Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Here's a novel that I wrote and it will be ready to order on Amazon on April 11, 2019. It's about a bowhunting trip and since everyone on this site loves hunting, I think you guys may enjoy reading it. It's a horror story and does get quite graphic and violent later on in the story, so if horror is not your thing you would not enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skudakumooch front cover.jpg (58.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Skudakumooch back cover.jpg (56.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM

I am currentl reading House of Cards book. It's alright but the netflix series is better. Than I am reading Dexter Omnibus. Again, the book is alright but tv series is something else! But what I can recommend is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Just finished "The Invisible Hook" by Peter Leeson. It's about Pirate economics mainly in the 18th century during the golden age of pirates. A very interesting read. It was generally a lot more democratic and lucrative being a pirate as opposed to a Merchant sailor or any other legal seagoing trade other than the getting hanged if you were caught thing. They had inventive ways around that as well.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 AM

CJ Box has a new book out called "Wolf Pack" I haven't read it yet but have a hold on it at the Library, Its about the adventures of fictional Wyoming game warden Joe Picket. These are always a good read.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Kind of forgot about this thread....but looking for something new and interesting to read, if anyone could suggest something?

Lately I've been re- reading Hemingway again, still one of my favorite writers. Finished For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises.

Previous to that I downloaded just about every western book Max Brand ever wrote, I think I spent three months just decompressing and reading about cowboys and horses and outlaws and prospectors and sheriffs and....fluff. But took my mind off all the heavy reading I had been doing.

And then I downloaded the Duolingo app and have been working on learning Spanish for two and a half months. Enjoying that. But looking for something to read. Anyone got a good book to recommend?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-03-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Kind of forgot about this thread....but looking for something new and interesting to read, if anyone could suggest something?

Lately I've been re- reading Hemingway again, still one of my favorite writers. Finished For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises.

Previous to that I downloaded just about every western book Max Brand ever wrote, I think I spent three months just decompressing and reading about cowboys and horses and outlaws and prospectors and sheriffs and....fluff. But took my mind off all the heavy reading I had been doing.

And then I downloaded the Duolingo app and have been working on learning Spanish for two and a half months. Enjoying that. But looking for something to read. Anyone got a good book to recommend?
My favorite read of all time. Starts a little slow, but perseverance will be rewarded.
https://www.amazon.ca/Swan-Song-Robe...8101546&sr=8-1

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-03-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Whatcha lookin for TC? Easy reads? Novel? Documentary?
Easy interesting read is a series by Conn Iggulden on Genghis Khan, he also does a series on Julius caesar that is pretty good
Just started a book by Nick Irving called "the Reaper" about his tour on duty in Afghanistan
Old 01-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Whatcha lookin for TC? Easy reads? Novel? Documentary?
Easy interesting read is a series by Conn Iggulden on Genghis Khan, he also does a series on Julius caesar that is pretty good
Just started a book by Nick Irving called "the Reaper" about his tour on duty in Afghanistan
I have a broad interest in reading. I just got the Kindle version of Swan Song as recommended above, read the description on it and sounded interesting, so will give it a whirl.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-03-2020, 08:12 PM
Banned

Sniper One is an excellent riveting read,,,the UK version of the Iraq war.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sniper-One-Bli.../dp/0141029013

Old 01-03-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I have a broad interest in reading. I just got the Kindle version of Swan Song as recommended above, read the description on it and sounded interesting, so will give it a whirl.
Give those Conn iggulden ones a shot and let me know what you think. Everyone I have recommended them to has really enjoyed them. I read a quite a bit so once you need a top up on more let me know and I will fire a few more off lol
Old 01-03-2020, 08:22 PM

Currently reading "The Pokey Little Puppy" for the zillionth time. No violence or gratuitous sex there!
Old 01-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Later I'll pull out my autographed copy of "Mr. Bear Squash You All Flat"
Old 01-03-2020, 08:57 PM

Default James Herriot

Many years ago, wandering aimlessly around at a gun show, nothing really catching my eyes that I absolutely needed!

However I did notice some great books By james Herriot, all animals great and small, It shouldn't happen to a vet, let sleeping vets lie. I leafed through them all, and bought them on the spot. They are a good read!

Also found some great tiger hunting books, Man -eating tigers of india, authored by Samuel White Baker

Man-Eaters of Kumaon, authored by Jim Corbett, a fantastic read!!

Along with many African books by Capstick, Ruark, Hemingway, etc

Good Thread !!
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 PM
Banned

In the last 4 weeks have read

The Red fighter Pilot - Manfred Von Richthofen
Death in the long Grass - Peter Capstick
Horned Death - John Burger
The last ivory hunter - Peter Capstick

And am currently on the book “Devils Guard” by George Elflord. This book is in the top 10 list of books read by active US military personal and the only one on the list that is Militaristic in nature.

My next book, which will be sometime next week, will be “Death in the Dark continent” by Peter Capstick.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
And to round it out, I read Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life recently. I won't go into it in depth, suffice to say I really enjoyed the down to earth, practical, common sense of the book, though I did find that on occasion he got into the deep end of the pool a bit. I suppose that is to be expected, he is an obviously highly intelligent man, he thinks things through on a deep level. I completely recommend this one, it's a best seller for a reason. My son is reading it and enjoying it currently.
"12 Rules for Life" was a pretty weak book in my opinion. Boring, poorly written, and intellectually weak.

I normally only read classics, such as books published in the Penguin Classics series. I suppose those are all the greatest books ever written which stood the test of time, so it's not surprising something like "12 Rules for Life" would look bad in comparison. 99% of books written this decade are probably not on par with the classics.

At the moment I am reading the works of Marquis de Sade. I find them very interesting, comical, and intellectual. Definitely would offend a lot of people, however.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:34 AM

Any of the Aubrey and Maturin series Patrick O'Brian are worth the read. Or you can get them on audiobooks, and with Patrick Tull narrating are worth listening to.

Been reading some Capstick as well lately, Death in the Long Grass, Death on the Dark Continent and The Last Ivory Hunter. Very interesting reads, enough to convince me to convince my wife to come with me to Africa for my 40th to go hunting.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=moosepasture;4085570]"12 Rules for Life" was a pretty weak book in my opinion. Boring, poorly written, and intellectually

Disagree
Would give it to my kids as a wedding gift, that's how brilliant it is written.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:24 PM

Well....as we all probably have some time to do some reading now...

I recently read a review on a book called Savage Messiah, a biography about Jordan Peterson, written by Jim Proser. It sounded interesting and it offended lots of people, so I downloaded it.

I'm halfway through, but really enjoying it. You kind of have to get past the author's ardent fanboy bias, but it's a really engaging read so far. Interesting to understand a bit where Professor Peterson comes from and what he has gone through. I recommend it.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:08 PM
Banned

Finished the devils guard, read Cujo, the first 3 dark tower novels, the first Harry Hole novel, and another African hunting novel or 2
Old 03-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Banned

Am in the middle of ‘Quiet For a Tuesday’ fascinating account of an ex RAF member driving across the Sahara alone

https://ryanmurdock.com/2009/06/quiet_for_a_tuesday/
Old 03-21-2020, 05:09 PM

The last 5 I've read, a total trail mix in terms of genres, just the way I like it

Black Elk Speaks - John Neihardt
The Martian - Andy Weir
Extreme Ownership - Jocko Willink
Stillness Is The Key - Ryan Holiday
The Sports Gene - David Epstein
Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Sniper One is an excellent riveting read,,,the UK version of the Iraq war.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sniper-One-Bli.../dp/0141029013

I just finished reading this on your recommendation. I thought it was very candid and real, a good read for sure.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 PM

I just finished reading a quick read I never read as a kid. Was a fun story. Treasure Island.

Also have started reading this book online. It is interesting so far. It is a first person accounting of the early west. Mostly from south of the Canadian border but he also came across the border in the early 1800's.

"The Fur Hunters of the Far West: A Narrative of the Adventures in the Oregon and the Rocky Mountains." Written by Alexander Ross in 1855.

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collecti...4632#p7z-5r0f:
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Since we all have a little bit more time on our hands I have found myself reading some books that have been sitting for awhile. I have just finished Game Change by Ken Dryden and I found it fantastic. If any of you guys are interested in Hockey and a story of a player this book is fantastic. It goes over the history of hockey and where it is going while sharing lots of real life stories. I would highly recommenced this book to any Hockey fan out there.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Just finished "Beyond the Trees" by Adam Shoalts....a first person account of his solo canoe/hike trip from the Yukon to Baker Lake ( 4000k) during the summer of 2017. This guy actually paddled/poled upstream on a lot of the rivers involved including the McKenzie. talk about isolation.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 PM

If you like fantasy try The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. I've read them 3 or 4 times. Book 7 I'm hoping will be out soon. It's been 2 years or so since book 6 came out.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:12 PM

Going digging in the basement tomorrow for some Sid Marty
Old 06-10-2020, 08:00 PM

Default Jack Carr

Wondering if anyone amhas read any of Jack Carr's book. They seem to be sold out kn Amazon, but wondering what the thoughts on here are?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:11 PM
Banned

Recommend reading books from Thomas Sowell. Especially "Basic Economics", "Applied Economics", "Economic Facts and Fallacies".

Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover". And "The Little Book of Common Sense Investin - John C. Bogle"
Old 06-11-2020, 07:14 AM

I recently read Adam Shoalt's - Alone Against the North.
He is one young, crazy, near suicidal canoe explorer.