Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:32 AM

I would like to hear the neighbor's side of the story, it's probably very different.

When I decided to build a fence, both neighbors were not interested, so I built the fence myself, just inside the property line. Both of those neighbors have since moved, and the current neighbors would likely be willing to pay their share, if the fence needed to be replaced.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:34 AM

"Good fences make good neighbors" - Robert Frost
Old 05-18-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have had neighbors like you. Too busy to help, lots of time to sit on the deck and drink beer though, too tight to cough $400 to cover half the cost and still wants to tell me how I am going to do the job. In the time you have been complaining on here you could have built half the fence. You seriously want to call the Cops over a fence. Not much wonder your neighbor is a little ****ed off. Generally find you get what you give, your bad attitude will be directly reflected in his.
At first I was on OP's side but as more of the story comes out, not so much.

So you told the neighbor that you didn't have time or money to build a fence but told him you want a 48 foot fence instead of the 32 foot fence he's building?

Also, why is it that so many people always threaten to call the cops? You're wanting to call the cops over the guy next door building a fence? I have threatened to call the cops 0 times in my life.

Maybe I just don't understand because I have great neighbors who both live over a quarter mile away. Always looking out for each others place, lending and borrowing tools and materials, helping at a phone calls notice.

I'm glad OP is not my neighbor...
Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
At first I was on OP's side but as more of the story comes out, not so much.

So you told the neighbor that you didn't have time or money to build a fence but told him you want a 48 foot fence instead of the 32 foot fence he's building?

Also, why is it that so many people always threaten to call the cops? You're wanting to call the cops over the guy next door building a fence? I have threatened to call the cops 0 times in my life.

Maybe I just don't understand because I have great neighbors who both live over a quarter mile away. Always looking out for each others place, lending and borrowing tools and materials, helping at a phone calls notice.

I'm glad OP is not my neighbor...

I suspect the police idea came into play when the guy was threatening the OP and calling on him to fight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wherever you live just call the city and they will explain or provide you documentation as to what's what.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Banned

All he has to do is build the fence so that it is completely on his side which is only 2.5 inchs on his side of the property line and he can paint whatever he wants on the side you look at but he cant stand on your land to do it. But you dont have to pay for any of it. How would he know if you painted it over if he cant come on your land lol, your obviously have had other problems for this fence issue to come up
Old 05-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I just do not get it.
Why would you not want a fence separating you & him !..??
$300-400 seems a tiny price to not only have a barrier, but also cease any child
like games this neighbor seems like he is now going play to make you pay.
This^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnisap View Post
Well his attitude..threatens to make me pay is not the right way. he dont want discussion, he want his way or no....There is noway he can make me pay for which am not agreeing.
Sounds like it’s your way or no way as well. I’d like to heR your neighbours side of this child like argument!

BW
Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Doesn't make sense. You should be forking over $400 in a heartbeat. More to this story I am guessing.

x2, cheap at twice the price and you're gonna have to live with this guy.

Grizz
Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
My share is $350 to 400. Well my post pretty much say the whole story. Is his attitude i cant stand.
So you are okay with the fence as requested

You are okay with the $400

You just don’t like the guy?

Is there a chance a request for a new fence has been in the air for sometime and you have been blowing him off?

Is there a chance you have been difficult to get along with?

Is there a chance he is mad at you?

Is there a possibility the person at fault depends upon whose point of view?

Is there a chance a relaxation of feelings and tempers is required to make a common sense decision on a simple fence?

Is there an opportunity to take a few beers over and say...hey neighbor...not sure when tempers started flying but how about we select a weekend in the next month in which we can build this bad boy then cook some burgers on the bbq?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Banned

the OP said it wasnt about money then says a few posts later money is tight... how do you buy a house in a new neighborhood and not plan for building a fence?

I can see the ops house now. Fence only on one side. No grass. No final grade. No deck in the back... it will sit that way for years because hes too cheap to do what you need to do with a new house.

The first thing I would be doing in a new neighborhood is talk with my neighbors when moving in. Stop being a cheap bastard and pay the minor cost for the fence.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
My share is $350 to 400. Well my post pretty much say the whole story. Is his attitude i cant stand.
Then don't hang out with him.
But paying for your share of the fence is the right thing to do.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I have had neighbors like you. Too busy to help, lots of time to sit on the deck and drink beer though, too tight to cough $400 to cover half the cost and still wants to tell me how I am going to do the job. In the time you have been complaining on here you could have built half the fence. You seriously want to call the Cops over a fence. Not much wonder your neighbor is a little ****ed off. Generally find you get what you give, your bad attitude will be directly reflected in his.
Well said. He approached you three times and you keep blowing him off. Likely he has some help or time this weekend and can’t wait anymore. Who wants to spend the heat of summer building a fence when you could be at the lake or fishing. Maybe try and work with a guy rather than make demands.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Doesn't make sense. You should be forking over $400 in a heartbeat. More to this story I am guessing.
Bingo...like to hear the other guys side.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:26 AM

When I bought in spruce grove I couldn’t wait for my neighbour. Had a 2 year old and 6 year old I had to keep in a fenced yard.

I don’t think this thread went the way the OP had hoped. Lol
Old 05-18-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If he is being a rectum tell him to get stuffed. The second it touches your property line you have a say. Until then, he can do whatever he wants on his side. You will get a free fence on 1 side. Play the game to match the competition.
Quote:
I dont think i can go and fight with him when he is building a fence (not worth going to jail for $300 lol). In that case, what should i do if he buillds on the property line (or) even if he moved inside my property?

AG
Where in what I wrote does it say anything about fighting him. Go to jail for what?
He can not do anything on your property. If he does call the city. They will straighten him out.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
He was threatening me saying i will get it as a man to man..come on comeon fight with me...I asked him to leave before i call the cops and he left.
If you figure you can beat the crap out of the guy have him sign an agreement to a fist fight with witnesses present and beat the crap out of him. The winner gets to decide what happens with the fence.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM

It's a beautiful weekend. If you can't help you should give him $600 and say here's an extra $200 for labor cuz I can't be there on short notice.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Luckily, it's raining steadily in Calgary. No one in their right mind would be fencing in this weather.
This will give the OP time to formulate a reasonable reply to the neighbour.

IMO, $400 seems like a pretty reasonable estimate for your half of the supplies and auger rental on this fence. Depends on the quality of materials. Actual cost will likely be higher.

My guess is that after 3 visits, the neighbour is losing patience with you. Cooperation is key to having a good relationship with your neighbours.
Pick a timeframe in the near future when you can help. Discuss the fence styles that will work. Make it clear that you are willing to pay your share (unless you want a poor relationship with your neighbour). Build it on the property line like good neighbours would. If you can't help with the construction, allow access to your yard in order to make the process easier.

FYI - you can go up to a max of 6'6" in Calgary. Sounds like it might be worth the added expense.

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...direct=/fences
Old 05-18-2019, 10:51 AM
Banned

A little off topic, but does anybody know the Edmonton rules in regards to tearing down an existing fence when the neighbor is too much of a tightwad to pay half for a new one?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
I suspect the police idea came into play when the guy was threatening the OP and calling on him to fight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep..I am totally ok with building the fence. I am against his attitude. If he would have discussed with me and said ok 48 ft wont work for us and bit expensive, lets do32 ft...Am like sure man. But the way he walked into the house and said no am not building you a free fence, but i want a fence by sunday. No buddy am sorry. If you want you build it.

Once he threatened to hit me, thats where i said sorry am not interested and he can leave and i wont pay anything. Whats wrong with that?

He want to start building from today and he want me to drop all the plans and immediately go and help him. I am sorry am not going to do that.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Well said. He approached you three times and you keep blowing him off. Likely he has some help or time this weekend and can’t wait anymore. Who wants to spend the heat of summer building a fence when you could be at the lake or fishing. Maybe try and work with a guy rather than make demands.
He approached monday, tuesday and friday...we already have plans for this weekend and i told him i can definitely help me in june or july long weekend.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This^^^^^^

Sounds like it’s your way or no way as well. I’d like to heR your neighbours side of this child like argument!

BW
Totally because he is bulying and harassing me for last 1 and 1/2 years. He will water my grass from my water tap without asking me. He want to do all on his way and immediately ....i dont think thats right. You want something, les discuss and i would be more than happy to help u.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So you are okay with the fence as requested

You are okay with the $400

You just don’t like the guy?

Is there a chance a request for a new fence has been in the air for sometime and you have been blowing him off?

Is there a chance you have been difficult to get along with?

Is there a chance he is mad at you?

Is there a possibility the person at fault depends upon whose point of view?

Is there a chance a relaxation of feelings and tempers is required to make a common sense decision on a simple fence?

Is there an opportunity to take a few beers over and say...hey neighbor...not sure when tempers started flying but how about we select a weekend in the next month in which we can build this bad boy then cook some burgers on the bbq?
Yep totally ok even if is 1000$i dont care. But he need to ask me, give me some time and ask my concern instead of saying, ok this is what i want and i am starting to build it right now. Oh and i need half of the cost.....I feel harassed and bullied by this guy.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
i went with a tin fence with metal stringers welded to the steel posts.
pics?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:25 AM

I built a new 6 ft fence. The neighbor never helped me or never paid for any material. I had one post I concreted in that moved on me and was an inch off of the post line. So I built the fence fudging in the line so the fence was perfectly straight.
Neighbor did not like the way I built it so he never asked me just changed it all. Now the fence is crooked. I just thought to myself you are the biggest A-hole I know so I am going to let it be. Other things that neighbor did to other people proved me correct he is nuts but he gets away with it.
Now I have a new neighbor and if I wanted to build a fence in the pouring rain he would be out there helping me. I help the new neighbor any chance I get.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
When I bought in spruce grove I couldn’t wait for my neighbour. Had a 2 year old and 6 year old I had to keep in a fenced yard.

I don’t think this thread went the way the OP had hoped. Lol
No hoping bro...i am just wondering what to do legally? thats it. Is not his way or my way. We are in Canada and i prefer to do things legally acceptable. Not coming into my house and asking lets fight now............For what ? stupid $300 lol
Old 05-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
So as per you, you are saying even if i have doctor appointment, visiting families i have to leave everything and start helping this guy because he needs today morning. How is it fair? i never said i wont pay...i never said i wont help..........All i am saying is he needs to discuss with me what time will work and thats perfectly ok for me. Instead of coming into my house and threatening me.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Totally because he is bulying and harassing me for last 1 and 1/2 years. He will water my grass from my water tap without asking me. He want to do all on his way and immediately ....i dont think thats right. You want something, les discuss and i would be more than happy to help u.
I’m sure glad we’re not neighbors. You can’t even keep your story straight on your own thread. You sound like your very difficult to get along with.

BW
Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I’m sure glad we’re not neighbors. You can’t even keep your story straight on your own thread. You sound like your very difficult to get along with.

BW
Am not sure how am i being difficult mr BW...there is nothing wrong in everyone needing a personal space. If this is in a shared space, all am asking is can we sit and discuss when we are free, what design and how long do we need? finally can we talk about labor and when are we free and boom done. Instead of one person wanting his way and the other neighbour has to agree for his demands.....
Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Am not sure how am i being difficult mr BW...there is nothing wrong in everyone needing a personal space. If this is in a shared space, all am asking is can we sit and discuss when we are free, what design and how long do we need? finally can we talk about labor and when are we free and boom done. Instead of one person wanting his way and the other neighbour has to agree for his demands.....
Yep, your a freaking Angel and your neighbor is Satan incarnate. I agree with BW, real glad you didn't move in next to me! I am done, this is the biggest loser thread yet this year for sure.
Closed Thread