Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Vinyl Deck Material & Cost

Hey fellas. I’m looking at covering a deck in a vinyl material as it is a second level deck and underneath is a concrete patio from the walkout basement. So I basically want to waterproof the deck above the concrete patio and possibly eventually screen the concrete area in for a nice place to sit when it rains and to get away from the bugs. Anyone have any experience with these vinyl deck coverings, the good the bad, etc? What brands to stay away from? Also I can not find anything on the internet in regards to pricing per square foot I could call a few places but it’s the long weekend. I think it is something that I want to get professionally installed to have it done right and get the longest life span possible out of it. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:08 PM

I used a Duncan product on my deck, 10 years later water is leaking through. it is south facing which didn't help. It was a easy do it your self project. Back then it cost about $800 for 13'x16' Duncan sells paint now for their vinyl which may help get more life out of it. I noticed it start to degrade at 5 years. There are better products like Dura dek but I think they only sell to contractors. Having a sheltered area under the deck for our walk out is really nice
Old 05-19-2019, 04:43 AM

Have had Duradeck in two houses now. Life span is about 20 years. No warranty unless installed by Duradeck trained installer. Quite expensive but it is waterproof, we had it on a deck that formed the roof for a basement storage room below it. Cost for a 60x16 deck was about $9,000 installed. This included the plywood underlay.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:03 AM

We went with concrete. Should last as long as the house.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This included the plywood underlay.
Is the plywood underlay something that the installers have to do as well or is that something that I can do myself. I did read that it need to be T & G plywood. I’m assuming that is to have a nicer seam rather then 2 pieces butted end for end.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Is the plywood underlay something that the installers have to do as well or is that something that I can do myself. I did read that it need to be T & G plywood. I’m assuming that is to have a nicer seam rather then 2 pieces butted end for end.
It does have to be Tongue and Groove, and a certain type of plywood, as in not the green weather treated stuff. Also needs to be a certain thickness and stringer spacing. Should be able to get the exact specs from the Duradeck installer and lay the plywood yourself. Installer needs to putty and sand all seams/screw holes then apply glue and Duradeck. Quite honestly, laying the plywood was a pretty minor chunk of the bill once you accounted for material costs for the wood, screws etc. I think laying the plywood took maybe 2-3 hours out of a 3 day job.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:30 PM

https://perfectsurfaces.ca/product/duragrid-deck-tile/

Try this stuff. We've had it on the deck for 15 years, and it looks like the day we put it down. Easy to do yourself, water goes right through it so it's dry in 10 minutes and a snow shovel doesn't even leave a mark.
One of my buddies was telling me they had it on a warehouse floor, and ran small forklifts on it with no effect.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
https://perfectsurfaces.ca/product/duragrid-deck-tile/

Try this stuff. We've had it on the deck for 15 years, and it looks like the day we put it down. Easy to do yourself, water goes right through it so it's dry in 10 minutes and a snow shovel doesn't even leave a mark.
One of my buddies was telling me they had it on a warehouse floor, and ran small forklifts on it with no effect.
That stuff looks more like what I might use on the concrete pad for my walkout instead. I want the top deck to be waterproof so it runs off the deck so the one pad underneath stays dry.