaze away at an animal,it’s just convenient way to carry ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you of anything, but if you open the drop plate and flip your gun upside down you can load your rifle twice as fast as you can load a dm, and if you use the same method you can unload your rifle just by tipping your rifle upright.

I actually enjoy walking up to my vehicle and unloading my rifle, I always use that little bit of time to reflect on my hunt as I take my pack off, heavy cloths, unload my rifle, 10 seconds either way has never made a difference. I do drop a few bullets in the snow but meh, that's how it goes sometimes.
I’d take that bet any day,no way you can load a floor plate faster then I can slap in a mag,never mind twice as fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I'm sure it happens, but I think it's one of those things that get repeated often enough that some people think it more common that it actually is. Story gets retold; " I know a guy ..... blah blah blah"

Love dm for coyote hunting.
My thoughts exactly,I wonder who all these klutzes are that lose and misplace their mags,nobody I know.I think I’d be a lot more likely to lose and misplace loose rounds or be scrambling and searching through 17 pockets to find them.
Also love the DM for hunting yotes where I might be in and out of truck 10-15x/day....or any kind of travel between locations for that matter,quad or truck,deer or yotes... wutever?Not much of a road hunter really but let’s face it,unless you walk out your back door to hunt most of us travel to our spots and a DM is much quicker to load your rifle if you need to in a hurry.

I wouldn’t NOT buy a rifle because it’s a floor plate,again I’ve owned both,it’s not a deal breaker if I liked the rifle and a good deal,but my general preference has always been a DM.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post

I’d take that bet any day,no way you can load a floor plate faster then I can slap in a mag,never mind twice as fast.

I don’t think you read what he said as he described it.
Are you saying you can put 4 rounds into the dbm then slap it into the rifle faster than someone can open a florrplate, drop 4 rounds into the upside down rifle and click it closed?
Old 09-15-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Are you saying you can put 4 rounds into the dbm then slap it into the rifle faster than someone can open a florrplate, drop 4 rounds into the upside down rifle and click it closed?
Since we are talking about speed here... why bother with four rounds at all? I literally never need to load my rifle quickly because I don't hunt from a motorized vehicle, ever, but I will bet I can get one or two rounds into an internal mag system at least as fast as anyone can slap in a detatchable mag.

I've never lost a detachable mag, I've never had trouble loading or unloading an internal, the loading speed is a non issue as far as I'm concerned... I just like detachable mags less than I like anything else. To me they just seem like a goofy gimmick, an answer to a problem that never existed, and therefore if I have the option I'd rather not have one.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:40 PM

Funny thing... I pulled my elk rifle out of my offsite storage yesterday to get ready for the rifle opener on Monday. Reading the title to this thread I opened it and voted for the box mag (browning config with the floorplate) which I really like, my immediate next thought was "holy S##t I don't remember picking up the mag out of the locker and ran upstairs to check and make sure I had it. (I do), but that little excersize does illustrate the problem.
I like my BDL's with the floorplate's too but just find the mag simpler to operate, as long as you know where it is...
Old 09-15-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I guess in hindsight I misunderstood Kurt,I can see how his method would be faster then actually stuffing a mag full of ammo,but I have the same 2 mags stuffed full all season,usually one in my front right pocket and one on the console when travelling which goes in the rifle when I get there,pretty sure I can slap a full mag into my rifles PDQ.
Again,I don’t dislike floor plates,in fact I’d say they and blind mags are generally sexier rifles,lol...but Sako/Fierce style flush mount DMs are pretty sleek as well and nice to carry,not a big fan of single stack mags that protrude below the stock too far,usually right at the balance point of the rifle too.....but for run n gun yote calling I like a DM and/or anytime you are travelling between locations where road hunting is allowed a DM is much faster to make ready IMHO.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you of anything, but if you open the drop plate and flip your gun upside down you can load your rifle twice as fast as you can load a dm, and if you use the same method you can unload your rifle just by tipping your rifle upright.

I actually enjoy walking up to my vehicle and unloading my rifle, I always use that little bit of time to reflect on my hunt as I take my pack off, heavy cloths, unload my rifle, 10 seconds either way has never made a difference. I do drop a few bullets in the snow but meh, that's how it goes sometimes.
Ive heard of this idea lots. Whenever ive tried it i had no issue with dropping 4 rounds into the open box and closing the floorplate, but the rounds dont stack neatly like they do when you top load. And then they dont find the feeding ramp and jam up. Do you have to make sure the last round is on a certain side to meet the floorplate properly? Teach me your ways kurt.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Browning abolt. Best and worst of both worlds.

I use whatever the rifle has and I've never felt one way or another.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Ive heard of this idea lots. Whenever ive tried it i had no issue with dropping 4 rounds into the open box and closing the floorplate, but the rounds dont stack neatly like they do when you top load. And then they dont find the feeding ramp and jam up. Do you have to make sure the last round is on a certain side to meet the floorplate properly? Teach me your ways kurt.
I’ve never had the problem you’re talking about, I don’t know what you’re doing wrong. Maybe it’s your rifle that’s the problem? Are you left handed?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 PM

Hinged floor-plate allows more bullet seat out especially for lead free pills like Barnes etc.
My Sendero 300WM has a long throat also and likes em seated just off the lands.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
How do you have time to dump your beer, and unload your gun if you’re not using detachable mags?
^^This
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I’ve never had the problem you’re talking about, I don’t know what you’re doing wrong. Maybe it’s your rifle that’s the problem? Are you left handed?
Ive tried neatly stacking them instead of just tossing in 4, and the same thing, they dont seem to find their nice feeding positions the same when i do the upside down loading thing.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ive tried neatly stacking them instead of just tossing in 4, and the same thing, they dont seem to find their nice feeding positions the same when i do the upside down loading thing.
What kind of rifle? I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
What kind of rifle? I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight.
Ruger Hawkeye. feeds excellent if fed from the top. I just havent gotten the hang of consistently being trouble free with upside down loading, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I think its a relationship with the magazine follower matching up with the rounds.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ruger Hawkeye. feeds excellent if fed from the top. I just havent gotten the hang of consistently being trouble free with upside down loading, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I think its a relationship with the magazine follower matching up with the rounds.
Maybe try loading one less then capacity.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Must be different at the top end where the bolt is from the Winchester? I’ve never had an issue, but now that I’ve said that I’m sure my next time out I’ll have a problem.

Blind mag, drop plate and removable mag, I own them all, along with a Ruger #1, and I like them all. Honestly 9 times out of 10 it only takes 1 shot, I can’t think of a time in recent history that I lost an opportunity at an animal because of the mag style. I can remember a couple specific times when someone forgot their removable mag at home when they went out hunting and were left with a single shot.

A blind mag theoretically will be the most rigid stock design and therefore the most accurate stock design, it will also be the lightest. The drop plate will be the second lightest design and as mentioned above should leave room for longer rounds, I think this really is the best design myself. There is no doubt that the least amount of hassle will be the the removable magazine so long as you don’t forget it or lose it, and it’s by far the best design for road hunting, although the Ruger #1 is just as fast to load. I gotta say, for a rifle without any magazine those little Rugers seem to be heavy.