Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 04:37 PM

Before ever buying ( rebuilt/repairs) insist on before and after pics. Some guys do good woot and others do bad that just look good. After all it’s your child’s life in that thing. 900,000 used cars on the market why take one that the insurance deemed not worthy of fixing. Granted some are write offs due to minor vandalism or hail damage. Not structure damage. Photos will let you know.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Before ever buying ( rebuilt/repairs) insist on before and after pics. Some guys do good woot and others do bad that just look good. After all it’s your child’s life in that thing. 900,000 used cars on the market why take one that the insurance deemed not worthy of fixing. Granted some are write offs due to minor vandalism or hail damage. Not structure damage. Photos will let you know.
It really depends what happened to the car. Back in 1999 I bought a "salvaged" 1999 Hyundai Accent. It was a stolen car and after day 2 of not locating it, the insurance company wrote it off. It was found the next day 3 blocks away with the stereo gone. Our neighbor, who is an autobody mechanic, picked it up for a song, went over it top to bottom put a new stereo in it and sold it to us for a great deal (it had 13,000 km on it.) We drove it for 3 years and put 60,000km on it and sold it for about $1000 less than we originally paid. Sometimes those salvages can be worth it!

The only thing I didn't like about the car was the color - polynesian green!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Ford guy here, drive a 2010 Fusion. Great sedan, the 6 sp is fun. I have had uncles and aunts drive the focus in wagons, base models and the sporty ones, non of them had tranny issues(although Ford did have some glitches for sure). If you drive them nice, they should hold up. I suspect your daughter won't be racing all her friends lol.

Before you throw away the idea of buying a Focus, go drive it and go through the gears at all speeds. If it drives nice, shifts nice, it is most likely a nice car.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Question . Is it possible some on here are refering to a 6 speed manual and others are refering to the dreaded 6 speed dual clutch auto ?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM

The Focus in question is actually an automatic with the dual clutch....but it's neither here nor there at this point. Not that I would be worried about buying the Focus but.....

I found a nice little 2012 Yaris LE with 106K km on it. One of our fine members from AO happens to be a great mechanic, and is doing a 3rd party inspection on the car right now as I type. It's going to be $3500 less for me to buy, all in, than the Focus, and it's the car my daughter really wants....(and quite frankly, we have had super results with the other two Yaris that her older sisters are driving)....so, if it gets a clean bill of health, we will be going to pick it up tomorrow.

On I side note, I ran a lien check on it (because I ALWAYS run lien checks, whether a vehicle is on an AMVIC lot or not)....and it came up as having a registered lien. I called them up, and it is held by their parent company, and will be released / clear title if I buy. Anybody else ever run across that? And do you all run lien checks no matter what? I always figure it is a bargain for $16.75 through AMA, piece of mind and no surprises......

Will keep you posted, and again, thanks for all the replies. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-17-2018, 03:10 PM

Well, the Yaris needs some overdue love and attention, but we are going to go ahead and buy it and let Spencer go after it with all his skill and expertise! When it's done, we will know exactly what we have, and my daughter will have a like new Yaris that she is already loving. So that's the way she rolls. That will make an '08, '12, '14 Yaris, an '06 Tacoma, and an '09 Venza in the Kids' Fleet (with one 2004 Echo retired)....Love those Toyotas.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
.... Yaris that she is already loving.....
Huh, didn't think that was possible!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Huh, didn't think that was possible!
What's not to love (keeping in mind she learned to drive in one)? Cute as a speckled pup, reliable as taxes, and cheaper than a Scotsman on fuel.....i didn't want to offend anyone by calling it a Chick Car, because quite frankly I have bombed around in our various models plenty. But it ain't a Porsche Cayman, true!

Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM

Not a 14 but I had an 10 manual. Not one problem with the car. Could go from St. Albert to Regina on a 40l tank.
Sold it for Honda Odyssey, which gave me some grief.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 AM

I would avoid. Drove an Escape for work, and the transmission let go at 65,000kms. Call me a liar but I'm fairly certain the engine/transmission in my old work Escape is shared with the Focus. I believe Ford has a recall out for this issue.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 AM

There is a class action lawsuit in Canada over the terrible transmissions.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
What's not to love (keeping in mind she learned to drive in one)? Cute as a speckled pup, reliable as taxes, and cheaper than a Scotsman on fuel.....i didn't want to offend anyone by calling it a Chick Car, because quite frankly I have bombed around in our various models plenty. But it ain't a Porsche Cayman, true!
Tell me you weren't drinking a non-alcoholic mojito whilst bombing around??
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Tell me you weren't drinking a non-alcoholic mojito whilst bombing around??

Heaven forbid! In fact, I usually wear a disguise, wouldn't want someone who knows me to see me driving an economical 'girlie' car..

I'm pretty secure about myself, the car doesn't make the man. But, buying your daughters all good, safe, dependable Toyotas...might just make you a good dad.